Aircraft designations

mTn_biKer65

Hi,

Can someone assist me with some Aircraft history? I'm trying to decipher the aircraft designation from some pictures that I've been provided. Can anyone assist with some or all of these pictures?

All aircraft are military, or military variants. Some are included because they had unique designs or places in aviation history. All aircraft were or are currently in production, no experimental or test designs were used.

If you have some info for me you can either leave it here or e-mail me at [email protected]

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Picture A

Picture B

Picture C

Picture D

Picture E

Picture F

Picture G

Picture H

Picture I

Picture J

petrac

Hi mTn_biKer65,

they look like:
- F111A from Lakenheath AB, UK
- Late model Mosquito from RAF
- USAF C9A Nightingale
- I know the helo but cannot remember the designation, wasn't it the CH54??
- B36 bomber from USAF
- Norwegion P3B orion
- Canadian P3A Orion
- USAF DC4 (cannot remember the military designation)
- A6 Intruder (cannot make the model on this drawing)
- Austrian AF Saab Draken

hope this helps?
Petrac

McTaff

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Hi mTn_biKer65,

they look like:
- F111A from Lakenheath AB, UK
- Late model Mosquito from RAF
- USAF C9A Nightingale
- I know the helo but cannot remember the designation, wasn't it the CH54??
- B36 bomber from USAF
- Norwegion P3B orion
- Canadian P3A Orion
- USAF DC4 (cannot remember the military designation)
- A6 Intruder (cannot make the model on this drawing)
- Austrian AF Saab Draken

hope this helps?
Petrac
Jus to add to Petrac's answers:

A, E, F ,G, I and J are correct. (Your answer for A is very specific; well done!)

B does look like a Mossie, but I haven't seen the four-bladed prop before. Can we get a clarification on model from this please Petrac? I am all curious of a sudden!

C in is also known more commonly as the DC-9 in civilian aviation, but the designation above is entirely correct.

D looks like a CH-54 SkyCrane, but has some subtle variations from the model commonly photographed. Probably an early prototype or early production model. Behind it, however, is a H-21 "Flying Banana"

Picture H: Yes it is a DC-4. Called the C-54 Skymaster in military form. Lots of people confuse this with the Lockheed Super Constellation. The big differences being the triple tail of the Connie, and the Connie is a fair bit larger.

Last edited:

McTaff

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
It is. PX210, the first one, even. Delivered Feb 28, '45.
I knew something wasn't quite right about a four bladed Mosquito :)

Well how about that. I never even knew about that aircraft - I am ashamed, seeing as Australian owned one. Interesting that they saw service in the Malayan Emergency.

Interesting move on the engines operating with opposite rotation to one another. More expensive but very much worth the effort when it comes to flight characteristics, and more importantly failure of one engine. Anyone with a twin-engine that's had a failure of the critical engine can tell you it is no pleasant experience.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Picture B is a de Havilland D.H. 103 Hornet

"Production started in late 1944, the first aircraft, PX210, was delivered to Boscombe Down on Feb. 28th, 1945. Production of the Fighter version finished in June 1952, a total of 211 were delivered to the RAF."

Reg Shoe

D looks like a CH-54 SkyCrane, but has some subtle variations from the model commonly photographed. Probably an early prototype or early production model. Behind it, however, is a H-21 "Flying Banana".
It's older than the SkyCrane. This is a piston-engined CH-37 / Sikorsky S-56, built in the early '50s and used into the '60s. Wikipedia has the exact same photo.

In the background is indeed a downed Piasecki H-21.

Raybin

Strange......:confused:
This user ( same username) made the identical post on sept. 11th 07 at www.planespotters.net.
I gave him the types, but no answer from him since this day. Now here the same, he has answers but no reply by him.
very, very strange :confused: :confused:
Greets
Ray