Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arafura Class

Discussion in 'Models' started by hauritz, Jan 20, 2020.

Share This Page

1. hauritz

hauritz Well-Known Member

My day job is building 3d models and I recently finished work on a model of the Arafura class.

There are still many details that I need to work with since it was impossible to find accurate blueprints for this vessel. Anyway enjoy and if you spot any obvious errors let me know.

n2.jpg n4.jpg

If you want more images try here.

3D arafura class opv vessel ship - TurboSquid 1486005

StingrayOZ, Wombat000, Takao and 8 others like this.
  2. Redlands18

Redlands18 Active Member

Looks brilliant Mate keep up the good work. Even down to some rust spots around the Anchor.

3. pussertas

pussertas Member

Where are the anti-aircraft defensive guns?

4. Redlands18

Redlands18 Active Member

Same place as the AShMs.

5. hauritz

hauritz Well-Known Member

I left off a couple of miniguns but I wouldn't want to fight a war in this ship. However it does have a lot of space below the flight deck (28m X 13m X 3m) so I can see it being a very useful platform for deploying UAV, UUV and USV. Even allowing for the below deck space taken up by the third RHIB I can see room for 2 standard-sized shipping containers. If an MCV or Hydrographic variant of this ship were built without the third RHIB I can see space for four standard shipping containers below deck. Of course, there is also space for shipping containers to be stored on deck as well. In other words, this ship will have lots of usable space for lots of different types of equipment or supplies.

Building this model also made it clear to me why the hanger wasn't added. The hanger would have been tiny and would have greatly reduced the amount of available deck space as well as restricting access to the mission bay below. The position of the two davits on deck might allow direct access to the mission bay through two hatches on the flight deck.

All up it looks like this ship should be a pretty good workhorse for the navy.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020