Belarus Airforce

Klaus

Flight tests of the Grif UAV have commenced. The aircraft has a weight of 120 kg and can carry a 35 kg payload. It will be used for ISR missions as well as for ECR. After having completed this programm, Belarus intends to develop a heavier UAV (500 kg). (source: AIR International magazine)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Belarus is going ahead with procurement of the Grif-1 UAV. It's undergoing trials right now, but these are neither state nor factory trials. They're development trials. The 558th Repair Factory plans to produce 6 complexes by the end of next year, each with several vehicles, and 4 UAVs each.

БеÑпилотники "Гриф-1" закупит МО БелоруÑÑии*—*ОÐ*УЖИЕ Ð*ОССИИ, Информационное агентÑтво

http://www.lenta.ru/news/2012/10/24/uavs/

These are rather bold plans, for a UAV that has yet to pass factory trials, never mind state trials and experimental exploitation.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
A little update, a photo session from the 558th Air-Repair Factory in Belarus shows photos of the Su-30K being overhauled, for Rosoboroneksport, and two Grif-1 UAVs, one of them in Russian VVS colors. It still has a Belorussian flag on the tail, but the colorscheme is very close to the new Russian VVS one.

samoletchik - 558

There's also shots of Su-17M being repaired for an unknown customer, and MiG-29BM upgrades.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which countries do still operate Su-17s? Could it be Syria or Vietnam?
Poland does. Vietnam too. The type was extremely numerous, but saw little resale post-Cold War, so the bulk of them turned into scrap metal after rotting under the open sky for 10-15 years. Libya had a bunch, pre-civil war. How many are still flyable is anyone's guess. However they were still using them in 2011. Granted theirs are the Su-22 variant. Yemen still has some Su-22s.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Belarus has retired their last Su-27. Their entire fighter aviation now consists of two squadrons of MiG-29.

bmpd -

This is most likely due to financial constraints rather then age as similar age Su-27s continue to serve in the Russian airforce (and others). It's possible they didn't want to pay the cost of overhauling them to keep them flyable.

There is also the issue of replacements. As it stands the best option would be for them to buy the Su-30KN that are already at the repair plant in Baranovichi. But so far there's been little news of that.

Finally the retired planes are supposedly getting sold to a company called ECA Program which plans to rent an airbase in Iceland and train other countries airforces there.

alexkvaskov

As it stands the best option would be for them to buy the Su-30KN that are already at the repair plant in Baranovichi.
I've read those jets are for Vietnam, is this true?

Finally the retired planes are supposedly getting sold to a company called ECA Program which plans to rent an airbase in Iceland and train other countries airforces there.
Very interesting - I think there are many countries around the world that would be interesting in trying out potential rivals' fighters in an OPFOR environment. The problem will be replicating said rivals' tactics. And it's like these are the most modern Flankers either. Still, it's interesting the path FSU hardware sometimes takes.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've read those jets are for Vietnam, is this true?
Vietnam has no problem purchasing brand new Su-30MK2s. Why would they want the thoroughly used KNs?

I mean, I suppose it's possible, but I think a poorer customer is more likely.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
A small update, Belarus just signed a contract for 4 Yak-130 to be delivered in 2015.

Lenta.ru:
http://bmpd.livejournal.com/410247.html

A very small number of aircraft, but maybe they don't need anymore given that they now only have two squadrons of MiG-29s, and no other fighter planes. They also did get some second-hand L-39s from Ukraine earlier.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
A small update, Belarus just signed a contract for 4 Yak-130 to be delivered in 2015.

Lenta.ru:
http://bmpd.livejournal.com/410247.html

A very small number of aircraft, but maybe they don't need anymore given that they now only have two squadrons of MiG-29s, and no other fighter planes. They also did get some second-hand L-39s from Ukraine earlier.

Klaus

Belarus could also order more trainers later, when the state has resolved its financial problems. I doubt that it makes much sense to put a new aircraft type into service with a fleet of only 4 aircraft.

Does anybody know how many Su-24 are still operational? Two years ago there were 34, but there were plans to retire them in the near future.

alexkvaskov

Belarus could also order more trainers later, when the state has resolved its financial problems. I doubt that it makes much sense to put a new aircraft type into service with a fleet of only 4 aircraft.

Does anybody know how many Su-24 are still operational? Two years ago there were 34, but there were plans to retire them in the near future.
The Su-24 was withdrawn from service earlier this year, according to the defense minister of Belarus.

Lenta.ru:

Klaus

So they only got the MiG-29 and Su-25 left? If the proposed purchase of the above-mentioned Su-30s won't be concluded, there will be no aircraft in the inventory with the capability of using bvr air-to-ground weapons...

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
So they only got the MiG-29 and Su-25 left? If the proposed purchase of the above-mentioned Su-30s won't be concluded, there will be no aircraft in the inventory with the capability of using bvr air-to-ground weapons...
As if they had a lot of those to begin with... and I mean the weapons, as well as the aircraft. I think they just don't have the money to buy anything modern. Truth is they should probably be operating 2-3 squadrons of upgraded Flankers, and it would be enough for their needs.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like Belarus will be getting more S-300s. Supposedly 4 btlns will be handed over in 2014. Also a Russian airbase, in 2015. This seems a logical extension of current CSTO agreements. And as larger and larger quantities of S-300P and PM variants get retired from the VVS, more and more of them will be available for either donation to allies, or sell-off to third world customers.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because they can't afford basic Russian upgrades? Or they just want to maintain local industry?
I suspect a little bit of column A, a little bit of column B. Their ARZ also produces UAVs, so it's probably being developed as a national military aerospace enterprise. The only real upgrade Russia offers for vintage Flankers is the SM package, and it's not that impressive. Or that cheap. Then again I don't know what kind of upgrade they could perform on their own.

EDIT: Apparently they're also planning to upgrade the Su-25s and MiG-29s. these plans are starting to look less believable.

http://military-informant.com/index.php/airforce/4641-1.html