2nd Australian led Timor Leste intervention

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aussie Digger

East Timor asks for Australian troops

East Timor's foreign minister says his country will invite Australian peacekeepers to restore calm, after a second day of fighting around the capital Dili.

Jose Ramos Horta said a meeting of East Timorese government officials had decided to ask four countries for help. The countries were Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia and Portugal.
Australia would be asked to provide police and a "small but credible" force of troops. It was hoped they could be on the ground in the next 2-3 days, Mr Ramos Horta told the ABC's 7:30 Report.

However, Australia's Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said no formal request had been received and Australia was more likely to send troops than police.
"We do need to have a formal request, by way of a request in writing signed by the president, and by the prime minister, and ideally by the speaker of parliament," Mr Downer told the ABC.

He said the situation on the ground meant sending troops would be preferable.

"I think it's much less likely we would be sending police in the near future," Mr Downer said. "I think it's more likely that if we send anybody, we'll send troops."

He said additional formalities were required, such as agreement on the rules under which foreign troops would operate.

"We would need to have with the East Timorese, a status of forces agreement," Mr Downer said.

The size of the force would also depend on the East Timorese request.
"We'd be looking at something in the vicinity of a battalion, or perhaps a battalion group," Mr Downer said.

Mr Ramos Horta predicted Australian troops would have "an immediate calming effect throughout the country" and would be unlikely to face hostile fire.

"We do not anticipate that either the police or the defence force will have to engage in any hostile activity," Mr Ramos Horta said.

"I view these as preventative measures to prevent the country sliding further into instability."

Portugal was likely to provide a police unit that had served overseas before, including in Iraq, Mr Ramos Horta added. He said he had been talking with rebel troops.

At least one person was killed yesterday in the violence, which began with rioting earlier this month after 600 troops were dismissed from the fledgling nation's military.
Royal Australian Navy vessels the HMAS Kanimbla and HMAS Manoora were stationed off the coast of Darwin earlier today, in anticipation of the East Timorese request.

Courtesy of www.yahoo.com.au

Word around the traps is the Naval fleet has already set sail and will be off the coast of Dili by 6.00am Australian time. (About 5hrs from now).

Apparently 1 RAR, 2 RAR, 3/4 Cav Regt and 2nd Cav Regt plus a specwarrie contingent and support elements have got the "gig"...

They might even have a few contacts over there too. This is the closest thing we've had to a force on force fight since the "heady days" of Interfet and that "misunderstanding" on the border of West Timor that left the TNI (Indonesian Army) 5-nil down against 2RAR... :p:

Ozzy Blizzard

its on! what type of force structure are we dealing with here? elements or full regements? It looks like the largest thing we've done scine 99. thanks for the heads up!:gun

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
East Timor Go Ahead

Well it look like its official, AAP has reported that 1000-1300 ADF personnel will head to Timor with the Advance party going in soon, NZ and Portugal have been asked, but I wouldnt imagine NZ sending anything more than a rifle company, but more likely the Field Surgical hospital, the better part of 350 soldiers on operational deployment in Afghanstan and the Solomons.
The Manorra Kanimbla and Tobruk are standing by. Well there goes the budget for the year. The NSC has already aprroved the deployments, so it looks like Darwin is going to be a hive of activity, I bet they wish they the C17's already.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Big-E said:
So if Indonesia opens fire on Australian forces will they declare war?
There were some interim discussions with the Indons last week.

I don't think that there is any risk of that happening.

marxist_command

Big-E said:
So if Indonesia opens fire on Australian forces will they declare war?
Indonesia would never do such things. We won't open fire to the Australian forces as long as they remain on the Timor land. Our troops on the border was just regular troops and 1 or two groups of artillery and some koppasus soldier. But if Australia pass Indonesian border, well We don't have any option left

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
marxist_command said:
Indonesia would never do such things. We won't open fire to the Australian forces as long as they remain on the Timor land. Our troops on the border was just regular troops and 1 or two groups of artillery and some koppasus soldier. But if Australia pass Indonesian border, well We don't have any option left
I don't think you're going to shoot us after we gave your Govt $1.3bn in aide money after the Tsunami. ;) We're still neighbours and that means we have to work out how to get along with each other even when our Govts change.

as I said prev, the Aust Govt and Indon Govt had discussions re East Timor last week.

Ozzy Blizzard

marxist_command said:
If i remember correctly it was indonesian troops who opened fire on 2RAR when THEY were over the boader due to a navigation error. I hope we dont have any more missunderstandings like that again (for the indo's sake:D as Aussie digger stated above its 5 nill)!

Padman

NZ Contribution

Word from Wellington is that NZ forces will likely deploy soon. What forces though I don't know. Perhaps a couple platoons of infantry plus some recon in short term. Hercules, 757s and Hueys perhaps. I think Te Mana is in area.

marxist_command

gf0012-aust said:
I don't think you're going to shoot us after we gave your Govt $1.3bn in aide money after the Tsunami. ;) We're still neighbours and that means we have to work out how to get along with each other even when our Govts change.

as I said prev, the Aust Govt and Indon Govt had discussions re East Timor last week.
Yes we will try to get along with u. BUT, the "aide" problem will never make us take it easily if Australia troops passing Indonesian border.:cop We just defending our side right? I believe Australia will do the same thing if Indonesian troops make a land on their land

marxist_command

Ozzy Blizzard said:
If i remember correctly it was indonesian troops who opened fire on 2RAR when THEY were over the boader due to a navigation error. I hope we dont have any more missunderstandings like that again (for the indo's sake:D as Aussie digger stated above its 5 nill)!
Like I said before. As long as they stay on Timor land or "Their own land". On the accident the 2 RAR already pass the border(that's what our govt report), and :)coffee even though not officially reported) The 2 RAR didn't answer the first,second,and third warning.

After all, peace is better

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
marxist_command said:
Yes we will try to get along with u. BUT, the "aide" problem will never make us take it easily if Australia troops passing Indonesian border.:cop We just defending our side right? I believe Australia will do the same thing if Indonesian troops make a land on their land
have you looked at the map to see what areas are under conflict?

Its around Dili and east of Dili towards the ranges. Thats not even remotely close to the border.

Any conversations about cross border incursion is thus a bit academic. The whole reason for the meeting last week between the Indon and Aust govts was obviously to make sure that everyone knew what was unfolding. I'd be guessing that this meeting wasn't even something that the average Indonesian was aware of.

Ozzy Blizzard

marxist_command said:
Like I said before. As long as they stay on Timor land or "Their own land". On the accident the 2 RAR already pass the border(that's what our govt report), and :)coffee even though not officially reported) The 2 RAR didn't answer the first,second,and third warning.

After all, peace is better
War between Indonesia and Australia would be a disaster for everyone in the region. When i said THEY i did mean TNI personel. I know none of us can know for sure because we weren't there but i think it's more likely that TNI forces were in the wrong place rather than 2RAR. Wern't these the same guys who were training and insearting pro-indonesian millitia's who killed and mutilated an NZDF soldier? Anyway peace is allways better and as long as everyonestays on their side of the border (and i dont think it would be in anyones interests to go and play special forces) there shouldn't be any problems. And as GF stated above ADF personell will probably be no where near the border so this IS all academic.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Lets all get back to the issue of East Timor. The Indon-Aust problem from 1999 has minimal relevance to the current problem.

marxist_command

gf0012-aust said:
have you looked at the map to see what areas are under conflict?

Its around Dili and east of Dili towards the ranges. Thats not even remotely close to the border.

Any conversations about cross border incursion is thus a bit academic. The whole reason for the meeting last week between the Indon and Aust govts was obviously to make sure that everyone knew what was unfolding. I'd be guessing that this meeting wasn't even something that the average Indonesian was aware of.
Yups, agree with that. I just hope that the rebellion won't explode in west Timor:D

marxist_command

gf0012-aust said:
Lets all get back to the issue of East Timor. The Indon-Aust problem from 1999 has minimal relevance to the current problem.
Sure.From the passage before I know that ADF will send about 1000-1300 troops to Timor. I just wondering did the army just to "frightening" or they will join combat? If yes, do they have anti-Guerrila tactics? Don't wanna to prolong the rebellion right?

Ozzy Blizzard

Personally i think it will be an anti climax, like the solomons. The 600 rebel soldiers might get a bit frisky but theyll probably come to heal pretty quickley after troops arive. Does anyone know why they were kiked out? was it racial or political? Funding issues?

Big-E

Banned Member
marxist_command said:
Yups, agree with that. I just hope that the rebellion won't explode in west Timor:D
I think Indonesia has a much bigger problem with West Papua and the OPM.:shudder

Ozzy Blizzard

Big-E said:
I think Indonesia has a much bigger problem with West Papua and the OPM.:shudder
Me to. ethnically, politically it has all the hallmarks of a potential disaster. they would be in the same boat in Ache if it wasn't for the tsunami dissaster.

Big-E

Banned Member
Ozzy Blizzard said:
Me to. ethnically, politically it has all the hallmarks of a potential disaster. they would be in the same boat in Ache if it wasn't for the tsunami dissaster.
What a nightmare Indonesia would face if West Papua, Timor, Sumatra declared independence and PRC made a move on the Natunas. Then all the other islands would want to break away and Indonesia would only be in Java.

Status
Not open for further replies.