14 Squadron RNZAF on HMS Glory

At lakes

Another couple of photos from my late Fathers collection. Shows HMS Glory alongside in Auckland in 1946 loading F4U4 Corsairs of 14 Squadron bound for Japan and Occupation Forces duty. 2nd shot shows her underway and 14 Squadron at the rear of the flight deck and the third shows the hanger with mark one air-conditioning {no roof} in Japan. Photos not practically good quality but the last one show the rather austere conditions ground crew worked under.

Attachments

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
And when 14 Sqn RTNZ, the aircraft were burned in situ in Japan on NZG orders. What a bloody waste.

At lakes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And when 14 Sqn RTNZ, the aircraft were burned in situ in Japan on NZG orders. What a bloody waste.
I have several photos of that act of destroying those aircraft. Eight or Nine serviceable and a number of hulks that were used for spares etc. they lost a couple due to accidents. I asked Dad at the time he said the cost of bringing them back for them to be scraped here was too much and there was no suitable shipping available within a realistic cost. So the tight as fish's arse syndrome with defence was about even then. They sent everyone back by Dakota which you could imagine was a boring bone shaking flight taking several days.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I have several photos of that act of destroying those aircraft. Eight or Nine serviceable and a number of hulks that were used for spares etc. they lost a couple due to accidents. I asked Dad at the time he said the cost of bringing them back for them to be scraped here was too much and there was no suitable shipping available within a realistic cost. So the tight as fish's arse syndrome with defence was about even then. They sent everyone back by Dakota which you could imagine was a boring bone shaking flight taking several days.
Yep and that tightness resulted in the various mutinies across the three services that occurred in the 1946 / 47 period.