AWACS Technology

XEROX

Would it be feasible to develop an AWACS with Active Electronically Scanned Array technology (AESA), rather then continuing with the Active Phased Array Electronic Scanning Technology?

A long way from mechanically rotating antenna (rotodome) AWACS I suppose?

adsH

Phalcons and Eyiree (spelling) are AESA its all the same !! they are al electronically scanned AWACS. the Rotordome (spelling :) ) on the E3c is old tech.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Some EWO's I know of still prefer the rotordomes on the E3's. They argue that they get better sensitivity out of the analogue system

One would have to question that normally, but, they're the operators, so maybe they are more comfortable with it.

Wedgetail is also AESA/MESA

Rotterdam is in the Netherlands and would struggle to fit on top of an E3. ;)

adsH

gf0012-aust said:
Rotterdam is in the Netherlands and would struggle to fit on top of an E3. ;)
what can i say its not my fault its my spellcheck that must of had a fit!! it automatically alters spellings when i submit stuff.

XEROX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is it true that IAI is offering 4 “Phalcon†AWACS to South Korea for $1.7b??

manna

All french for me gentlemen, but now have learned something , i mean i have got a fair idea now , will definitly explore this technicality involved in this world famous and renoun system
:!:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
manna said:
All french for me gentlemen, but now have learned something , i mean i have got a fair idea now , will definitly explore this technicality involved in this world famous and renoun system
:!:
The French actually use ex USAF E3 Sentry's and E2 Hawkeyes. Their own attempt at an AEW platform involved a DC-8 which was an unmitigated disaster. Not powerful enough, insufficient system cooling and hopeless range.

If you want French AEW/AWACs systems you will be waiting for a long long time.

darklegent

Aegis is a system, AWACs is a function.
Hmmm.
What exactly wud the russian equalvalent for the Aegis be ? I know that china is working on something based on the same line, cud some1 plz post the specifications 4 the same.