Australia's new Sea Mine "Bag"

A

Aussie Digger

DEFENCE MINISTER FLOATS NEW SEA SAFETY DEVICE

Defence Minister Robert Hill today unveiled the latest technology developed by Defence and Australian industry for the safe and reliable removal of underwater explosive mines.

Senator Hill activated the Royal Australian Navy’s first Cormorant Lift Bag during a demonstration at the Sydney Aquarium this morning.

The Cormorant Lift Bag will be deployed on Australia’s six Huon class Coastal Minehunter ships which use active sonar to detect undersea mines then send in diving teams or remote devices to dispose of them safely. The prototype unit is currently being used by our Navy clearance divers.

"Sea mines are a significant hazard for navy operations and commercial shipping because they are cheap to make, easy to deploy and becoming increasingly sophisticated and hard to detect," Senator Hill said.

"It is conservatively estimated that 41 navies are capable of laying mines, 31 countries manufacture them and over 20 countries export them. As we saw last year, underwater mines delayed the delivery of urgent humanitarian aid to the people of Iraq until our Navy divers moved quickly to clear the port of Umm Qasr.

"The safe disposal of sea mines is a high priority for the Navy and technologies such as the new lift bag will assist the diving team to carry out their clearance operations in safety."

The Cormorant Lift Bag is activated from a remote control unit that can be located up to a kilometre away, ensuring safety for the divers. The lift bag fills with air from the cylinders contained within its assembly unit, bringing the mine to the surface. On recovery, the mine can be towed to a safe place for defusing or detonation. Capable of lifting underwater objects weighing up to 1000 kg from depths down to 90 metres without the use of an explosive charge, the bag can also be used for civilian applications such as search and rescue and salvage operations.

The technology was developed by the Defence Science and Technology Organisation and the Royal Australian Navy in partnership with two small Tasmanian companies Liferaft Systems Australia and Fiomarine Industries Pty Ltd. Liferaft Systems Australia won a contract worth more than $850,000 to design and manufacture the prototype of the mine lift bag. Fiomarine developed the acoustic communication and actuation system for its remote operation and float management.

Senator Hill said the collaboration was another fine example of Defence working with industry to develop a product that adds to Australia’s mine warfare capability. As a result of the collaboration, Liferaft Systems has been able to expand its product range and enter new markets.

"This latest technology demonstrates how good we are at generating innovative ideas but also following through with the production of a world-class product that has significant potential for exports," Senator Hill said.

"We have developed a low-cost but superior Australian solution when no commercial product was available to meet the Navy’s need to lift heavier loads from greater depths without using an explosive charge.

"Defence’s collaborative work with small firms is reaping innovative rewards for Defence capability.

"There are now more opportunities for small and medium enterprises to engage with Defence. Both DMO and DSTO are increasing their industry exposure through the proposed Small Business Gateway and the Defence Science Access Network.

"These arrangements can only be good for strengthening the domestic industry base and enhancing Defence capability."

Here's the pics...