140 M1A1 SA tanks for Iraq At Last

Almaleki

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
well ,, i am Iraqi ... i dont think that US is going to give me Top-secret info on M1A1s !!!

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
For sure the US knows how to destroy them.
Just like how they plan to destroy any other modern tank out there in a shooting war.

I very much doubt that the US implemented some secret "blow up trigger" into their export Abrams which is controlled by a big red buzzer in the Pentagon...

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I would not consider them a threat since we built the tanks then we know how to destroy them in war.
The Iranian Zulfiqar tanks are indigenous designs, probably with a lot of help from their Chinese friends. So unless you are a Chinese or Iranian you can not say that "we" built these tanks. :D

But well, most has been said about those Zulfiqars. The latest version Zulfiqar 3 has never left the flatbed truck in public so as far as today we don't have a proof they are able to drive on their own at all. Let alone the state of development of their fire control system and so on.

Almaleki

Thx All ...

Zuilfaqar-3 ( they say it is Operational ) but as i know that could not Put the T-72 Fire Contral System in the Frame of the Tank !!!

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Thx All ...

Zuilfaqar-3 ( they say it is Operational ) but as i know that could not Put the T-72 Fire Contral System in the Frame of the Tank !!!
They have a couple of proto types for testing purposes but so far the emphasis has been the T-72 series for upgrades and new builds which now they do have the resources to do.

The Fire control more than likely is the same as Chinese Type 98.

Last edited:

F-15 Eagle

The Iranian Zulfiqar tanks are indigenous designs, probably with a lot of help from their Chinese friends. So unless you are a Chinese or Iranian you can not say that "we" built these tanks. :D

But well, most has been said about those Zulfiqars. The latest version Zulfiqar 3 has never left the flatbed truck in public so as far as today we don't have a proof they are able to drive on their own at all. Let alone the state of development of their fire control system and so on.
I'm talking about the M1A1's not about the ones you have listed.

F-15 Eagle

For sure the US knows how to destroy them.
Just like how they plan to destroy any other modern tank out there in a shooting war.

I very much doubt that the US implemented some secret "blow up trigger" into their export Abrams which is controlled by a big red buzzer in the Pentagon...
I'm not saying we put in a "secrete blow up trigger" but since we designed the M1 tank we know the strengths and weaknesses of if and how to take it out if the need ever arises.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Sure the US knows the Abrams in and out but in a combat environment this won't be of much use for the troops actually having to deal with them.

Troops in the field won't have the luxury to aim for the one bolt that might be a weak point in the frontal area or any other possible weak point. If anybody even tells them that.

The tank killer units in the US are going to try to kill enemy Abrams just like they try to kill any other modern enemy MBT.
Try to get as many as possible with Maveriks, Hellfires and LGBs before they reach the frontline. Try to disrupt their log support.
Go for the flanks and rear when one uses direkt fire weapons or use top attack munition like Javelin and TOW IIB for ATGM ambushes.
Nothing magically with this and just like anybody else should fight against modern MBTs.

The biggest question for the Iraqis during a conflict with Saudi Arabia would be if the Saudis are able to fully exploit the capabilities of their equipment and if they are able to keep it in the field and manned.
If yes they might very well pose a serious threat to the Iraqi armed forces if the US doesn't come to the help of the Iraqis.

Almaleki

okay i think i got it ,, i think it is Abrams there is a pictures for An Abrams in Najaf i saw before which looks like not shot Badliy ... and Najaf is Shia State and more of that Iraq gave its whole Airforce to Iran ... maybe that Tank went to Iran ... who knows !!! i saw the picture in Defense link Gallery i will look for it ..

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The Iranians do not have a captured M1A1 tank period, and they most likely are not concerned that Iraq is starting to field them. I think at this point Iraq has more pressing needs along with major armed force branch structuring and Iran knows this.

Welburn75

My thoughts are that foreign lands(of any caliber in alliance) should be sold lower quality equipment to the one you yourself poses, therefore if in the future you have to take action you have an advantage -- this should be taken more then with a pinch of salt in such a volatile region

LondoBell

M1?

personnally I think this is a bad idea, seeing as how the Iraqi army isn't exactly fighting the war as well as we had hoped. I think they have already abandoned quite a few M1s to the Islamic state.
In my opinion we should also fight ISIS (I mean with ground troops, not just air strikes)

I strongly suspect that the entire purpose for the post, was that last little off the cuff remark. Your contribution to this forum is welcome, but flame bait and trolling are against the rules. And necroposting in a dead thread, without new material or reasons, is suspect to begin with. Consider yourself warned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
LondoBell I urge you to reconsider your approach to posting here. This is a place for serious discussions, not political nonsense, trolling, or flamebait.

Haavarla

Do these M1A1 comes with a APU that can supply all the major systems, while the turbine engine is off-line?

If so, i see this as a important feature and a most welcome one, it would reduce the fuel consumption drasticly.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
That was included with the TUSK upgrade program I think so if these tanks have been through that or were manufactured to that standard, they'll have the APU.

FormerDirtDart

Umm, apologize for noobiness, but what is flamebait?
1) Flame bait is a message posted to a public Internet discussion group, such as a forum, newsgroup or mailing list, with the intent of provoking an angry response (a "flame") or argument over a topic the "troll" (original poster provoking angry response) often has no real interest in, and finds humour, or entertainment in reactions.

2) Flame bait can be a person unfamiliar with a certain discussion/topic on an internet discussion group, possibly saying things that would provoke an angry, teasing, or overall negative response.