Abrams destroyed by friendly, not Iraqi, fire

Pursuit Curve

Wooki said:
What looks like a shot trap on modern tanks is not designed to deflect a high velocity penetrator.

But what if you turned around and fired a low velocity projectile at it? Now that would be interesting. A HESH round might bounce and splat for spectacular effect.
Interesting point about long rod penetrators, though if you go to a certain museum, ( I cannot remember the name!) in Normady, there is a Panther tank there that was knocked out by a Sherman (75) round bouncing off the lower gun mantlet and smashing through the hull machine gunners roof, killing him and knocking out the Panther.

As far as I know, a HESH round impacts the armour, then compresses and then detonates, if it splatters then the base fuse at the back of the palstic bag might not function, but a piece of high velocity penetrator bouncing off and impacting that area will have the same effect as a explosive shaped penetrator.

Wooki

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Pursuit Curve said:
but a piece of high velocity penetrator bouncing off and impacting that area will have the same effect as a explosive shaped penetrator.
That was the point I was trying to make PC :) . A KE penetrator would not bounce off, but be "absorbed" (for want of a better word).

Suggesting the HESH round, meant to infer a lower velocity (which it may or may not have) and not detonating until it had bounced into the shot trap.

Bravo36

Gentlemen(and ladies), if you will take a close look at the rear of an Abrams M1A1 and A2 MBT, the rear of the tank is comprised of a grill to allow the exhaust to exit. A very bad weak spot. An APFSDS penetrator can easily penetrate that area and disable the vehicle. I am a mech infantry NCO (retired after 27 years of service.) and yes, I was in DS-1 in "91". I was in the first unit to receive the Bradley and as a Bradley Master Gunner for my Battalion (1st Bn, 155th(m), I know first hand what the 25mm Bushmaster will do.

Wooki

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Bravo36 said:
Gentlemen(and ladies), if you will take a close look at the rear of an Abrams M1A1 and A2 MBT, the rear of the tank is comprised of a grill to allow the exhaust to exit. A very bad weak spot. An APFSDS penetrator can easily penetrate that area and disable the vehicle. I am a mech infantry NCO (retired after 27 years of service.) and yes, I was in DS-1 in "91". I was in the first unit to receive the Bradley and as a Bradley Master Gunner for my Battalion (1st Bn, 155th(m), I know first hand what the 25mm Bushmaster will do.
Hallelujah,

Thank you for that Bravo36.