11 Gurkha Rifles in training

mcgregoruk

Mr. Mcgregor, You were in the Indian army u say, where were u posted, not that i am from that era but just curious to know.

[Mod edit: Red aRRow: Corrective edit.]
Bangalore, Dehra Dun and finaly to Wana in Waziristan; known in the old days as the North West Frontier: funnily enough we were fighting over the same area as they are now looking for OBL. Freezing in the Winter and baking in the Summer.

I live in the UK.

mcgregoruk

srirangan

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dehra Dun would've been a beauty back then I suppose. Now its just too commercialized. Yep and its still called NWFP.

adsH

yeah the brits never could control the damn region of wana, waziristan(compartmentalized as NWFP), the damn people are too hard headed, you need to be a pat'han to fight one, and thats what Pak army is doing its using its stationed Provincial para troops to fight the Sub section of the agency. all the rest of the tribes are behind pak army but this damn tribe of 30000 militia men are too damn independent. id' imagine them fighting about territorial rights rather then OBL. to fight the tribe you have to be very political and you have to win the support of its neighboring tribe which is most likely blood thirsty for the other anyway. its like using the enemy of the enemy to do the job, but you have to be closely allied to the tribe to actually get some work done.

srirangan

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The people of that region don't recognize the durrand line. This could become a huge worry for Afghanistan and Pakistan is the coming years.

adsH

i think thats one of the problems the tribe thinks its in the noman's land a state of its own, while its clearly Pak territory, it will have to comply one way or the other, trust me Sri Patahan in the wild are not a pleasant site they are dangerous people.

mcgregoruk

adsH said:
yeah the brits never could control the damn region of wana, waziristan(compartmentalized as NWFP), the damn people are too hard headed, you need to be a pat'han to fight one, and thats what Pak army is doing its using its stationed Provincial para troops to fight the Sub section of the agency. all the rest of the tribes are behind pak army but this damn tribe of 30000 militia men are too damn independent. id' imagine them fighting about territorial rights rather then OBL. to fight the tribe you have to be very political and you have to win the support of its neighboring tribe which is most likely blood thirsty for the other anyway. its like using the enemy of the enemy to do the job, but you have to be closely allied to the tribe to actually get some work done.
If I remember correctly the local tribe were the Mahsuds.

We had a few cassadhars from them; no dobt we had to pay them an extraordinary amout of rupees to bribe them over to our side. Never did trust them though. My Gs were very sceptical.

mcgregoruk

mcgregoruk

adsH said:
i think thats one of the problems the tribe thinks its in the noman's land a state of its own, while its clearly Pak territory, it will have to comply one way or the other, trust me Sri Patahan in the wild are not a pleasant site they are dangerous people.
Remember Kipling? "When you are lying wounded in Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up your remains
Roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
And go to your God like a soldier."

When the Russians were in the hills there they were still skinned alive I am told. A dangerous people, as you said.

mcgregoruk