Al-khalid Vs T-90.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majin-Vegeta

Banned Member
ill give Al-Khalid upgrades in my mod ;) just wait a while..i gotta get everything going once again..a few people to help out with skinning..then i will do upgrades (which you can buy in game).

darklegent

I may be wrong but I am sure to have read that the Indian T-90 are powered by an up-rated 1,000 hp V-84KD turbo-supercharged diesel
engine or the 1,000 hp V-85 diesel. I do not have the link but will post it later.

Indus

AnonymousDoe said:
T-90 are nothing. I don't even know why its called a tank, since the armor on the tank is about 100mm.
abtually T-90 has 125mm 2A46M smoothbore gun ..
also oqaab.. under max speed.. you have given al-khalid's speed on road (supposedly 75km/hr) compared to T90's cross-country speed (45km/hr).. T90 on road speed is 65km/hr.. T90 has better cross country speed (what matters) than al-khalids 37km.. T90 has more armor also.. al-khalid is relatively small compared to other tanks so im not sure how well it can take blows in combat.. fill me in though..

poca

yeah al-khalid looks like a pretty good tank...to me .thats good news man ..
but i have heard ARJUN MBT-II project is over and is one of the top ten tanks in the world..plus TANK-EX is another tank thats in the making ..is this true guys ?

Revenant

Oqaab said:
Al-Khalid's gun can also fire missiles. Anything new ???
The T-90 has the advantage of infrared jammers. But Pakistani T-84 tanks have this capability. Anti-tank guided missiles cannot hit T-84 tanks.
Any ATGM cannot hit T-84???!!!! Wanna bet??? BTW, excellent joke:D

Practical T-90 frontal turret armour thickness:
800mm RHA against APFSDS projectiles at ranges of >500m (five hundred meters)
1200mm RHA against HEAT charges

Last edited by a moderator:

ajay_ijn

Anti-tank guided missiles cannot hit T-84 tanks.
There is no tank in the world that can have complete protection from ATGM's.

Technical Comparision of Al-Khalid and T-90
Armament:
T-90:It is fitted with 125mm Smoothbore gun which can fire APDS ,HEAT, HE-FRAG.
The gun can fire AT-11 Sniper ATGM of range 5km which Laser beam riding Guidance and can penetrate 700mm of RHA.
It can carry 42 rounds and can fire 7 rounds/min
The T-90S armament includes one 125mm 2A46M smoothbore gun, stabilised in two axes and fitted with a thermal sleeve. The gun tube can be replaced without dismantling inside the turret. The gun can fire a variety of ammunition including APDS (Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot), HEAT (High Explosive Anti-Tank), HE-FRAG (High Explosive Fragmentation) as well as shrapnel projectiles with time fuzes.
The T-90S gun can also fire the 9M119 Refleks (NATO designation AT-11 Sniper) anti-tank guided missile system. The range of the missile is 100m to 4,000m and takes 11.7 sec to reach maximum range. The system is intended to engage tanks fitted with ERA (Explosive Reactive Armour) as well as low-flying air targets such as helicopters, at a range of up to 5km. The missile system fires either the 9M119 or 9M119M missiles which have semi-automatic laser beamriding guidance and a hollow charge warhead. Missile weight is 23.4kg. The guns automatic loader will feed both ordnance and missiles.
Also fitted is a coaxial 7.62mm PKT machine gun and a 12.7mm air defence machine gun. A 5.45mm AKS-74 assault rifle is carried on a storage rack.
Al-Khalid:It is fitted with 125mm Smoothbore Gun which can fire APFSDS,HEAT and HE-FS.
Its Unclear whether the tank is carrying ATGM but the gun is having the capability to fire Missiles.
It can carry 39 rounds and can fire 8 rounds/min
Al-Khalid has been designed with a 125mm (48 calibre) smooth bore, autofrettaged and chrome plated gun which can fire APFSDS, HEAT-FS and HE-FS conventional ammunition and missiles. It is equipped with muzzle reference system, and bi-axis stabilisation. Elevation and azimuth control is achieved by electro-hydraulic power drives. The tank is also equipped with a 7.62 mm-coaxial MG, 12.7mm externally mounted MG that can be fired with the hatch closed and grenade launchers.

Fire Control System:
T-90:Its Fire Control System is automatic but has a manual override for the commander.
For Night Vision T-90 is equipped with Agava-2 Sight which can identify targets at a range of 2.5km and Buran-PA Sight which can identify targets at a range of 1.2km in passive mode and 1.5km in active mode.
Gunner FCS Consists of Ballistic Computer,1A43 Day/Range Finder Sight,Laying device and Wind Gauge.
Commander has Agat Day/Night Sight which can identify targets at 800m in Active mode and 700m in Passive Mode.
Driver is equipped with a Infra-Red Night Vision Viewer.

Al-Khalid:The commander can aquire the a target Independently while Gunner can fire on previously selected ones.
Commander is provided with a panoramic Sight,LRF and has hunter killer capability.
Gunnner has dual Magnification Day/Night Sight with Laser range finder.
Night Vision is provided by dual magnification Thermal Imaging Sight.
Its Fire Control System consists of Ballistic Computer ,Sensor cross wind.

Protection:
T-90:It has Kontakt-5 Heavy ERA which is capable of defeating APFSDS rounds.
Its frontal turret can give protection upto 540-760mm Vs APFSDS and
800-1220mm Vs HEAT.
Glacis can give protection upto 690mm Vs APFSDS and 940mm Vs HEAT.
Its unclear whether Indian T-90's carry the Shotra-1 Laser Jamming System.
Bharat Rakshak Says Indian T-90s are not fitted with Shotra System.
But Some other reports say they are fitted.
Its also fitted with NBC Protection System.
The T-90 is fitted with the Shtora-1 defensive aids suite which is produced by Electronintorg of Russia. This system includes infrared jammer, laser warning system with four laser warning receivers, grenade discharging system which produces an aerosol screen and a computerised control system.
Al-Khalid:It is fitted with Composite and ERA armor.
Its turret can offer protection upto 590-630mm Vs KE and 700mm Vs HEAT.
Its Glacis can give protection upto 450mmVs KE and 540mm VsHEAT.
The hull is of welded steel construction with an additional layer of composite armour at the front. Explosive reactive armour has been added to the glacis plate and nose of the vehicle. The driver is seated in the centre and has a single-piece hatch cover that lifts and swings to the right and in front of this are three periscopes, the centre one of which can be replaced by a passive periscope for driving at night. The turret is in the centre and is of all welded steel armour construction to which a layer of composite armour has been added over the frontal arc. In addition, to the turret front, sides and forward roof has been added packs of explosive reactive armour
Propulsion:
T-90:It is powered by 1000hp V-92S2 Four Stroke V-12 Diesel Engine which has power to weight ratio of 21 hp/ton.

Al-Khalid:It has 1200 Hp Diesel engine of power to weight ratio of 26 hp/ton.

Performance:
T-90:
Ground pressure:0.87 kg/sqcm
Weight:46 tons
Max Speed:65 km/h on road and 45km/h on Cross Country.
Max Range:650km on road and 500km on Cross Country.
Trench Crossing:2.8m Wide.
Vertical Obstacle:0.85m.

Al-Khalid:
Weight:46 tons
Max Speed:70km/hr
Max Range:400km
Trench Crossing:2.7m
Vertical Obstacle:0.85m
Sources:
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/t90/
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORCES/Army/T-90.html
http://armor.kiev.ua/fofanov/Tanks/MBT/t-90.html
http://www.depo.org.pk/products/hit/alkhalid.htm
http://www.ciar.org/ttk/mbt/pakistan.al-khalid.art3_tank.html
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bob_mackenzie/Armour%20Values.htm
http://www.ciar.org/ttk/mbt/pakistan.al-khalid.art3_tank.html

Conclusion:Al-Khalid Really looks impressive tank developed by pakistan.
If Indian T-90's are equipped with Laser Jamming Systems then they can be at significant advantage.
The T-90's Kontakt-5 ERA looks better than what Al-khalid has.
It makes T-90 one of the best protected tanks in the world.
T-90 is more comparable to T-80UD rather than Al-Khalid.

The interesting question would be Can the Al-khalid APFSDS round penetrate the T-90's armor.
The Kontakt-5 can also give protection from APFSDS Rounds.
Some reports say that even US DU Rounds cannot penetrate the Kontakt-5.
http://armor.kiev.ua/fofanov/Tanks/EQP/era.html

"Speaking at a conference on Future Armoured Warfare in London in May, IDR's Pentagon correspondent Leland Ness explained that US tests involved firing trials of Russian-built T-72 tanks fitted with Kontakt-5 explosive reactive armour (ERA). In contrast to the original, or 'light', type of ERA which is effective only against shaped charge jets, the 'heavy' Kontakt-5 ERA is also effective against the long-rod penetrators of APFSDS tank gun projectiles. "When fitted to T-72 tanks, the 'heavy' ERA made them immune to the DU penetrators of M829 APFSDS, fired by the 120 mm guns of the US M1 Abrams tanks, which are among the most formidable of current tank gun projectiles.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
:coffee In my opinion i think Al -Khalid is better fron all dimension from the spped and the weaponary Yeah Pakistan is going towards the right direction

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
i think what mr oqaab trying to say is T-84 was fitted with active protection system that destroy the ATGM before it hit the tank hull, much like a close in weapon system on ship.

Temoor_A

Al-Khalid MBT's design is similar to that of Russian T-90S MBT. Only some minor differences in capabilities exist with respect to equipment used in them and although Al-Khalid might be a tad bit better then T-90 counterpart, but both of them have small degree of advantages over other.

But it should be understood that among these, a tank with best crew will win in combat situation!

Last edited:

brad_arsenxpt

Red aRRow said:
Oqaab just look at the results. I mean Pakistan has the Al-Khalid, Al-Zarrar upgrade, Al-Talha, Saad etc etc etc. under its belt while India is still working on the Arjun.
Friend i believe u are not aware of the new tank-ex which is a hybrid of t-70 and arjun and let the big boss roll out of the factory arjun mk 2 which is gonna be the big daddy of all sub-continent mbt"s and the icing on the cake is israel is helping in many things.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Take Note Everyone.

Waylander said:
BTW, those posts are really irritating without any real information in it and just push the unqualified and biased comments in this thread.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Waylander said:
Which tank do you mean with T-70?
I think you don't mean this one.

http://tanxheaven.com/krzo/t70tanklight/t70lighttankkrzo.htm

BTW, those posts are really irritating without any real information in it and just push the unqualified and biased comments in this thread.
And they are over an year old. Apart from today, the last post was made on February 24th, 2005 02:00 AM. Plus, I think DT no longer allows "ABC vs XYZ" if its conflicting and no real informative material is available. This thread should be in grave yard.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
But I really like the Idea of mixing up the Arjun with this nice little polish tank. :D

Aaaah, I couldn't resist.

You are right, this is a dead thread which shouldn't be reanimated.

But mixing the Arjum with.... :cool: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.