Australian M1A1 Abrams technology

Ozzy Blizzard

On the same sheet, I saw that Kuwait, with less than 2 million people, has 218 M-1s. No mention was made regarding the status of the tanks themselves, hence the "tiny" comment.

We have a lot more than 1800 M-1s... btw.

I miss the good old days, when a Regiment was called a Regiment, instead of a brigade. We have the same kind of thing going on over here too, makes a one-star general feel better about commanding less than 3,000 men, I suppose.

The point is, you have a vast territory, and an even more vast area of interest. Would it not make sense to stockpile a larger amount of material, even if there are no trained men to crew them at the moment?
The point is we haven't been reliant on the army as a major defenceive arm ever and it is less nesisariy for that role now. We may have a huge land mass which we could use to our advantage if need be, but our real defencive barrier is the Sea-Air gap to the north of the country. Basicly its our moat. Now for any aggressor they have to project nessisary forces through our moat (At least parity in numbers but 2~3 to 1 superiority would be what you want, we have basically 3 full time brigades 3~4 reserve brigades) land them on ground that is pretty damn hostile, trust me my auntie lives in Darwin, its not a place you would want to launch an amphibious operation. They then will have maritime lines of communication running back through the sea air gap. Now i'll get to the point. The reason we only need a "battalion" or regiment of M1's when Kewait has 218 is because our defencive doctrine is built arround the air force and the navy, not the army. We have 4 squadrons of harpoon equiped fighters (about the same fire power as a Nimitz CVN air wing, and we just bought JASSM which is apt to be one of the best anti shipping weapons around given its passive seeker and LO), these coupled with early warning from JORN our Jindabee over the horizon radar network (google it if you don't know what it is), Wedgetail AEW&C & Unmanned ISR platforms such as Global Hawk give us a fearsome marritime strike capability. And to add to that we have 6 Collins class submarines which are widely reguarded as some of the best SSK's in the world, and for the most part have USN level systems. The doctorine of submarines coupled with a significant air threat and capable ISR platforms is a very effective one and you only have to look at the soviets to see the level of effort is needed to counter it. Now this combination means that ANY nation trying to project forces into the air-sea gap is going to have a very very bad time and there is only one power on this earth who has the strategic force projection power to do so, and its our closest ally. So the reason we dont need 200 tanks is because no threat nation is ever going to land anywere near enough forces to challenge 51.

By the way he did state that only 1800 M1's were operational in the same way as our ones with 8000 odd in reserve/storage.

A

Aussie Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The point is, you have a vast territory, and an even more vast area of interest. Would it not make sense to stockpile a larger amount of material, even if there are no trained men to crew them at the moment?
It would if there were a reasonable level of threat to our nation.

Which nation could land an invasion force capable of travelling the thousands of kilometres of our Country to our major population base, or alternatively transiting the thousands of kilometres of sea lanes to land an invasion fleet which could then reach our major population centres, seeing as though you seem to think that so important?

For what possible reason would a foreign nation do such a thing? Sheer malevolence?

The idea that we need to maintain forces capable of responding to a massive nation wide invasion is lunacy. If no Country possesses such a capability, why bother defending against it?

In reality, the USA is the only Country that possesses anything like this sort of capability and the US land forces are rather pre-occupied at present as I understand...

Hence maintaining deployable forces is the priority for our Army and our defence planners see very few scenario's where we would need to deploy more than a Squadron's worth of tanks.

3x Squadron's worth of tanks allows us to deploy a Squadron's worth virtually indefinitely...

Hopefully this makes sense now...

Manfred2

No, that is not what I was wondering about. You have a moat, and one hell of a big sand-box between you and teh nearest bad guys.

However, it was mentioned how streached the US is with just 2 areas of operation. Now, with the ability to make one deployment to an area of concern, what happens when more than one problem pops up?

Say, for instance; Timor heats up again, and then Thailand asks for help with the Muslim situation in the south of the country? What if a general war between Malaysia and Indonesia flares up?

While the US is busy elsewhere, we cannot lend boots on the ground in any great numbers. A few Dozen tanks can be a formidable force in a small war, but wars have a way of getting bigger.

However... there is a 90% chance that they will be enough, and I'm no Cassandra.
The other extreem is Egypt, with 800 such tanks. Who are they afraid of, Lybia? They get thier military tradition from the Italians, pity them. Sudan? Nope. In the years to come, we might get an intersting look at how the Merkava stacks up against a real tank. :)

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
No, that is not what I was wondering about. You have a moat, and one hell of a big sand-box between you and teh nearest bad guys.

However, it was mentioned how streached the US is with just 2 areas of operation. Now, with the ability to make one deployment to an area of concern, what happens when more than one problem pops up?

Say, for instance; Timor heats up again, and then Thailand asks for help with the Muslim situation in the south of the country? What if a general war between Malaysia and Indonesia flares up?

While the US is busy elsewhere, we cannot lend boots on the ground in any great numbers. A few Dozen tanks can be a formidable force in a small war, but wars have a way of getting bigger.

However... there is a 90% chance that they will be enough, and I'm no Cassandra.
The other extreem is Egypt, with 800 such tanks. Who are they afraid of, Lybia? They get thier military tradition from the Italians, pity them. Sudan? Nope. In the years to come, we might get an intersting look at how the Merkava stacks up against a real tank. :)
The U.S may not be able to place alot of boots on the ground but they would be able to put on one heck of a naval and air show that would place anyone insane enough to attack Australia to the bottom of the ocean floor. If the U.S assists in these two area`s, what ever makes it to shore will be dealt with ease by the Aussies. Lets not count out Australia`s naval forces either.

A

Aussie Digger

But that reasoning is what our Governments base their force structuring choices upon.

Defending Australia is the primary responsibility of the ADF. Given the large sand box as you call it, highly mobile forces are more suited to operations in this type of terrain. Hence the Army's focus upon light and motorised (wheeled) forces that can self deploy quickly over large distances without imposing upon higher level transport assets.

Army is directed by Government strategic advice to be capable of deploying a Brigade sized taskgroup to one area of operations, whilst simultaneously deploying a battalion sized taskgroup to a separate area of operations.

Obviously we could not deploy a mechanised brigade with it's inhered tank regiment for extended periods of time, so the brigade sized deployment would be primarily motorised or light infantry. Perhaps with a core "mechanised battlegroup" to give it some "punch".

Australia has not since WW2 deployed brigades as a whole to any of it's operational deployments. What we do is form a taskforce that is matched to a particular mission, with capabilities to match particular threats.

The types of operation you have suggested above, could probably be met without any tank capability at all. Certainly Australia has intervened in Timor numerous times since 1999 and has never deployed a tank capability there at all.

The Phillipines could be a deployment option "down the track" indeed such deployments have been mooted many times. With the more organised nature of the rebels there, any deployment of Australian conventional soldiers may indeed see MBT's deployed, however a troop sized detachment would probably be about all that was deployed.

I doubt very much they'd use the tanks in normal patrolling operations, but for certain operations, possibly, hence they could probably get away with only a few tanks being deployed.

AS you've said, wars have a way of getting bigger and I can see your point. Whilst we are not actively involved in a war I think our Tank Regiment is about all we need for training value and a limited deployment capability.

I don't see too many obstacles to obtaining more such tanks should we need them though. The US has quite a few in storage I understand...

Manfred2

Good answer Digger, that covered just about everything, thanks!

I had questions about a possible Aircraft Carrier, but that is for a different forum...

A

Aussie Digger

The U.S may not be able to place alot of boots on the ground but they would be able to put on one heck of a naval and air show that would place anyone insane enough to attack Australia to the bottom of the ocean floor. If the U.S assists in these two area`s, what ever makes it to shore will be dealt with ease by the Aussies. Lets not count out Australia`s naval forces either.
Precisely.

1x US Carrier coming to assist us would equal the size of our existing air combat force and would immediately double the amount of air combat squadrons capable of defending our Country.

2x Arleigh Burke Destroyers would equal at least 20% (if not more) of our entire surface fleet combat power.

The US's ability to come to our aid cannot be doubted and I very much doubt they would refuse to do so, if we were threatened.

The talk by APA etc that the USA might be "side lined" is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to justify their irrational ideas.

Manfred,

no problems mate.

Whilst our M1 purchase may look small and somewhat insignificant, it is sufficient for us for the forseeable future.

Cheers

AD

Ozzy Blizzard

Precisely.

1x US Carrier coming to assist us would equal the size of our existing air combat force and would immediately double the amount of air combat squadrons capable of defending our Country.

2x Arleigh Burke Destroyers would equal at least 20% (if not more) of our entire surface fleet combat power.

The US's ability to come to our aid cannot be doubted and I very much doubt they would refuse to do so, if we were threatened.

The talk by APA etc that the USA might be "side lined" is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to justify their irrational ideas.
LOL, so any talk of australia actually defending herself is part of some APA propaganda??? AD your as bad as AGRA. Sounds more like the anti APA ilk using the alliance to justify their point of view. But it continually amazes me were APA seems to pop up. Any critisism of the F35 means your carlo kopp :)lol3), any talk of australia defending herself is just a pathetic attempt by APA to justify their cause, hell when Malaysia states it wants to buy the super hornett it has something to do with god damn APA! And you claim APA are using irrelevent points to justify their point of view?!?

So we should base the doctorine of the defence of our nation upon the capabilities and will of a foregin power???? Did the Americans directly intervene in Isreals time of need????? But they automatically will for us right, and therefore we can base our choice of capabilities arround that assumption? The british did in 1942 didnt they, i cant remember???? We seemed to rely upon britain for the defence of australia and that worked out really well didnt it? But it seems the ADF doesn't agree with you as we have maintained sufficient capability to deter any major naval power, apart from the US, since 1945 and will continue to do so. So i hope the people who make the desisions dont take your advice and make the same mistake we made in untill 1942, relying upon a foregin power for the defence in our nation. That relationship was alot closer than this one, and we paid for it with the blood of 1 & a half generations. A put load of good that did us when we needed it huh. The highest per capita casualties of any nation in someone else's war, of cource the worlds largest naval power would interviene if anyone threatened Australia, we even have the same head of state? No? Well this time its different and this time they will for sure!

The US alliance is by far our most important i am in no way disputing that or claiming that we should diminish it in some way. But when someone states that we should base our defenceive doctorine and choice of capabilities arround the ability for our nation to defend itself, and you claim that statement is just a ploy by carlo kopp and Goon so they can get their proposal for future RAAF force structure aproved it deserves a response. WE should have the ability to defend OURSELVES and not make the same mistake of relying on SOMEONE ELSE to do it. We made a massive mistake in doing so before.

A

Aussie Digger

LOL, so any talk of australia actually defending herself is part of some APA propaganda??? AD your as bad as AGRA. Sounds more like the anti APA ilk using the alliance to justify their point of view. But it continually amazes me were APA seems to pop up. Any critisism of the F35 means your carlo kopp :)lol3), any talk of australia defending herself is just a pathetic attempt by APA to justify their cause, hell when Malaysia states it wants to buy the super hornett it has something to do with god damn APA! And you claim APA are using irrelevent points to justify their point of view?!?

So we should base the doctorine of the defence of our nation upon the capabilities and will of a foregin power???? Did the Americans directly intervene in Isreals time of need????? But they automatically will for us right, and therefore we can base our choice of capabilities arround that assumption? The british did in 1942 didnt they, i cant remember???? We seemed to rely upon britain for the defence of australia and that worked out really well didnt it? But it seems the ADF doesn't agree with you as we have maintained sufficient capability to deter any major naval power, apart from the US, since 1945 and will continue to do so. So i hope the people who make the desisions dont take your advice and make the same mistake we made in untill 1942, relying upon a foregin power for the defence in our nation. That relationship was alot closer than this one, and we paid for it with the blood of 1 & a half generations. A put load of good that did us when we needed it huh. The highest per capita casualties of any nation in someone else's war, of cource the worlds largest naval power would interviene if anyone threatened Australia, we even have the same head of state? No? Well this time its different and this time they will for sure!

The US alliance is by far our most important i am in no way disputing that or claiming that we should diminish it in some way. But when someone states that we should base our defenceive doctorine and choice of capabilities arround the ability for our nation to defend itself, and you claim that statement is just a ploy by carlo kopp and Goon so they can get their proposal for future RAAF force structure aproved it deserves a response. WE should have the ability to defend OURSELVES and not make the same mistake of relying on SOMEONE ELSE to do it. We made a massive mistake in doing so before.
Calm down and wipe all that froth away from your mouth...

When did I state we couldn't defend ourselves?

I notice you didn't use any of my "quotes" just then either. Funny because I don't actually remember saying any of those things.

We went from discussing our relatively small M1A1 Abrams acquisition to discussing some of the reasons BEHIND such a small acquisition. One of them is that we don't face a significant threat.

Now APA seems to think so as they regurgitate so often along these lines. If Australia WERE to face an invasion from some Superpower capable of crossing the formidable geographic challenges to reach us then our force structure would INDEED be inadequate. That there IS no such threat is the reason we can get by with operating 59x Abrams tanks and 55x operational Hornet fighters and 17x F-111's.

If some Superpower suddenly emerged that could conceivably mount a realistic invasion of our Country then we most certainly WOULD need America's help.

If you think ADF seriously believe it's current force structure is adequate to defend Australia against such a scenario then I think you need to step away from a while and re-read ADF's strategic white paper.

In fact as you're so upset about it, I'll even provide the relevent section for you. It can be found under subsection 3.38 on page 23 of the White Paper 2000 it reads,

"A full-scale invasion of Australia, aimed at the seizure of our country and the erasure or subjagation of our national polity, is the least likely military contingency Australia might face. No Country has either the intent or the ability to undertake such a massive task. The region's major powers could conceivably develop the capabilities to undertake an invasion of the continent, but none has anything like that level of capability at present, and it would take many years of major effort to develop. They would also need to establish major bases near Australia. Such developments are not credible unless there were to be major changes in the region's security environment".

Hence the ADF bases it's force structure around more credible scenario's.

So, now that we've got that out of the way, can you point out exactly where I suggested ADF couldn't handle "credible" scenario's for DoA operations?

I did suggest and continue to do so that APA use "in" credible scenario's to justify their desire to be awarded a nice juicy contract by the Government and Defence Department that they so regularly declaim as corrupt, incompetent or both.

In relation to comments I have made about the Super Hornet (and Malaysia, India AND Japan) is that IF the aircraft ISN'T as capable as the RAAF and USN believe and it is lacking in performance as APA so often states, why do these Countries continue to look so seriously at acquiring the aircraft? Of these Countries India and now Malaysia actually operate the aircraft that supposedly dominates the Super Hornet by such a large margin and yet they are STILL interested in it.

I never suggested APA has anything to do with this of the sort, but rather that APA might just be stretching the truth somewhat to suit their own agenda...

Now, let's get back to talking about M1A1's shall we?

PM me if you want to continue this discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

I hope I did not make you upset with the comment that I made in-regards to the U.S helping Australia out in time of need, it was a comment of friendship between both of our countries it was not taking anything away from Australia`s capabilities in defending herself.

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I hope I did not make you upset with the comment that I made in-regards to the U.S helping Australia out in time of need, it was a comment of friendship between both of our countries it was not taking anything away from Australia`s capabilities in defending herself.
That’s OK we know we have total force overmatch to our neighbours anyway., We also know that we actually have a treaty with the USA (called ANZUS) that stipulates when one country is attacked we will fight together in response. That's why Aussie and NZ forces were in Afghanistan right after September 11, 2001. As for Israel they don't have such a luxury but the US is very close, which is why in their times of need the US has had their forces on standby ready to go. Such as in 1973 when Syria and Egypt attacked, if either had broken through then the US would have started bombing to keep the Arab tanks from Tel Aviv.

But what does all this have to do with tanks? Well Australia has only maintained one regiment of full time tank troops since the 1950s. It’s a normal part of our force balance. Our regional force structure is not the same as central Europe during the Cold War or the Middle East today. So we don't need more tanks. The lesson is don't so quickly apply perceived balances to other environments. There is no tank formula that easily explains how many tanks each country should have.

eaf-f16

Would Egypt rank as second largest user of Abrams tanks? I think the Merkava Mk.4 is better than M1A1 Egypt is using but we do use depleted uranuim rounds :cool: so that might even the odds up a bit.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Jup, Egypt is the biggest foreign user of the Abrams.

Egypt seems to take security very yerious. It is not that easy to get pictures of their M1s.

Back to topic.
Are some mine plugs also ordered by Australia? The US seem to like them in Iraq for getting obstacles or small IEDs out of the way.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Would Egypt rank as second largest user of Abrams tanks? I think the Merkava Mk.4 is better than M1A1 Egypt is using but we do use depleted uranuim rounds :cool: so that might even the odds up a bit.
Sorry - Egypt does not use DU maingun rounds for their M1A1s. That was part of a agreement between Israel and the U.S during the purchasing process with Egypt.

eaf-f16

Last edited:

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hmm, thats interesting - I know they use the KE-W and KE-A1 year 2001, but they are Tungsten core. Which DU round did the U.S apparentely give them. I know Israel uses DU. There was a deal being worked out in 1999 for a big bulk order of DU but I do not think that it went thru due to strong opposition from Israel thus the reason for the U.S designing the KE-A1 specifically for Egypt and a few others.

Last edited:

eaf-f16

Jup, Egypt is the biggest foreign user of the Abrams.

Egypt seems to take security very yerious. It is not that easy to get pictures of their M1s.
Don't mean to take you off topic again but there are a couple of pics of Egypt's M1A1's on DT if you haven't seen them already.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
@eaf-f16

To keep this on topic - Australia also may be using one of the rounds mentioned by my earlier post. Please provide me with a model number of the DU penetrator that my country provided Egypt.

Abrams 2.0

Abrams

I know that the M1A2 Abrams tank is the most powerful tank currently in deployment. With it's 120mm cannon it can dominate most anything. But what are the details of the Abrams? what kind of armor does it have, what's it's horsepower, and does it get good mpg? and after all that, is the army working on a predecessor for the Abrams? What is it called, and what is it's projected capabilities?

Mod edit:

Threads merged due to similarity of topics. Most everything you can find out about the Abrams, can be found in this topic.

Do a bit of research next time brother. It ain't hard...

Regards

AD

Last edited by a moderator: