Australian Army to increase by 2,600

Simon9

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I think this is what I was saying, that Bushmaster is not an APC and can not be regarded as a vehicle which qualifies a unit as mechanised. I think I mentioned covoy duties and internal security.
You're correct, and that's why Bushmaster-based units are to be termed motorised. But this isn't any great revelation - it's always been that way. As I said earlier the Bushmasters in the mechanised units are replacements for the unarmoured Mogs and Perenties, not replacements for the APCs. This actually makes their B-echelons 'harder' in the HNA sense of the word. Pity about the A-vehicles, they could do with a great deal of hardening yet!

Nooj

I hate to be such a dolt, but do we know for sure what the orbat will look like in 2012? What about the paras?

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hate to be such a dolt, but do we know for sure what the orbat will look like in 2012? What about the paras?
Hi Mate,

Not a stupid question.

If you look on www.defence.gov.au there is a lot of docs on what the Orbat will look like etc..

For instance I believe3 RAR will become light infantry and 4 RAR (commando) will take on the para role.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
SOCOMD, 6 Brigade...just signs on the doors.
I'm not arguing with you over 1, 3 and 7 Brigades. It just seems to me that while this may be sufficient for now, the future may be more demanding on the Regulars.
I just think we are in for a lot more strife then Cold War ever had, and this is why I think ADF needs to really look ahead at least a decade in its force planning. National Service was not planning but an expediency.

I think this is what I was saying, that Bushmaster is not an APC and can not be regarded as a vehicle which qualifies a unit as mechanised. I think I mentioned covoy duties and internal security.

Not sure why we need to 'ape' Americans with their 'units of action'. What is a combat team? It sounds to me like the time Soviets did away with ranks :)
Seems to me traditional unit designations are quite adequate for role and function descriptions. Just semantics, as if a battalion is not a 'combat team'. Its always been about teamwork, whatever the Arm or Service.
mate, what are talking about? The biggest army in peace time?? we are not in peace time,we are at war.Two fonts.Iraq and Afghanistan. We are at war.(sorry future tank, i was reading a quote by AD, that says we have the biggest peace time army,only bigger during Vietnam.I think that he is forgetting that the campaghns we are in at the moment are active service, and like it or not, this is NOT a peace time army at the moment.)

Last edited:
A

Aussie Digger

mate, what are talking about? The biggest army in peace time?? we are not in peace time,we are at war.Two fonts.Iraq and Afghanistan. We are at war.(sorry future tank, i was reading a quote by AD, that says we have the biggest peace time army,only bigger during Vietnam.I think that he is forgetting that the campaghns we are in at the moment are active service, and like it or not, this is NOT a peace time army at the moment.)
I agree, though there's a fair amount of difference between our service in Vietnam and EVERY type of operation conducted since, including Iraq and Afghanistan. It's still the last time we engaged in conventional combat operations with the "regular" Army...

FutureTank

Banned Member
I know we are at war.

In fact this is what I said if you reread., and Australians are going to see more combat during War on Terro then they ever had during the Cold War.
I don't think bigger is necessarily what we need, but certainly better.

Simon9

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I know we are at war.

In fact this is what I said if you reread., and Australians are going to see more combat during War on Terro then they ever had during the Cold War.
I don't think bigger is necessarily what we need, but certainly better.
To me, it all comes back to proper use of the Reserves. In this respect the Army is definitely heading in the right direction, but I think it could go further.

Obviously we can't just pick a Reserve unit off their civvy jobs and send them to Baghdad (well, the Americans do it, but that's different, they are mobilising entire Reserve/NG brigades).

But the Solomons operation is now almost entirely Reserve - the GRES is deploying company after company. When I was there it was just platoon strength but since the riots it's now company strength.

Timor is currently 6RAR but they are HEAVILY fleshed out with Reservists too, mostly 9RQR. Which is lucky since 6RAR is also forming the infantry component of the PRT in Afghanistan. After 6RAR's Timor tour is up I'd like to see it replaced by entirely GRES units.

The Army has started to realise the value of GRES in freeing up ARA units for the 'sharp end' deployments. It's also giving a lot of Reservists experience of the ARA way of life and a lot of them are transferring ARA. This further provides the ARA with trained, experienced soldiers.

Another thing they are trialling is fleshing out the ARA units with Reservists on one-year CFTS contracts. And finally, they are trialling the High Readiness Reserve units which will enable entire companies of fully-trained and up-to-date GRES to slot into ARA battalions if required.

This is all excellent news for all concerned. Obviously it frees up the ARA and gives them more down time between deployments (which probably helps ARA retention), but it also provides experience for the GRES, helps retention in GRES (the prospect of operational service is a big keeper) and increases the interoperability between the two forces.

The Army is onto a winner with this one. I'd like to see them go further and pave the way for small detachments of GRES to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan too.

Last edited:

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Have to agree with you Simon. As for the new 1yr recruiting scheme,it would be good if the contract included a 3yr reserve comitment,like the ready reserve scheme, but intergrated into a g-res unit of their choice. Eg.1 year full time with say 1 RAR, then 3years Gres with the closest to home unit like the RNSWR

Mick73

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Our operation in Iraq IMO are not going yeild a good result if the US can't get the same. One of my old mate from Oz told me he had a sticker on the back of his car saying something like "We were winning when I was there". At some point we need to withdraw our troops from the Iraq TO and as was said in a previous post, deploy a larger all arms force to A-stan. With an opfor using tactics that have been used for hundreds of years, it would give the ADF as a whole better experience and a proving ground for the HNA concept.
Also I believe the public would be more accepting of that deployment because some good is slowly coming out of it. It would be a win-win situation for the our government/army and for Afgan people.
Deploying when ready, MBT's and or ARH, would see a real use for these systems and getting more of a chance to get Land 400 fast tracked. Armour works in a COIN enviroment and we need to get our force real world experience in these areas. Deployment of the Leo1 could be possible but they do need Mech inf support. I think that is the only thing that has been holding us back from deploying a MBT battle group is the Inf spt issue.
Just my 5 jiao's worth (.5 of a 1 Chinese RMB)

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
The Army has started to realise the value of GRES in freeing up ARA units for the 'sharp end' deployments. It's also giving a lot of Reservists experience of the ARA way of life and a lot of them are transferring ARA. This further provides the ARA with trained, experienced soldiers.

Another thing they are trialling is fleshing out the ARA units with Reservists on one-year CFTS contracts. And finally, they are trialling the High Readiness Reserve units which will enable entire companies of fully-trained and up-to-date GRES to slot into ARA battalions if required.

This is all excellent news for all concerned. Obviously it frees up the ARA and gives them more down time between deployments (which probably helps ARA retention), but it also provides experience for the GRES, helps retention in GRES (the prospect of operational service is a big keeper) and increases the interoperability between the two forces.

The Army is onto a winner with this one. I'd like to see them go further and pave the way for small detachments of GRES to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan too.
This is good news Simon9. Its certainly along way from the reserve I remember which, apart from being a lot of fun, didn't provide a force that could be deployed without considerable extra training.

It is important that as many reservists as possible get operational experience. They must of course, be properly equipped and adequately trained and I like the idea of short term contracts to supplement the High Readiness Reserve Units in order to achieve this.

It is vital now that the ARA and High Readiness Reserve have its equipment and munitions stocks brought up to satisfactory standards ASAP. Once this is achieved I hope that GRES units will be brought up to similar standards at least as far as equipment is concerned.

Cheers

:)