ANZA MK2 SAM for Malaysian Army

Fareds

More weapons for elite troops

MALACCA: The Armed Forces' 10th Brigade Paratroopers rapid reaction force will soon get shoulder-fired missiles as additional firepower, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said.

He said the Anza MK-II surface-to-air missiles were scheduled to be delivered to the elite team in two or three months.

Datuk Seri Najib puts on his beret as Brig-Jen Muhammad Effendi (left) and Jen Muhammad Azumi look on.

“We find that the team needs to be equipped with more weapons when deployed in remote areas to defend themselves from enemy attack,†he said, adding that all units in the forces would also get extra weaponry.

The Pakistan-made Anza MK-II anti-aircraft missile is a portable shoulder-fired infrared homing system.

Najib was speaking at a press conference after receiving the maroon beret and honorary airborne wings from the brigade at the Terendak Camp near here yesterday.

Armed Forces chief Gen Datuk Pahlawan Muhammad Azumi Mohamed was present.

Brigade commander Brig-Gen Datuk Muhammad Effendi Mustaffa said the award was given to Najib for his contributions to the development of the unit, providing him with lifetime membership as well.

Asked if there were plans to set up more elite teams, Najib said the 4,500-strong team was sufficient now.

“The team can respond to our requirements to be mobilised within short periods of time, either in an hour or five hours depending on the situation,†he said.

On whether there was a revision to the allowance for team members, he said there was no decision on the matter yet, adding that revisions were conducted from time to time.

Earlier, Najib inspected the Leading Para Battle Group parade.
Note: Malaysian Army will also be equipped with the Bakhtar Shikan ATGW to fulfill the need of long-range anti-armour missile.

Does anyone here has the picture and info for the ANZA MK III system? :)

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Fareds nice to hear that Malaysia has an eye for quality. The Baktar Shikan ATGM (Anti Tank Guided Missile) is based on the Chinese Honjiang 8 (HJ8) and is considered to be one of the best in hit probability (over 90%) along with excellent penetration capabilities. Only drawback is that three men need to carry it in sections (just like the American TOW) since it is a heavy ATGM.

The Anza MK 3 is a longer range version of the Anza Mk2 (which Malaysia is purchasing) It has a range of 15 kilometres!!!! and is able to attack fixed wing planes as well as helicopters from any angle. Word is that it has been secretly tested by Pakistan but as of now there is no confirmation. :roll
So I'm sorry no pictures available.
The Mk2 is the same as the Mk1 but with longer range and can be operated in extreme climatic conditions even as low as minus 40 celsius to as high as 55 celsius. The range of Mk2 is 6 kilometres.
Pakistan Army actively uses the Anza Mk2.

Fareds

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
shamayel said:
The Anza MK 3 is a longer range version of the Anza Mk2 (which Malaysia is purchasing) It has a range of 15 kilometres!!!! and is able to attack fixed wing planes as well as helicopters from any angle.
15 km will put the mk 3 under the SHORAD category similar to our recently purchased Jernas. Too bad there is no picture of it. My guess is to achieve 15 km the rocket propellant has to be longer or larger, which mean it will not be a MANPAD system like the mk 2...

Baktar Shikan is indeed a heavy ATGM. Malaysian Army most likely to install it onboard locally built G-WAGON vehicle:

To date Malaysian Army has procured 3 types of ATGM:
1) Short range ERYX
2) Medium range METIS-M
3) Long range BAKTAR SHIKAN (Tank Slayer)

The Malaysian Army has also procured 3 types of VSHORAD MANPAD:
1) Laser guided STARBURST
2) IGLA
3) ANZA mk2 (Lance)

If my memory serves me correctly, Malaysian Army has also ordered some 27,700 RPG-7 rockets from Pakistan. The first consignment of 12,700 has been delivered this June. All is a part of 446 million ringgit package. :)

Oqaab

I read on PIADS site that the program of Anza III was started when india shot down Pakistani Atalntique aircraft. So basically, it was meant for navy.

The Mk2 is the same as the Mk1 but with longer range and can be operated in extreme climatic conditions even as low as minus 40 celsius to as high as 55 celsius. The range of Mk2 is 6 kilometres
Range of Anza MK 1 is 4.2 kms and that of MK 2 is 5 kms.

ullu

Oqaab said:
I read on PIADS site that the program of Anza III was started when india shot down Pakistani Atalntique aircraft. So basically, it was meant for navy.

The Mk2 is the same as the Mk1 but with longer range and can be operated in extreme climatic conditions even as low as minus 40 celsius to as high as 55 celsius. The range of Mk2 is 6 kilometres
Anza for Navy? How is atlantique being shot relate to anza being for Navy? Anza is purely for ground troops... maybe they can upgrade it to add to ships, etc.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Oqaab said:

Depends on which website you found the information on. And is that the Slant Range or the Ground Range you are talking about?? :?

Oqaab

I dont know which range was the site mentioning but I dont think is range is 6 kms. Jang news also confirmed it.

Fareds

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Guys, info from Jane's for us to ponder.... :roll

Comparison of performance for Stingers and Anza:

FIM-92A Stinger
Max range = 5000 m
Min range = 200 m
Max alt = 3500 m
Min alt = *
Speed = 700 m/sec

Anza Mk1
Max range = 4200 m
Min range = 1200 m
Max alt = 2300 m
Min alt = 50 m
Speed = 500 m/sec

Anza Mk2
Max range = 5000 m
Min range = 500 m
Max alt = 4000 m
Min alt = 30 m
Speed = 600 m/sec

* = Reported as ground level
Source: Jane's Land-Based Air Defence

Oqaab

Anza MK II speed is mach 2.7. I think Pakistan should now start making short range AAMs which can be carried by attack choppers.

hovercraft

anza mk-1 range is 4km approx. this is slant range and anza mk-II slant range is 6km and anza mk-III is not shoulder fired missile his slant range is 15km.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
anza mk-1 range is 4km approx. this is slant range and anza mk-II slant range is 6km and anza mk-III is not shoulder fired missile his slant range is 15km.
ANZA Mk I = licenced HN-5
ANZA Mk II = licenced QW-1
ANZA Mk III = licenced QW-2
all three are MANPADS

QW-3 is a QW-1 with a boosterstage added and is only suitable for tripod or vehicle-/ship-mounted launch. FN-6 and QW-4 are also a MANPADS