Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st Confirmed Sighting of Chinese UAV

Discussion in 'Geostrategic Issues' started by ManilaBoy, Jun 24, 2011.

Share This Page

1. ManilaBoy

ManilaBoy Banned Member

The MSDF of Japan has confirmed the 1st sighting of a Chinese UAV over the East Philippine Sea yesterday, it is beleived to be a naval version as seen from the photo below...

Chinese UAV spotted by MSDF Aircraft

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  2. Doomownage94

Doomownage94 New Member

I have to say the site you posted is fantastic.

3. naruto

naruto New Member

red chinese are just flaunting their supposed might:gun

4. gf0012-aust

gf0012-aust Grumpy Old Man Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

Just in case people haven't read the Forum Rules yet....

play nice.....

5. StevoJH

StevoJH Active Member

I am definately surprised this is the first confirmed sighting of a chinese UAV. I'm guessing its probably more like the first *publically acknowledged* confirmed sighting.

I wouldn't be surprised if China has had UAV's in service for many years in one capacity or another.

6. jamesinjapan

jamesinjapan New Member

Greetings!

I'm the author of the post linked to at the top of the page and co-owner of Japan Security Watch.

@SteveJH: You are of course right, the Chinese have been using UAVs for a long time. In a later post I discussed the possibility that the UAV that was caught on camera was in fact a descendant of Yamaha technology illegally exported and used to make an Army UAV. I can't post the link as I've only just joined the forum - looking forward to sticking around - but you can find it here:
    Code:
    newpacificinstitute.org/jsw/?p=6966
    This was certainly the first time that this particular model has even been spotted. It is probably also the first confirmed sighting of a PLAN UAV, and it might be the first (as you say 'publicly confirmed') sighting of a UAV in use, as opposed to being on display.

@Doomownage94: Thanks a lot :) Made my day (and that of my blogging partner)

7. lucinator

lucinator New Member

8. ManilaBoy

ManilaBoy Banned Member

Thanks! Just a friendly advised that 'ONE LINERS' are not allowed on this forum as I was told before, otherwise my posting numbers would be much higher prior to them being all deleted by a forum moderator that considered them as 1 liners...