Australian Army Basic Training

mickk

Ahh well I was gunna mention Eczema which goes hand in hand with Asthma. But I didnt want to open a can of worms. Since theres worms all over the joint now.............. heres another two bobs worth.

Look they hate Eczema. Dont tell you got it and just out up with it. Put your Eczema cream in a shaving cream tube. Take a tube of shaving cream, the metal tube not the plastic ones. Cut the end off, out with the shaving cream, in with the Eczema cream. Roll up the end a bit, pop the top, sniff, mmmmmmmmmmm shaving cream. You could so a syringe job on a plastic shaving cream squeeze tube thing if youre keen. Even if you just let it go, unless its on yr face, you can live with it for a few weeks. Blokes hid wooden legs to get in the AIF during the war so use your imagination.

As to Asthma, well its a bit harder to disguise if youre gunna be using a puffer all the fuckin time moaning on the ground giving away your position turning all sorts of distracting colours.

But theres Asthma Im guna die call an ambualnce and Asthma Im puffing like buggery and its hard to breathe but I know what it is and it will go away when I stop exercising.

IMO, hide and cover up every damn thing you got. Use your initiative. Remember youre an Australian and bullshitting the system is expected of you.

Maybe they find out and boot your arse a few weeks in or a few months . At least youve been sworn in and can look the LC in the eye and say I gave it my best shot, fair or foul and you will be respected for it.

If you stooge em through basic training, believe me you wont be bothered until you go O/S, if you ever do.

If the you ever go on active service, thats another story. So dont think that far ahead.

Mums the word. Dont mention anything to anyone in your unit.

If ever asked, you say "oh I was nervous filling out that form, I ticked the wrong box" or "the doctor must have misheard me sir".

dweezil.comm.op

mickk said:
Ahh well I was gunna mention Eczema which goes hand in hand with Asthma. But I didnt want to open a can of worms. Since theres worms all over the joint now.............. heres another two bobs worth.

Look they hate Eczema. Dont tell you got it and just out up with it. Put your Eczema cream in a shaving cream tube. Take a tube of shaving cream, the metal tube not the plastic ones. Cut the end off, out with the shaving cream, in with the Eczema cream. Roll up the end a bit, pop the top, sniff, mmmmmmmmmmm shaving cream. You could so a syringe job on a plastic shaving cream squeeze tube thing if youre keen. Even if you just let it go, unless its on yr face, you can live with it for a few weeks. Blokes hid wooden legs to get in the AIF during the war so use your imagination.

As to Asthma, well its a bit harder to disguise if youre gunna be using a puffer all the fuckin time moaning on the ground giving away your position turning all sorts of distracting colours.

But theres Asthma Im guna die call an ambualnce and Asthma Im puffing like buggery and its hard to breathe but I know what it is and it will go away when I stop exercising.

IMO, hide and cover up every damn thing you got. Use your initiative. Remember youre an Australian and bullshitting the system is expected of you.

Maybe they find out and boot your arse a few weeks in or a few months . At least youve been sworn in and can look the LC in the eye and say I gave it my best shot, fair or foul and you will be respected for it.

If you stooge em through basic training, believe me you wont be bothered until you go O/S, if you ever do.

If the you ever go on active service, thats another story. So dont think that far ahead.

Mums the word. Dont mention anything to anyone in your unit.

If ever asked, you say "oh I was nervous filling out that form, I ticked the wrong box" or "the doctor must have misheard me sir".
haha, great info mate...i was think of the shaving tube one with the ezcema cream...& yeh i do get it on my face...but they look like cuts under me nose...so i can probally come up wit sumthing to cover that prob. wit my asthma i have no probs wit anymore..but i havent been to the eastern states recently...hoping to go in a few months tho just to check the asthma out. i'm pretty gud at bullshitting my way thru or outta things so i'll probally be ok...thats for the info guys...all the info is getting me a step futher...:dance

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
Simon9 said:
Don't take any medication or cream for your ezcema... they confiscate all medication you bring yourself and you don't get it back. As I found out the hard way.

Make sure you get a good quality camelbak. They are quite expensive, over $100. But a cheap one just falls apart too quickly. Get one with an Auscam cover and one that doesn't have any bright labels on it, no matter how small the labels are. For size, I'd say just a 2 litre camelbak will do. No more than 3 litres. They get too big and bulky, and you can always refill your camelbak from your water bottles when it gets low.
w00t? you aussies don't have camelbacks in your army? hehe, I thought most of the rich coutries bought camelbacks to their soldiers, especially in warm countries. The first day of my military service we all got a 2,5 litre camelback and now I don't know how to make it without it. :D

Last edited:
A

Aussie Digger

rattmuff said:
w00t? you aussies don't have camelbacks in your army? hehe, I thought most of the rich coutries bought camelbacks to their soldiers, especially in warm countries. The first day of my military service we all got a 2,5 litre camelback and now I don't know how to make it without it. :D
The Army supplies dodgy useless one's that are nowhere near as good as proper Camelbak branded ones.

Hence the advice to purchase a decent one privately...

Simon9

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
The Army supplies dodgy useless one's that are nowhere near as good as proper Camelbak branded ones.

Hence the advice to purchase a decent one privately...
Well they supply proper Camelbaks to those going on operations. I scored a free one that way. :)

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
If you tell the medical officer you have a puffer you will get kicked out of the army. Anyone with asthma is not allowed in the army, and if you need a puffer you will be discharged.

When you filled out your medical form they would have asked you about asthma. If you told the truth, that you had childhood asthma but had no symptoms in the last x number of years (I forget how many), then it should be okay. But if you have symptoms of asthma today, and didn't tell the army, then when they find out you will be discharged.
I remember a Private in Alpha platoon, who had two weeks left before heading to singo, had an Asthma attack, it had been 4-5 years since his last and he didn't see any worry, the NCOs did digger james him to see if he could make it, but he was eventually discharged, he was shattered about it to.

dweezil.comm.op

I remember a Private in Alpha platoon, who had two weeks left before heading to singo, had an Asthma attack, it had been 4-5 years since his last and he didn't see any worry, the NCOs did digger james him to see if he could make it, but he was eventually discharged, he was shattered about it to.
fair enuf, my doctor said that the only reason i have asthma was cos when i was 2 i got a really bad flu & my lung/s (not sure) collapsed & that resulted into me having asthma, but he said i can get rid of it, but i have to take all the puffers & exercise often & try & get my lung capasity up by at least 2ltrs then if i can do that & hold it at that for 2+yrs i shouldnt have any trouble with it again...so hopefully it should be alright....but i wont be able to join til im bout 20, if i do it that way

Cruzey

hi, i have recentley had my jose day and have an interveiw next week. i have been wondering what you can take to kapooka. i get bad chaif between the legs when i run and train, are you alowed to take chaif cream or where skins to stop the irration. if someone could let me no it would be greatley appreciated.