AKASH SAM:India's BMD???

ajay_ijn

This has nothing to do with the thrust to weight ratio…
I know Mass Ratio has nothing to do with thrust to weight ratio but a Missile needs to have minimum value of thrust to weight ratio as one.

Just imagine if the weight of the engine is more than the thrust produced,then the rocket will not lift off which is the basic principle of rocket.
The ratio must be atleast one for the rocket to lift off.
The Missiles range also depends upon the duration of the thrust.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/docs/RocketBasics.htm

In rocketry, the greater the amount of thrust developed by the rocket motor in relation to the mass of the total vehicle, the faster the missile will move through the air. If enough thrust is developed, the speed can be built up (usually in stages) until the vehicle can escape the pull of the Earth's gravity and move into outer space.
Its clearly given above,no need to explain.

In case of a rocket engine, it is dependant on the fuel also. It is called specific impulse. The liquid propellants have a higher specific impulse than the solid propellants. Still both have their own advantages and disadvantages..
Specific impulse only depends upon the propellant that is the fuel.
It is defined as ratio of thrust to the Amount of fuel consumed per second.
As u said it mostly depends uopn Fuel.
But weight to thrust ratio depends upon the whole weight of the Missile.

highsea

Rolex said:
Let’s assume that the warhead is at a distance R from the c.g of the earth...This means the height of the warhead from the surface is 21km higher at the polar region than at the equator...So there is greater acceleration...
Rolex, your statement says it all.

The distance from the ground to the missile is 21km. more at the pole than it is at the equator. The distance from the center of gravity is the same, (radius R),therefore acceleration due to gravity is the same.

Gravity is not measured from the surface, it's measured from the c.g. Otherwise you would not be able to detect a variation at the surface.

Rolex said:
Its 10m/s^2 at poles and 9.8 at the equator..
If you use these values, your missile is going to miss.

The actual value at sea level is 9.780m/sec^2 at the equator, and 9.832m/sec^2 at poles, assuming an average value of 9.806 m/sec^2. The variation is 5.2 cm/sec^2. 3.4cm/sec^2 of that is due to centrifugal force, and 1.2cm/sec^2 is due to the ellipsoid shape (inverse square rule). Again, we are measuring acceleration from the earth's c.g.

http://stommel.tamu.edu/~baum/reid/book1/book/node32.html

I suggest you take this up with your physics professor, perhaps he can explain it to you better than I can. Frankly, if you are unable to understand this very simple concept, I doubt you can achieve your goal of being an aerospace engineer.

srirangan

Banned Member
>> Frankly, if you are unable to understand this very simple concept,
>> I doubt you can achieve your goal of being an aerospace engineer.

:eek :eek :eek

highsea

srirangan said:
:eek :eek :eek
Well, maybe that was a little harsh. I apologize Rolex. I tend to get impatient when people cling to untenable positions when common sense should tell them otherwise.

ajay_ijn

Back to akash topic,they mentioned about phased array RADAR which is in development.I think its already developed.It was displayed in Aero India 2003.
Some Info on it.
http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_417.shtml
The Akash medium range air defence system consists of a 3D Central Acquisition Radar (CAR) radar for high resolution surveillance upto 180 km in range and 18 km in height, battery level Rajendra (not pictured) phased array radars to carry out target tracking, missile acquisition, guidance and launcher control, and mobile multirole launchers configured on either wheeled or tracked vehicles. At present, the SAM has an intercept range of 25 km, with limited ATBM capability being developed.

The pictured model shows the Radar Sensor Vehicle (RSV) of the 3D-CAR. The S-band radar is a multi-beam planar array which forms a Cosecant square beam in transmit and 6 stacked pencil beams in receive modes. The second TATA vehicle (not pictured) of the system acts as the Data Center and houses two radar consoles, an IFF control panel, communication equipment and a rest room. A third TATA vehicle acts as the power unit, with two 25 KVA, 3 phase 50 Hz, Diesel Gensets. The signal processor and data extractor are mounted with the RSV itself. The whole system takes less than 20 minutes to deploy and can be operated at high altitude regions of upto 4000 m above sea-level and temperatures between -20° to +55° C. Designed to operate in an ECM-intensive environment, the system also presents jamming analysis using omni channel and clutter/weather/ECM video maps.
Do u think India needs to buy some Medium Range Russian SAM like Grizzly or Gadfly becoz India's SAM Systems like S-125 pechora are becoming very old.
Strangely Akash Ceiling is only 18km which is not enough for intercepting Some aircraft like Su-30 or Su-27.
In every field India is buying Some Foreign System as well as developing indigenous system.
for example in T-90 and Arjun, Su-30 and LCA, Shitl SAM and Trishul etc
Although India is trying to buy Patriot or Arrow but they are costly so they are buyed only in limited numbers to Defend Cities.It will also take time for India to Sign the deal and deploy the system.
Akash is not deployed yet and the old SAM's needs immediate replacement.

However Army has buyed some Tunguska SAM,but they are only point defence SAM systems.

Rolex

Hi Highsea,
I never said you are wrong nor i said i dont believe in the newton's law... All i wanted to say was 'there is a difference between the polar launch and equatorial launch'...
Well, about the aerospace engineer thing... It did shock me., :cry Only time will tell... anyway you did apologize :) ... Good that the more we debate the more we learn...
Hey sri thanks...
I'm sorry about the 10m/s^2 thing, thats an approx value we used to take for easier calculations.
Ajay
I know Mass Ratio has nothing to do with thrust to weight ratio but a Missile needs to have minimum value of thrust to weight ratio as one.

Just imagine if the weight of the engine is more than the thrust produced,then the rocket will not lift off which is the basic principle of rocket.
The ratio must be atleast one for the rocket to lift off.
The Missiles range also depends upon the duration of the thrust.
Never said no.,
Thats a basic necesscity... What i said was,
As the criteria are not the same, we stick to the specific impulse and burnout time for range calculations.
:)

omegasigma

srirangan said:
Here's a related news item Jacob; hopefully you'll find it informative.

- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -

A breakthrough – the new Akash missile test launch demonstrates its capability to destroy any incoming Pakistani or Chinese missiles
http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/12-01b-04.asp

Precision guidance and software driven adaptive control required Akash missile test fire again. Silently India has achieved something that is creating panic in Pakistani military.

The Akash missile test had a very strategic and secret plan of tests. It made sure appropriate positioning of many Akash missiles all over the country is capable of intercepting and destroying any nuclear capable missile way above the ground. India plans to perfect the technology and may provide some sort of nuclear umbrella the country needs badly to protect against Pakistan and China.

India on Tuesday test-fired a short-range anti-aircraft missile from a site in Orissa, defence sources said. This was the second test of the missile named Akash, which means Sky in Hindi, in four days. The last successful test was on Friday and came a day after rival Pakistan tested a short-range nuclear-capable missile. The sources said Akash was fired from a mobile launcher at 11:57 am at the Chandipur-on-Sea testing site, 200 kilometres (125 miles) northeast of Orissa's state capital Bhubaneswar. "It successfully hit the target dropped from a pilotless target aircraft," a defence source said. The 700-kilogram (1,540-pound) Akash can carry a 60-kilogram warhead and is designed to travel 27 kilometres (17 miles). It can strike several targets simultaneously. Akash is one of five missiles being developed by India's state-run Defence Research and Development Organisation.
I think Akash has a long way to go now. The user trials will be ready only in December 2005 accoring to the Ministry of Defence disclosure to the Indian Parliament. ABM defence is a very tough target to achieve. The recent failed US trials are proof of that. A better option for India is to fully integrate Phalcon with the Green Pine and deploy a good number of Barak IIs to protect strategic assets and cities. This will provide a credible warning and ballistic missile defence. The only reason I am talking about Barak II and not Barak I is due to the inability of the latter to protect against aircrafts.

ajay_ijn

How does the AKASH compare to the HQ-9 and the Ft-2000?
Its no match for both of them if we consider the present version.
Present version is to only reaplce old Indian Medium range SAM force.

armage

So your saying the HQ-9 and FT-2000 are better than the AKASH?
I thought the HQ-9 didn't have a ABM system...

ajay_ijn

So your saying the HQ-9 and FT-2000 are better than the AKASH?
Ya but Akash will be upgraded to standards to S-300/patriot to give it ATBM capability.
I thought the HQ-9 didn't have a ABM system...
No HQ-9 is based on SA-10,so it will have capability to intercept tactical Ballistic Missiles.
I think FT-2000 can be countered by Anti-RADAR Missiles like Kh-31 of range 200km currently being armed with Su-30MKI.
Can FT-2000 be fooled with Decoys,Flares and Jammers?