Armidale class patrol boat - 3D model

lobbie111

hey octopus ok this is just my opinion and only if your a good painter. Get an account with one of those 3D printer places and remove the stand. Then send it through them and they will print it for you as a resin model. Buy or build yourself a stand and paint it and you have a great model.

Sell em if you want, I would p[ay for one this is awsome. Do you reckon you could do some others?

Ozzy Blizzard

hey octopus ok this is just my opinion and only if your a good painter. Get an account with one of those 3D printer places and remove the stand. Then send it through them and they will print it for you as a resin model. Buy or build yourself a stand and paint it and you have a great model.

Sell em if you want, I would p[ay for one this is awsome. Do you reckon you could do some others?
That is a great idea! i'd pay for one, it looks awesome! have you done any more octopus?

octopus7

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks a ton guys, it's good to know my work is appreciated you all.
Regarding 3D printing I have thought about it but, sadly it costs and arm and a leg to do. I have last months copy of 3D world magazine and they have a section dedicated to 3D printing. Most companies charge about $250 - $500 just to print out one model as the printing process takes anywhere from 2 - 6 hours. Hopefully on of the big plastic kit manufacturers such as Tamiya or Dragon will make a 1:35 scale of the APCB. I would buy one for sure!

I have started work on a Russian "SLAVA" class cruiser and will open another thread for it.

lobbie111

You could go to the navy you know...they might be interested in selling them at museums or to give to the crews, they might even pay you to get them either printed or pay you for the work you have done already. Too bad about price, the SLAVA class should be good.

Aussie Cav

Nice work on the Armidale

Well done mate,

I have a hobby of making Radio control model boats. Normally it involves hours on the internet, books and eventually plans to be able to start construction. Your 3D rendering is brillant and makes it so much easier to identify what goes where. My next project is an Armidale patol boat once I complete some of my other projects. Like a 4m 1943 USS Tennessee, lol.

Do you know the company that built these boats and what do you use for reference material?

Any help is greatly appreciated

cheers

the road runner

Thanks a ton guys, it's good to know my work is appreciated you all.
Regarding 3D printing I have thought about it but, sadly it costs and arm and a leg to do. I have last months copy of 3D world magazine and they have a section dedicated to 3D printing. Most companies charge about $250 - $500 just to print out one model as the printing process takes anywhere from 2 - 6 hours. Hopefully on of the big plastic kit manufacturers such as Tamiya or Dragon will make a 1:35 scale of the APCB. I would buy one for sure!

I have started work on a Russian "SLAVA" class cruiser and will open another thread for it.
Great work octopus...very well done
Look forward to seeing the SLAVA class cruiser

Unicorn

There is a company here in Australia that makes what is called a semi-kit of the Armidale class patrol boat.

The company is called APS models and they make a 1:72 model of the Armidale. The kit contains the hull. deck, partial superstructure, gun, mast, fittings and such.

It s called semi-kit as the builder has to make some of the pieces themselves, it is not an Airfix kit, it is much tougher as it is designed for operation out on the water.

APS makes a big range of models in 1:72 scale, all of which are designed to have radio control gear fitted, everything from tugs and patrol boats to frigates, destroyers, cruisers, merchant ships, etc. The modern RAN gets a good look in with the FFG, Anzac, Huon, Fremantle, Armidale and AWD hulls available, plus older ships such as the DDGs, the various DEs, Darings, Battles, Tribals, N and Q class and so on.

If you want to see what some of these model's look like finished try here at www.taskforce72.org

Here is a shot of the Armidale's predecessor, the Fremantle class patrol boat Wollongong

If you would like to follow up, send me a message and I will post his contact details, as I don't know the Defence Talk mods thoughts are on what could be seen as blatant advertising

Unicorn

pfitness

Armidale Class Patrol Boat

I'm collecting info on the Armidale class with the aim of building a 1/50 scale radio controlled model. So far I have a good general arrangement drawing, and an excellent selection of photos taken by a visitor to HMAS Armidale on an open day in Sydney. What I don't have, and would love to obtain, are some frame profiles so I can make an accurate hull. Does anyone know where I could get that info? The GA drawing shows the side and top views very clearly, but there are no frame (cross section) drawings. Any help is much appreciated.

Peter.

Joelskies

The Model

Hi Octopus 7,

Great Model, I love it. Is there any chance you could send the model and/or pictures to me. I am reserching and your model would be perfect to allow me to take a close up look and stuff and the Patrol Boat.

Please Send to

[email protected]

Unicorn

Regarding the Fremantle and Armidale plans.

You would need to speak to Allan Pew at APS Models.

He sells the plans, the hull and many of the fixtures.

He is available on +61 2 4972 5825 or at

apsmods at bigpond.com.au

Be aware that as a commercial enterprise that he will sell you the plans, he will not give you the plans. That is how he makes a living.

He does plans in 1:72 scale for the Armidale and Fremantle Classes,

He does a 1:72 scale Armidale kit containing the hull, superstructure, deck, masts, doors, fittings etc. Price for the kit (including plan) is about AU$570.

He does a 1:48 scale Fremantle which includes the hull, fittngs and plans for around AU$600 and a 1:32 scale Fremantle kit including hull and plans for AU$200

Hope this helps

Unicorn

jsyrovat

Armidale class plans

I'm collecting info on the Armidale class with the aim of building a 1/50 scale radio controlled model. So far I have a good general arrangement drawing, and an excellent selection of photos taken by a visitor to HMAS Armidale on an open day in Sydney. What I don't have, and would love to obtain, are some frame profiles so I can make an accurate hull. Does anyone know where I could get that info? The GA drawing shows the side and top views very clearly, but there are no frame (cross section) drawings. Any help is much appreciated.

Peter.
Hi Peter,

I am looking for the same plans and photos of Armidale class. I have already build few model ships and building several new ones. I am able to draw quite accurate frames based on general arrangement plans - I did that for 4207 patrol boats built by Damen in Netherlands and few others (tugs, fishery protection vessel, container vessel).
Would it be possible to send the plans and eventually the photos please? If so, you will get for sure the frames after few weeks, when I draw them.
If you have also any dry dock photos, it could be helpful.

Thanks a lot.
Jiri (jsyrovat.ic.cz; youtube.com/jsyrovat)

Joelskies

Please Help

Hi Octopus 7, I would like to create a model just like yours and i am wondering how you went about it. Your model is so perfect and detailed and i was wondering how you achieved such a perfect finish. I have the application called Blender however don't have the plans to construct it.

I f you had any blue prints of plans could you please send them to me or if you used a different way to model your amazing piece could you please send me the details : )

My email adrress is [email protected]

Please Help !

Thanks

Joel :rolleyes:

ya33a

1/50 or 1/72 Armidale Class?

Hi,

I went through exactly the same issues with this vessel and decided to try a 1/50 - 1/48 scale as it would suit most scale ships I'm interested in. The hardest part was getting cross sections of the ship after emailing the builder I got a polite - No...

So I copied a 3 view into CAD and traced the outline of the side view and plan, then printed it out at 1/72 and 1/50 scale onto A1 and A0 paper. I then spent 3 weeks cutting up paper to make a rendition of the hull sections from the bow view (that I drew free hand) and from the several plan views off the net showing waterlines....

I think I got the hull about 90% correct so far. SO now I have a plan view in a very poor copy but legible just, a very good 1/72 plan and side view and a heap of hull sections of 1/72 and 1/50 scale.

So I will either make a ply and balsa hull or just go and make a fibreglass hull in either or both scales. I'm leaning towards a 1/50 - 1/48 scale as the details are bigger and there are more scale fittings available. The other major problem is the RIB's I have several similar drawings but none exaclty as carried on any of the Armidale vessels.

The whole project is on the back burner for a few more weeks till I finish my new hobby room - 5.8 m X 3.4m...

I have a 13m pool that acts as the test pond so a couple of out runners and 5 cell Lipo's should almost equal 25+ Kts...

I'll post some pictures of progress if you're interested?

Grutok

Regarding the Fremantle and Armidale plans.

You would need to speak to Allan Pew at APS Models.

He sells the plans, the hull and many of the fixtures.

He is available on +61 2 4972 5825 or at

apsmods at bigpond.com.au

Be aware that as a commercial enterprise that he will sell you the plans, he will not give you the plans. That is how he makes a living.

He does plans in 1:72 scale for the Armidale and Fremantle Classes,

He does a 1:72 scale Armidale kit containing the hull, superstructure, deck, masts, doors, ify this fittings etc. Price for the kit (including plan) is about AU$570.

He does a 1:48 scale Fremantle which includes the hull, fittngs and plans for around AU$600 and a 1:32 scale Fremantle kit including hull and plans for AU$200

Hope this helps

Unicorn
Sorry to intrude, but I need your help.....

Can you verify this email address (apsmods at bigpond.com.au) please,
I am interested in the armidale class, and would like to build a R/C model of it.
This is the only place I have found that specifically mentions a plan or a semi-kit.

Thanks in advance!