Ah-64 Apache, can small arms knock down it?

dioditto

I think if you are a crackshot, and place a few well placed shot on the rotor joints itself, even automatic weapon can bring it down. A few good shots into the engine air intake also would damage the internal engine enough to bring the chopper down. Last not the least, if all else fails, there is can always the laser trick, using high power laser to blind the pilot hoping he would crash the chopper...

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
If you are able to target something as small as the pilots head why not just use a 7.62mm+ MG? ;)

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
I think if you are a crackshot, and place a few well placed shot on the rotor joints itself, even automatic weapon can bring it down. A few good shots into the engine air intake also would damage the internal engine enough to bring the chopper down. Last not the least, if all else fails, there is can always the laser trick, using high power laser to blind the pilot hoping he would crash the chopper...
What about blinding the pilot with a mirror? :eek:nfloorl:

Wow. From what people are saying its so easy to bring down an Apache I'm amazed that there are any helicopters still flying in Afghanistan, Iraq or any other war zone. How come military forces all over the world are still buying huge quantities of helicopters when they are apparently such easy targets? :rolleyes:

It reminds me of an old movie I saw where the hero swam out to a Japanese destroyer, which was travelling at full speed, and threw a hand grenade which went down the funnel and blew it up! :eek:nfloorl:

As Waylander said there is always the chance of a golden bullet but I think I would be spending my money on MANPADS rather than snipers as a counter to armed helos. Of course a helo, including an Apache, can be brought down by small arms fire. It has been demonstrated that this is the case. The question to be answered is how likely is this to happen when helos are used in a tactically sensible manner?

Cheers

Last edited:

hudi82

naa, the rotor hub is too strong, no change of damaging that with small arms. and the engine it self can take good blows. but the electrical systems and electronics are not that good with taking a bullet.

Ozzy Blizzard

If you are a professional intel analyst, military personnel and/or have access to secret information, and your stories and info. can be considered secret you are making a serious violation. This site is not the site for you. No one that this information directly affects is impressed by your knowledge. The only benefit that comes from your foaming at the mouth is a perfect open source resource for the enemies of the United States to ask you questions such as "Ah-64 Apache, can small arms knock down it?" and have you naively answer as if you are contributing in some way - when it is in fact highly likely that you are being dooped into providing information that is vital for the enemy. Unless you are an insurgent seeking to improve your tactics, you might consider a little dose of discretion in light of the recent events in Iraq. There is no argument in opposition to my position listed above that validates your writing in these blogs...so don't waste your time. If the enemy has access to the info. - YOU ARE HELPING THEM!!!
Maybe we should stop political debate too, any opostition to any of the desisions made by our leades is "emboldening" the terrorists. You know what, everytime someone votes against the current government, they're critisising their actions and "emboldening" the terorists, so iguess we should stop all this voting stuff too. Geesh you think insergents would have better intel sources than DT, like their own experiance in combating these systems. I've never read a post from the professional group that has even smelt like a security leak, (sometimes i wish i had got some inside info!!!). They all serve their countries and know thier responsibilites and i've never seen anything but intergrity in ther actions, so i dont know what your posting about.

steve33

I think all and all the Apache has gone pretty well if you look at the amount of hours they would have flown and compare that to how many have been shot down.

No weapon system is ever going to be perfect there will always be lossesto some degree.

steve33

I think all and all the Apache has gone pretty well if you look at the amount of hours they would have flown and compare that to how many have been shot down.

No weapon system is ever going to be perfect there will always be losses to some degree.