052C vs Kidd

zoolander

tomahawks should not be even mentioned because the USA is allowed to sell it due to mtcr.

the 52c has very weak anti sub abilities but the taiwanese navy has a very weak submarine force.

the 52c howeveer is not battle proven

contedicavour

zoolander said:
tomahawks should not be even mentioned because the USA is allowed to sell it due to mtcr.

the 52c has very weak anti sub abilities but the taiwanese navy has a very weak submarine force.

the 52c howeveer is not battle proven
I thought mtcr did not apply if we're just talking of conventional-warhead Tomahawks. Besides, if it ever came to a war scenario and the US wanted to limit its deployments, it would hardly hesitate to help by equipping the Kidds with whatever's needed to enhance defence capability (SM-2 IV and Tomahawks for example). However I'm just speculating of course.

cheers

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Mtcr?

contedicavour said:
I thought mtcr did not apply if we're just talking of conventional-warhead Tomahawks. Besides, if it ever came to a war scenario and the US wanted to limit its deployments, it would hardly hesitate to help by equipping the Kidds with whatever's needed to enhance defence capability (SM-2 IV and Tomahawks for example). However I'm just speculating of course.

cheers
To catch me up the MTCR is.... obviously a CM treaty but.... scratch that found it myself for those who care www.mtcr.info
Additionally the Kidds dont have Mk41s, which means that the can't fire Tac Toms, right? Now unless there is a glut of Tomohawks which I find unlikely as well the US has had several oportunities to use its stocks. And would the SM-2 IVs be compatible with the Mk 26's? AFAIK upgrades of for that would take massive software upgrades, and I would think necessary upgrades of Radars etc.

contedicavour

robsta83 said:
To catch me up the MTCR is.... obviously a CM treaty but.... scratch that found it myself for those who care www.mtcr.info
Additionally the Kidds dont have Mk41s, which means that the can't fire Tac Toms, right? Now unless there is a glut of Tomohawks which I find unlikely as well the US has had several oportunities to use its stocks. And would the SM-2 IVs be compatible with the Mk 26's? AFAIK upgrades of for that would take massive software upgrades, and I would think necessary upgrades of Radars etc.
Actually for the Tomahawks I had in mind the type of installation the Iowa battleships had in the 80s (special tubes installed on deck, a bit like the Harpoons).
Regarding the SM-2 III and IV, my understanding (but I may be wrong) is that the 2 missiles are broadly similar, though the IV is longer for longer range. Mk26 should thus be able to launch both types of SM-2 though I agree absence of AEGIS restricts performance.
Thanks for the link to MTCR, I didn't know it concerned missiles with ranges > 300km, whatever the warhead.

cheers

big toothbrush

HQ-9 is actively guided in terminal phase, thus how many targets 052C can engage is not limited by the number of illuminators. this is an advantage to the semi-actively guided SM-2 series.

another thing is over-horizon targets engagement. except SM-2IIIB has an extra infrared seeker which offers very limited capability of over-horizon engagement, generally SM-2 series can't shoot down targets which are below horizon even if there is support from AWACS. only americans have E-2D, which has an illuminator to track SM-2. so this is another advantage HQ-9 to SM-2 series.

if kidd class to be upgraded and use SM-6 in the future, this gap will disappear. however, phase array radar carried by 052C is still superior than kidd's mechanical scanning radar.

chinawhite

sunjerem said:
According to sinodefence, 052C's ZJK-4 command and control is a copy of TAVITAC 2000.
It never said that, it said
""Most Chinese warships use the command and control system derived from the French Thomson-CSF TAVITAC, but the Type 052C might have a newly developed system with improved processing power to engage anti-ship missile threats."""

Which means it might have a system which was originally developed based on the TAVITAC but was actually hinting on a new system paired with AESA

Derived defined by dictionary.com
""To trace the origin or development of"""

So saying it was a copy is inaccurate or saying it was in a chinese ship is also baseless since the source you were using, and claimed to have said also does not say that

But, then again, nothing about Chinese military equipment is EVER confirmed.
I'll have to disagree again because its 100% incorrect

Norinco hands out sale brochures and specs on equipment it sells at arm sales, these arms sales are sanctioned by the government, hence makes then confirmed.

What your saying is that equipment in development stages cant be confirmed,

difference/?

Last edited: