• YES

Votes: 61 98.4%
  • NO

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaaditya

i prefer chess,but dont know anything of chinese checkers,but the best strategy game according to me in any medium is the age of empires it is all comprehensive and very realisting(in terms of the challenges posed).

Ender89

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For me I prefer small sqaud based games such as halo and tom clanceys ghost recon 2, I do like chess and stratego but the only strategy based game I think is a waste of time is battlship, its only advantage deals with space and number of hits it takes to sink a single plastic ship that can't move.

aaaditya

Ender89 said:
For me I prefer small sqaud based games such as halo and tom clanceys ghost recon 2, I do like chess and stratego but the only strategy based game I think is a waste of time is battlship, its only advantage deals with space and number of hits it takes to sink a single plastic ship that can't move.
i agree with you regarding the battleship,though i never heard of stratego9is it a board game or a computer one)
i have aleard about of tom clancy's ssn(us nuclear submarine taking out chinese navy in the south china sea,seems to be pretty realistic)though i cant get hold of it.

Ender89

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stratego is a classic capture the flag board game that deals with ranks and bombs take a look at it on the web.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
I love war strategy games. It all started from AoE and have played it and all of its version for very long time. Then came the Empire Earth, which I've played a lot as well but after that didn't buy anything else yet.

I don't know why but they always change the game when going to the next version. I hate that.

aaaditya

WebMaster said:
I love war strategy games. It all started from AoE and have played it and all of its version for very long time. Then came the Empire Earth, which I've played a lot as well but after that didn't buy anything else yet.

I don't know why but they always change the game when going to the next version. I hate that.
how does empire earth differ from age of empires?i have air offensive as well as paintball(in this game you have to shoot paint on your enemies,requires a lot of tactics and teamwork).
air offensive is basically about aircombat where you have to take out air and ground targets in progressively challenging levels.

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
aaaditya said:
how does empire earth differ from age of empires?i have air offensive as well as paintball(in this game you have to shoot paint on your enemies,requires a lot of tactics and teamwork).
air offensive is basically about aircombat where you have to take out air and ground targets in progressively challenging levels.
I love Microsoft's Close Combat games as well as AoE tpye games the first real game I played was Command and Conquer Red Alert.

Defcon 6

My fav. strategy games are:

1.) Command and Conquer: Generals
2.) Battlefield 1942
3.) Battlefield 2
4.) Panzer General
5.) Super Conflict
6.) Age of Empires III
7.) Rise of Nations

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
My Favourite strategic games are:
Stronghold
Stronghold Crusaders
Age of Empires all versions ( This is the game from which i started from then i like only strategic games)
Empror ( The rise of middle kingdom)
Empire Earth
and to some extent Settlers 4

haalday1

I think command and conquer red alert pretty good game but the game i like most is The Operational Art Of War.Its like a real war u have to command ur units like in actual battlefield.

Snayke

I prefer squad type FPS games because I like the realism in them such as the Tom Clancy games. I guess it lets you pretend to be a soldier for a while. =P

dioditto

I think the best strategy game I have played so far, is Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour. After C&C Generals coming out for more than 3 years now I think most community still finds new strategy in that game. A good strategy game is one where everyone slowly find each side is better, until it comes full circle. General provided that, initially, everyone think US side is the best simply because everyone only started playing it in single player mode the most, then after a year, ppl starting finding China the best side to play because of it's slow but highly armoured approach, with nukes coming into mix. The third transition for C&C community, when everyone realise GLA is the most versatile army ever, then 4th transition comes when everyone realise, the US is the strongest because of the explosive mix of spamming ranger + Chinooks (and then using airforce gen ofcourse), LOL...
But all in all C&C General Zero Hour has the best THREE totally unique sides, with totally unique strategy that fits each side. (The only game that strikes such balance is probably Starcraft)

As for board game, I used to play chess, but recently I switched to Go. I think chess is quite limited compare to Go. Chess is more like just a tactical game, while Go is a true strategy game.

mysterious

Best games in my view to play:

AoE Series
Commandos Series
Total War Series (Specially Medieval Total War)
Caesar Series (Caesar IV coming fall 2006)
C-in-C Red Alert, Tiberiun Sun, Generals

jlb

Most computer games are but toys and certainly don't deserve the name "wargame".

And I'm extremely wary of any wargame with a contemporary topic. There's simply too much the designer can't know, because it's classified. It's not simply weapons data, it's also the way those systems interact, how, and how well doctrines integrate them, how well does the structure of the force that's supposed to apply that doctrine fits it, etc...

Of the commercial systems I've played, the ones that stand out are GDW-GR/D's larger Europa games - Fire in the East/Scorched Earth, Second Front and Fall of France, which are pretty good at simulating theater-level WWII operations, The Gamers' Operational Combat Series, which is outstanding at simulating army/army group-level operations, and Mark Simonitch's The Legend Begins, the most elegantly accurate North Africa game I've ever seen.

Computer wargames are too weapons-oriented. Weapons are important, of course, but they're just the tools for your doctrine. They're only really relevant for tactical simulations. At the operational level and above, how you use them is much, much more important than which side has the best tanks, ships or planes.

Status
Not open for further replies.