Pakistan test its first cruise missile "BABUR"

super7fc1

RAWALPINDI: Pakistan successfully test fired cruise missile ‘Babar’ on Thursday morning.

Pakistan army spokesman Major General Shaukat Sultan has confirmed that Pakistan successfully test fired ground launched cruise missile ‘Babar’.

While talking to Geo TV, Shaukat Sultan said that missile is capable of carrying all kinds of nuclear and conventional warheads with a range of 500km. It could not be detected by radar due to sophisticated system. The launch validated all parameters.

Mr. Shaukat said that Pakistan is the first ever country of the region who carried out cruise missile test and now Pakistan has joined the club of countries producing cruise missile. President Pervaiz Musharraf and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz have congratulated the scientists on successful test.

http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_002918.php

Last edited by a moderator:

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
Re: Pakistan test its first cruise missile "BABAR"

When I woke up in the morning and i switched on the TV to listen the news i heard that Pakistan test fired a cruise missile i was really shoked but laterly this news was confirmed by the Paksitan Army spokesman he said that this missile can also be launched from the ship,submarines and from the air.These missile when targeted from the boarders they can do well.They can repel Indian army to 500KM :D
super7fc1 this news must be in the WDM's and missiles

pshamim

Verified Defense Pro

I do not know where China comes into the discussion. Whether China helped or it was a Pakistani effort, fact remains that Pakistan and India both have a cruise missile now.

Many do not really have a perception of the dangers these systems pose to people. These systems now are part of the inventories of belligerents. It does not make an iota of difference or lessen the dangers irrespective of who manufactured or who helped develope them. Stop coming up with conspiracy theories and belittling each others and keep working towards the peace and solving the outstanding problems between India and Pakistan. That will lessen the dangers from these systems to the populace of two countries namely India and Pakistan

Last edited:

ashblackhawk

Banned Member

kashifshahzad said:
When I woke up in the morning and i switched on the TV to listen the news i heard that Pakistan test fired a cruise missile i was really shoked but laterly this news was confirmed by the Paksitan Army spokesman he said that this missile can also be launched from the ship,submarines and from the air.These missile when targeted from the boarders they can do well.They can repel Indian army to 500KM :D
super7fc1 this news must be in the WDM's and missiles
Irrespective of country i belong to, i would like to congratulate the people of your country for technological achievement. Regarding the comparision of Babur with Brahmos !! I dont really see any competition. Babur is not a supersonic cruise missile, nor it has detailed about the accuracy of hitting the target, --> Brahmos is now modified to go on Mach 8 !! Proven accuracy of Brahmos is hitting a Goal post from 300 kms. On the comparision of it with US missiles, I cannot find any comparision, because the Tomahawk have range of 1600 kms, which is 3 times more than Babur !! Remember an independent researcher from NewZealand developed the cruise missile but it is not proven how accurate it was.
Thanks.:coffee

pshamim

Verified Defense Pro

ashblackhawk said:
Irrespective of country i belong to, i would like to congratulate the people of your country for technological achievement. Regarding the comparision of Babur with Brahmos !! I dont really see any competition. Babur is not a supersonic cruise missile, nor it has detailed about the accuracy of hitting the target, -->
Thanks.:coffee
It does not really matter if Babar is X times slower than Brahmos. Truth of tha matter is that neither Pakistan nor India have any defence against ground-hugging cruise missiles. Both of them can be devastating. Brahmos may be faster but it cannot carry nuclear missile. Babar can carry nuclear weapons but it is not as fast as Brahmos. So what does that prove. Babar does take away the advantage from the Indians and forces them to rethink the strategy.

I feel that Babar, if successful, creates the MAD Doctrine. May be it is a good news that it will prevent a horrible war between the two.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer

Wow, Excellent news for Pakistan. This will give an immense boost to Pakistan's striking power against any foe. The nuclear warhead is just the icing on the cake. What I was wondering was will Pakistan be relying on GPS (or Galileo in the future) for guidance or is it possible to design the guidance around latest satellite imagery for example??

interseptor

congrets to you pakistanis well not allot of nations can self design and produce a cruise missile.:p:

now that you have tested the missile you have really given the indians a hard time to think that they had to produce a cruise missle jointly with russia in fact it is a russian cruise missile.

well this test has stabized the unbalence in asia.
;)

highsea

A couple observations.

ashblackhawk- wrt your mach 8 Brahmos. Rubbish. This has been covered before, please stop posting bullshit.

wrt "nuclear capable"- neither India or Pakistan has demonstrated that they have miniaturized a nuclear weapon to the point where it can be carried on ANY missile, let alone a small cruise missile like the Babur. There are huge differences between test devices, bombs, and warheads. Neither country has done any of the testing that would indicate that they are anywhere close to a missile deployable nuclear warhead.

Having said that, congratulations to Pakistan- it's a good accomplishment. It would be nice to have more details. It's possible that this ia a Pakistani version of the HN-1.

Last edited:

srirangan

Banned Member
Interesting observation Highsea. HN-1 has a 320 mile range. Babur's claimed 500 km is pretty close to that number.

The range isn't the worry though, but I find the ground hugging claims to be a bit far fetched. When did Pakistan become capable of reading and analyzing terrains, let alone apply this technology?

Now I'm not making any claims, just asking questions. Does anyone have the answers regarding this?

highsea

ashblackhawk said:
Goto http://www.brahmos.com/news_right.html# click on cruise control article of 2nd may,2005. Brahmos-2 is new version and will be a modified version to fly at mach-8. Its posted in Company website, its not my logic anyway.
Cheers

:coffee
Your statement:

"Brahmos is now modified to go on Mach 8 !!"

Their statement:

"Meanwhile, BAPL is contemplating a BrahMos-2, capable of flying up to Mach 8, to ensure its supersonic product retains its speed lead well into the future."

Maybe you have trouble understanding english, I don't know. But this IS NOT a Brahmos thread, so your comments are OFF TOPIC. You are displaying your ignorance of Ramjet technology here, and it's very annoying. READ the Brahmos thread. There is plenty of discussion there, including why Ramjets cannot operate at mach 8. That requires Scramjets, which India has not developed yet- they are in the very early stages of that technology.

Any further discussion on Brahmos in this thread will be deleted without warning.

highsea

srirangan said:
Interesting observation Highsea. HN-1 has a 320 mile range. Babur's claimed 500 km is pretty close to that number.

The range isn't the worry though, but I find the ground hugging claims to be a bit far fetched. When did Pakistan become capable of reading and analyzing terrains, let alone apply this technology?

Now I'm not making any claims, just asking questions. Does anyone have the answers regarding this?

Anyhow I'm uploading some of the pics that I find regarding the Babur test.
Lol, Red Arrow already posted those Pics, Sri. Anyway, the range and size are similar to the HN-1, possibly detuned to meet MTCR guidelines (Same thing Russia did with the Yahkont/Brahmos).

Wrt TERCOM, the HN-1 had this, so that could be the source of the tech. It's not that revolutionary, but it needs to be coupled with GPS to be really accurate. China acquired a lot of US aerospace tech in the 80's and 90's.

adsH

First Off YOu cannot Subsitute GPS signals for Telemantic imagery Satellites, Telmantic Sats and Imagery cann be used to improve the gound mapping and following capabilities (which i think works with Inertial Nav systems and periodic GPS updates to fix Drifts), i don't see that as a problem since French have been incorporating those Attributes in the Mirage 3 Upgrades. Besides the Ground Mapping capability comes from the SAR Imagery, which is freely available to International orginisations from Comercial Sats. So it was just a matter of time before this capability was realised.

VICTORA1

Hello,

We should acknowledge and thank our friends who, in their indiscreet manner gave us the hard copy of the cruise missile, lock stock and barrel. Long live the U S of A. We love you and thanks again one more time. Bill Clinton---Zindabad.

srirangan

Banned Member
Well since Pakistan has claimed the range to be 500 kms (310.685596 miles) and ..

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/china/lacm.htm said:
The first operational long range Chinese cruise missile, the Hong Niao ("Red Bird") may have entered service as early 1992. The HN-1 was reportedly tested in mid-1999 to a range of 600km. The Hong Niao reportedly derived from the Russian KH-65SE/SD, a short-range version of the Russian Kh-55 [AS-15 KENT] 3,000-kilometer-range strategic cruise missile.
Pretty obvious that the MTCR guidelines weren't implemented. That restricts the range to be below 300 kms. Now .. lol .. the HN-1's themselves were derivatives of the Soviet KA 55's .. (refer to attachment), not really very similar are they?

Another theory floating around could be that the Babur was absed on the Clinton Tomahawks from 1998. They were earlier thought to be sent to Beijing, or now atleast that speculation will die. ;)

Last edited:

srirangan

Banned Member
Besides the Ground Mapping capability comes from the SAR Imagery, which is freely available to International orginisations from Comercial Sats.
And the missile is supposed to access the info from civilian sats and analyze the ahead of it in real time? Very unlikely. Wouldn't you need a committed Guidence System rather than Commecial Satelites? That's assuming even if these satelites let cruise missile systems access their info.

srirangan

Banned Member
Victora1,
Were you refering to the 1998 Afghanistan recovers? Or that Clinton allowed sensitive technology to reach the Chinese?[Mod edit:Red aRRow:No racial slurs will be tolerated] Either way, thank Clinton! :D