.50 vs 20mm

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
you need a codec for JPEG. you need to download one from microsoft website or you may install another image editing software like ACDsee

Wooki

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Can someone help me here, could you in theory create an EFP that on deteonation has so much pressure that when the warhead of say the RPG detonates it conforms into the shape of the EFP's blast? Shrapnel and everything are directed away from anything because of the way the blast is formed?
ok, in a word, no; as the shaped charge warhead has more inertia then the smaller projectile. But it would still screw it up (if you achieved such a hit) and may even cause a pre-detonation of simpler shaped charges as they nearly all rely on piezo electric fundamentals to detonate. Either way I wouldn't rate the shaped charge's chances of successfully detonating and achieving penetration of a hull if a 20 mm projectile hit it while it was in flight to its target.

cheers

w

lobbie111

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was thinking of this like the US armies combat mix on the A-10 thunderbolt. Having two tungsten penetrator or airburst rounds to predetonate the warhead and another of the two explosive type munitions to enclose in the detonated warhead, hows that?

F-15 Eagle

The XM307 is duel feed, I never specified what ammunition I was going to use, For a directional blast all I have to do is modify existing shell designs for that caliber plus the XM307 is duel feed so I can put in standard ammo as well. Although the fact is that that type of shell would probably be very effective against light armour and infantry.
The XM307 25mm looks like a good gun, it can also be converted into the XM312 .50 cal machine gun in less than 2 muinutes. These guns will be able to take enemy cover out of the picture and the XM312 is an upgraded M2 but with much better accuracy. Our solders can hit targets at over a mile or 2000m with these weapons.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The XM307 25mm looks like a good gun, it can also be converted into the XM312 .50 cal machine gun in less than 2 muinutes. These guns will be able to take enemy cover out of the picture and the XM312 is an upgraded M2 but with much better accuracy. Our solders can hit targets at over a mile or 2000m with these weapons.
1. The XM312 is not related to the M2.
2. The XM312 offers no range improvement over an M2.
3. The XM307 has less range than a Mk19.
4. The XM307 has significantly less firepower than a Mk19.
5. Conversion takes a bit longer than 2 minutes.
and so on...

F-15 Eagle

1. The XM312 is not related to the M2.
2. The XM312 offers no range improvement over an M2.
3. The XM307 has less range than a Mk19.
4. The XM307 has significantly less firepower than a Mk19.
5. Conversion takes a bit longer than 2 minutes.
and so on...
No you got your facts wrong and you misread my post, the MK-19 has a range of 1600m, the XM307 has a range of 2000m. I did not say the XM312 has more range than the M2, I said it is much more accurate. Conversion is less than two minutes according most sourses. The XM307 is much more leathal than the MK-19, in the time it takes the MK-19 to send one grenade the XM307 can send 3. The MK-19 fires dumb fire 40mm grandes while the XM307 can fire smart air bursting 25mm granades. There is much less recoil on the XM307/XM312 than the MK-19. The MK-19 fires is rounds at a high arch while the XM307 has a much flatter trajectory.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The Mk19 has a maximum range of 2,200 meters. I've yet got anything to see stating those 2,000 meters on the XM307 as effective range.

The XM307 is much more leathal than the MK-19, in the time it takes the MK-19 to send one grenade the XM307 can send 3.
Umm, no. We're not talking about single-shot weapons. The XM307 has a RoF of only 250 rpm vs the Mk19's 350-375 rpm.
I know you mean the XM307's 425m/s MV vs the Mk19's 244m/s MV of course, but that doesn't make a weapon "more lethal". The more than twice as high projectile weight of the 40mm (compared to 25mm LV) is what does it.
Or to say it another way: The Mk19 and XM307 can put their respective magazines on target in about similar times, with the Mk19 putting far more destructive volume out there.

Airburst is a single-application killer app. About the only thing it's useful for is against hostiles in defilade with some kind of overhead cover. And the XM307's shell doesn't put much behind that.

The MK-19 fires is rounds at a high arch while the XM307 has a much flatter trajectory.
Which is a downside for the XM307 in quite a lot of the Mk19's applications...