Australian Hornets conducting trials with extended range JDAM's...

A

Aussie Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And here is the extended range variant with folded wings...

knightrider4

Kerkanyi

Is the extended range JDAM known as Kerkanyi or something similiar? I thought the concept had been around for quite a while now.

A

Aussie Digger

knightrider4 said:
Is the extended range JDAM known as Kerkanyi or something similiar? I thought the concept had been around for quite a while now.
I think it is a development of the Kerkanya glide bomb kit, which HAwker De Havilland developed in the mid 90's. Interesting thing is this kit allowed the bomb ranges up to 34nm (62 kilometres) or basically equivalent to that of a AGM-541 JSOW but with the flexibility to be fitted to Mk 82,82,84 or BLU-109/110/111 as required...

No wonder RAAF is interested in it...

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
I think it is a development of the Kerkanya glide bomb kit, which HAwker De Havilland developed in the mid 90's. Interesting thing is this kit allowed the bomb ranges up to 34nm (62 kilometres) or basically equivalent to that of a AGM-541 JSOW but with the flexibility to be fitted to Mk 82,82,84 or BLU-109/110/111 as required...

No wonder RAAF is interested in it...
Question:

Doesn't the SDM have a stand off capability? Or is it a capability in development?

A

Aussie Digger

Whiskyjack said:
Question:

Doesn't the SDM have a stand off capability? Or is it a capability in development?
Small diameter bomb (SDB) does have a standoff capability yes. RAAF has not chosen to acquire it as yet though. I guess they are waiting a while as they have done for JDAM before looking at it...