Iran building a mock-up carrier

Lostfleet

I just read the article below where allegedly Iran is building a mock-up carrier. The reason they are saying it is not a functional aircraft carrier is due to speed of the construction and general analysis of the vessel itself from satellite photos ( Unfortunately I lost the link for that info )

There are few theories why a vessel as such is built, such as being a target for a military exercise or a prop for a propoganda movie and etc however I just wanted to ask a few questions about the vessel itself.

Although it looks like a US Nimitz Carrier, I tried to measure the size of the vessel with comparing the size of the dock in google earth and I think it is approximately 200 meters by 35 meter. ( can't estimate the height from the satellite picture) . So it is much smaller than a real carrier but it is still a big vessel.

What would be the cost of building such a vessel if we assume it is basically a big barge ?

How feasible would it be to use at military exercises? Especially if it is used as for anti-ship missile or torpedo targets ?

Why is Iran building giant mock-up of U.S. aircraft carrier? – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

kev 99

No alleged about it, they Are building a mock up carrier, there are a number of photographs available online confirming it.

I can't really think of a reason to build one except use as target practice in exercises/as part of a propaganda video.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
No alleged about it, they Are building a mock up carrier, there are a number of photographs available online confirming it.

I can't really think of a reason to build one except use as target practice in exercises/as part of a propaganda video.
Oh dear I cant wait for it to come out on you tube, can you imaging all the anti US fan bois?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's supposedly being built for a new movie shoot. Though I'm not sure. Seems a little excessive.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it's a military target then it's just to give the propaganda chaps something to say "this missile can sink a US carrier, and we have sunk one with it".

One of the best answers i've read is that it's an operational carrier to have their operational 5th gen fighters fly off, y'know, the one where the plane was so small the pilot looked like an adult sitting in a childs toy.

All tongue in cheek of course, it made me laugh.

King Wally

I'd like to be the first here to predict a filming of Top Gun 2.... complete with Iranian Tomcats and a very bad Tom Cruise look alike!

kev 99

It's supposedly being built for a new movie shoot. Though I'm not sure. Seems a little excessive.
Well it wouldn't be the first time something like this had happened, when Tora, Tora, Tora was filmed a lifesize replica of the battleship Negato was built for the filming of several scenes.

Lostfleet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EXSSBN2005

ok the slow internet here makes scrolling around in google maps very slow, anyone got a link to where they are building this I cant seem to find it, going to blame my slow connection vice lack of googleing skills or maybe they came up with a stealth carrier / shipyard.
:lam

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
ok the slow internet here makes scrolling around in google maps very slow, anyone got a link to where they are building this I cant seem to find it, going to blame my slow connection vice lack of googleing skills or maybe they came up with a stealth carrier / shipyard.
Юрий ЛÑмин - О ÑтроÑщемÑÑ Ð² Иране макете америанÑкого авианоÑца

My2Cents

Found a reference in another board, checked it out and the surroundings seems right, but the satellite image is 7 months old and there is nothing there -- yet.
27° 3'16"N
55°58'23"E​
I understand that much the information on this is from official US intelligence sources, mostly to prove that they haven’t missed it before Iran comes out and announces they built it to the world.

EXSSBN2005

Thank you, I was looking at old imagery so I was looking at the right place its just it wasn't there yet, sure news media owned by google, post a story and then when people want to go looking for it show them an old picture of the shipyard. :tomato

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
They probably filmed the barges destruction and we will see the footage appearing from now on as, " Hezbollah sinks Zionist battleship", ISIL drives off Crusader fleet", or "Iran rules the waves".

kev 99

They probably filmed the barges destruction and we will see the footage appearing from now on as, " Hezbollah sinks Zionist battleship", ISIL drives off Crusader fleet", or "Iran rules the waves".
They did indeed and it's rubbish, they didn't make a very convincing job of blowing it up.