Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arms Race in Space

Discussion in 'Space Technology' started by Bluey 006, Nov 19, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Bluey 006

Bluey 006 Member

Object 2014-28E

With a newly assertive Russia,rising China and the US all developing space technologies with military applications. Is a new arms race looming?

While several treaties exist regarding space based activities - military or other; are they enough to prevent hostile events or actions by the aforementioned parties or any others in space ?

How long before terrorists view space as a viable theatre of operations?

2. Blackshoe

Blackshoe Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

I view the treaties more as a deterrent to an expensive arms race than actual usage. Once it becomes financially viable...the treaties will go away or be ignored. I think we're still on the outside of viability...but not for long.

When it becomes cost-effective for them to do so. It takes fairly developed nations awhile to develop effective space operations; expect terrorists to take longer, if ever.

3. John Fedup

John Fedup Well-Known Member

Iran and NK could be a back door for terrorist activities in space, albeit a risky one, for Iran anyway. NK has nothing to lose.

4. bobby_77

bobby_77 New Member

I think in the 21'st Century, China will build a moon base.

China already put a small space station in Orbit, and will be expanding it to 2020 and then have a space station. By 2030, I think they will try to put a man on the moon and maybe even a moon base.

In the 21'st Century, this century, I think China is going to be a hyper super power. I don't think a hyper super power is going to be defined by just weapons or nukes. America is in a lot of debt. They owe Japan about 1 trillion, and then they owe China another 1 trillion. America will have to keep printing dollars to keep there economy afloat.

In the 1700 century I read China acounted for almost 60 percent of world GDP. Will that happen again this Century. By share volume I read China is already the biggest Economy in the world, and it's not another Japan. China has 1.2 to 1.4 billion people, and the surrounding countries make up another 3 billion people to trade with. China isn't a Japan about to attack another country.

Technology, military, nukes, ships, Aircraft Carriers, and a new space station. I mean the Russians and, England, France , don't even have a space station. And the the Americans, don't really want to continue funding there space station.

China on the other hand I read is planning a possible moon base. I think China is going to become a Hyper Super Power, with a moon base.

5. vonnoobie

vonnoobie Active Member

And a moon base will mean what really?

In regards to the US economy, No they won't have to keep printing money to stay afloat. The US financially has a lot of room to play around to get things back in order, What they lack is bipartisan support while also having some groups (ie: ALEC) putting forth so much crap it is weighing the US down with red tape.

Tax wise the US only takes in around 25% of there GDP, The OECD average is 35%. So no, The US economy is not so bad that they will have to print money just to stay afloat, What they need is real reform (ie: Rip everything up and rebuild it from scratch) such as reducing the 75,000 odd pages of tax codes. Do that and the economy will be cruising.

6. John Fedup

The US debt is north of 16 trillion, that's almost equal to its GDP. Even worse are the huge unfunded liabilities like Medicare and social security which will see rising costs as the boomer generation tries to collect. It's going to be a very rocky cruise for the US economy down the road, even with a functional Congress.

7. John Fedup

8. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

Try US$21 trillion for the US debt. It's debt is 105.4% of GDP. The other 5EYES nations debt as % GDP:
    • Australia 41.90%
    • Canada 89.60%
    • New Zealand 22.20%
    • United Kingdom 85.30%

9. John Fedup

So they have added a few trillion more in the last 2 1/2 years. I'm sure the the Donald will claim it was all Obama.:)

Regarding Canada's debt, the federal contribution is about 53% of GDP. The total Canadian debt is indeed close to 100% of GDP when the provinces debts are added in. Also, household debt is the highest in the world at 101% of GDP. Here is a link to provincial debt clocks. Note the horror show in Ontario, another Liberal government. No wonder defence takes it up the a$$ year after year. Rant over.:eek:

Canada's National Debt Clock : The Canadian Taxpayers Federation

10. John Fedup

This Forbes article outlines US concerns about the growing vulnerability of space based assets, mainly from China. Important to note that Chinese financial clout has allowed them to overtake Russia by a consistent margin, e.g. 120 spy satellites for China versus 20 for Russia. Many concerns are closely held by the US military/intelligence players.

Secret Pentagon Space Program Driven By Fear Of China