A hypothetical carrier buy for the RAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weasel1962

Last edited:

agc33e

Banned Member
Amongst the other purposes of some jets in ships, is the mpa they can give, if you are having a system on the helos for over the horizon asigment, say lamps, arent you going to use more the jet than the helo in a situation where the machine has to fly low, because of your enemies radar, and has to fly through uncontrolled waters, an helo can be shot down much more easly by an hostile sub than a jet, a supersonic jet could scape from the range of the sub´s missile. Apart from the speed and range of the recoinasence, 250 km/h for the helo versus 1000 for the jet.

Sea Toby

In uncontrolled waters a submarine should be submerged, so how can it use a radar guided missile against either a helicopter or a jet fighter even if a submarine had anti-air missiles:eek:nfloorl:?

It is interesting to read point 46 to 60 regarding the rationale for retiring the FA2s whilst keeping the GR-9s.

House of Commons - Defence - Sixth Special Report

The RN doesn't exactly have a long range sam-capable Type 45 at this time either...
Thanks for posting this link. Very interesting.....what "Sir Humphrey" rubbish: oh the FA2 is obsolete so get rid (better obsolete than nothing!). The T45 is not a replacement but it can cover it.....they are still not operational!

'Whatever the rationale for withdrawing the Sea Harriers early it is regrettable that the MOD was taking delivery of new Sea Harriers only a few years before making that decision. At the very least, we are presented with a poor impression of long term planning in the MoD.' .

Prehaps the understatement of all time.

I don't think these people could run a bath! What has happenend to RN planning: FRS1, FA2, JSF/Typhoon, they can't get anything right....but its ok because maybe in 10 years time we might get a few fighters on 2 ridiculously oversized carriers.

Last edited by a moderator:

benithisrael

Banned Member
If I was in the Australian Defence ministry, I would weigh the Queen Elizabeth Class - prince of Wales as a good buy than Kitty Hawk. Or a huyuga class ship from Japan might suffice. [Mod Edit: You've been post post-whoring in a number of threads in an attempt to increase your post count. This practice of posting nonsense in a thread without actually reading it must stop.]

If Defence relation with India turn upswing, they might collaborate and build a common design, this could well be really cheap. [Mod Edit: This is an wildly speculative claim. Please substantiate the unfounded claim that India and Australia will or might collaborate on naval ship building.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
In uncontrolled waters a submarine should be submerged, so how can it use a radar guided missile against either a helicopter or a jet fighter even if a submarine had anti-air missiles:eek:nfloorl:?
Missiles are being developed (have been?) that can target and be fired at an aircraft/helo despite the sub being submerged. Don't discount this.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
AIM-9X has also been fired successfully from an underwater platform. However I'd hesitate to use this as evidence of the point being made, as I have strong doubts a low flying platform travelling at supersonic speeds is going to be able to provide any sort of thorough sub detection and is going to absolutely chew through its fuel, and thus cannot provide a persistent capability.

Though I'm not well versed in ASW techniques I believe there's a reason that maritime patrol aircraft are usually large designs with good loiter times and thoroughly subsonic. So the idea of a supersonic fighter aircraft providing an ASW capability as inferred by agc33e sounds pretty ridiculous.

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Maybe... I have been reading about submarine anti air missiles for thirty years... Hasn't happened yet...
Keep your ears open, you'll also be hearing about UAV's being launched and controlled from submerged subs too...

weasel1962

Re:

AIM-9X has also been fired successfully from an underwater platform. However I'd hesitate to use this as evidence of the point being made, as I have strong doubts a low flying platform travelling at supersonic speeds is going to be able to provide any sort of thorough sub detection and is going to absolutely chew through its fuel, and thus cannot provide a persistent capability.

Though I'm not well versed in ASW techniques I believe there's a reason that maritime patrol aircraft are usually large designs with good loiter times and thoroughly subsonic. So the idea of a supersonic fighter aircraft providing an ASW capability as inferred by agc33e sounds pretty ridiculous.
That would be the LWW...
Raytheon-led Littoral Warfare Weapons Team Demonstrates Successful Underwater Launch - Sep 14, 2009

I found this link interesting.
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1989/1989 - 2529.html

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Maybe... I have been reading about submarine anti air missiles for thirty years... Hasn't happened yet...
Apparently Soviet/Russian Kilo, Akula and Typhoon-class submarines all (could) carry SA-N-5 or SA-N-8 portable SAM systems. Basically navalized versions of Soviet/Russian Manpads. I am not aware of any incidents where they were actually used, but apparently GF is.

Amongst the other purposes of some jets in ships, is the mpa they can give, if you are having a system on the helos for over the horizon asigment, say lamps, arent you going to use more the jet than the helo in a situation where the machine has to fly low, because of your enemies radar, and has to fly through uncontrolled waters, an helo can be shot down much more easly by an hostile sub than a jet, a supersonic jet could scape from the range of the sub´s missile. Apart from the speed and range of the recoinasence, 250 km/h for the helo versus 1000 for the jet.
I would suggest checking ones facts, prior to making a post like this again. At present and having checked some of my sources, these are the following MRA/MPA which are jet-powered. They are the Tu-22MR "Backfire", the Xian H-6/Tu-16 "Badger", Nimrod MR.2/MRA.4, the S-3 Viking, and the upcoming P-8A Poseidon. With the exception of the Tu-22MR "Backfire" all of these jet-powered aircraft are subsonic. And with the exception of the carrier-bourne ASW jet the S-3 Viking, the other aircraft are either variants of civilian airliners or long-ranged military bombers. There are of course others which I have either not come across in the immediate search I did, and/or had been operational but since retired

What is important for most surveillance-type operations is the ability to stay on station for extended periods of time. Speed is largely irrelevant in terms of a "bonus" feature, and in many cases high speed is actually a negative capability. Something like an MPA, whether it is fixed or rotary-winged, is going to have an assigned area to monitor as it were, looking for possible intrusions. As such, being in the appropriate location to monitor the assigned area for as long as possible is typically more important than being able to get to/from the patrol station. A good compare/contrast example comes from the USCG. The HC-144A Ocean Sentry, which is a version of the Spanish CN-235-300 is entering USCG service to replace the HU-25 Guardian, itself a variant of the Dassault Falcon 20G jet. Depending on configuration, the prop-powered Ocean Sentry and have a mission endurance of ~9 hours, which is a significant improvement of the max 4 hours from the HU-25 Guardian. Given that the Falcon has a max speed nearly twice the speed of a CN-235 but is still being replaced, it would tend to suggest that being "fast" is not an advantage in terms of MPA ops.

Additionally, the P-3 Orion MPA is a version of a propeller-driven civilian airliner from the late 1950's, with the final MPA version ceasing production ~1992 IIRC. The reason a replacement programme is underway for the aircract is that some examples of the Orion which are still in service are upgraded -B Orions, and/or early model -C Orions from the 1960's which means that may well have hit the forty year mark. That would suggest that the Orion was considered a "good" design, which means speed was unimportant in terms of operationss.

Just to reiterate, it is often worthwhile double checking ones position and supporting facts, prior to posting them. Doing so, can often help one avoid posting incorrect or inaccurate information.

-Cheers

weasel1962

Re:

Apparently Soviet/Russian Kilo, Akula and Typhoon-class submarines all (could) carry SA-N-5 or SA-N-8 portable SAM systems. Basically navalized versions of Soviet/Russian Manpads. I am not aware of any incidents where they were actually used, but apparently GF is.
The key is submerged firings. Any submarine can carry manpads.

riksavage

Banned Member
The key is submerged firings. Any submarine can carry manpads.
How would a submerged deep diving SSN/SSBN detect an air-threat unless under attack? Will flank arrays pick up the sound of rotors at distance? The firing of anti-air missiles underwater would immediately alert a nearby enemy to the rough position of the submarine. The boats captain would have to be pretty confident of a successful attack, failure would mean attracting a pretty harsh response in the surrounding area where the missile broke the surface.

A submarines primary defence against airborne attack is stealth and depth (unless confined to a littoral environment), I'm not sure I would risk exposing a billion dollar sub to shoot down a single AsW helo unless all other evasive eventualities have been exhausted.

weasel1962

Re:

How would a submerged deep diving SSN/SSBN detect an air-threat unless under attack? Will flank arrays pick up the sound of rotors at distance? The firing of anti-air missiles underwater would immediately alert a nearby enemy to the rough position of the submarine. The boats captain would have to be pretty confident of a successful attack, failure would mean attracting a pretty harsh response in the surrounding area where the missile broke the surface.

A submarines primary defence against airborne attack is stealth and depth (unless confined to a littoral environment), I'm not sure I would risk exposing a billion dollar sub to shoot down a single AsW helo unless all other evasive eventualities have been exhausted.
Read flightglobal article. Engine blade noise. Dipping sonar. Sonobuoy/torpedo drop. Or blind shooting.

Under-water silent torp travel until away from sub before breaking water.

agc33e

Banned Member

I am not talking about asw from the jet, but surface ships search from the jet, that sense of mpa, like they use the helos for asigning surface targets for the harpoons, for ex., with the lamps system which is useful for that as well. Not asw.

Apart they can by sight see the sub if it is snorkling.

Last edited:

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro

Yes, a purely defensive system. If there was a Seahawk hovering nearby getting a solution to launch a torpedo, The fact that you would be giving away your lloacation wouldn't be an issue - your survival is at stake - take out the helo and go.

riksavage

Banned Member
Yes, a purely defensive system. If there was a Seahawk hovering nearby getting a solution to launch a torpedo, The fact that you would be giving away your lloacation wouldn't be an issue - your survival is at stake - take out the helo and go.
One would assume you would have to raise up to a minimum depth, I'd opt to dive deep and reduce the likelihood of the AsW (helo or maritime aircraft) launched homing torpedo locking on and defeating my counter measures. I can't imagine a sub can track a maritime aircraft (MR4 for example), which has dropped sonar buoys and is coming in for the kill unless located in very shallow water. The missile will also require a two stage launch, one to push the weapon above water line (compressed air say) followed by a main engine ignition to send it on its way to the target.

Status
Not open for further replies.