Hitler's Secret Indian army

ajay_ijn

I found an interesting article in BBC about a group of Indian POW's who fought for germany during the last days of WW2.

Hitler's secret Indian army
In the closing stages of World War II, as Allied and French resistance forces were driving Hitler's now demoralised forces from France, three senior German officers defected.

Legionnaires were recruited from German POW camps
The information they gave British intelligence was considered so sensitive that in 1945 it was locked away, not due to be released until the year 2021.

Now, 17 years early, the BBC's Document programme has been given special access to this secret file.

It reveals how thousands of Indian soldiers who had joined Britain in the fight against fascism swapped their oaths to the British king for others to Adolf Hitler - an astonishing tale of loyalty, despair and betrayal that threatened to rock British rule in India, known as the Raj.

The story the German officers told their interrogators began in Berlin on 3 April 1941. This was the date that the left-wing Indian revolutionary leader, Subhas Chandra Bose, arrived in the German capital.
For complete article go to
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3684288.stm

Till i know Subhas Chandra Bose went to germany and asked hitler for help but Hitler rejected his proposal ,Then he went to Japan.

But the article says that becoz of german defeat at stalingrad,Subhash Chandra bose turned back and went to Japan.
I don't think Japan was in a good Position in the end of 1942.
They were already Worried by the defeat at Midway and guadalcanal and Japan was in no position to Launch new offensive against British(in India).
Then Why did Subhash went to Japan?
Only one reason,they had many Indian POW's in singapore.

My assumption was if Japan did not attack Midway and Seriously considered Offensive against birtish in India during Japanese Naval Offensive in Indian Ocean(1941) then India could have been Sucessfully Liberated by Japan.

mysterious

A thread on this topic already exists if I remember correctly. Please search a bit here on DT before opening new threads on already discussed issues. :smokingc:

[Mod edit: Well please find it for us.]

srirangan

Banned Member
Germany and Japan would help Bose, but would never liberate India. Britain for all her ill's and divide and rule tactics; she has atleast left us with strong institutions that we can rely on.

Yes, the British partition and withdrawal was shabby and horrific considering the way they divided man on communal line; but I would still pick Britain instead of Germany or Japan. Britain and Germany had a lot in common, so Germany would still be better off for India but never Japan.

syeduzair

srirangan said:
Germany and Japan would help Bose, but would never liberate India. Britain for all her ill's and divide and rule tactics; she has atleast left us with strong institutions that we can rely on.

Yes, the British partition and withdrawal was shabby and horrific considering the way they divided man on communal line; but I would still pick Britain instead of Germany or Japan. Britain and Germany had a lot in common, so Germany would still be better off for India but never Japan.

It was't Birtishers who divided Subcontinent, it was the people of subcontinent who chosed division for them selves.

ajay_ijn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was't Birtishers who divided Subcontinent, it was the people of subcontinent who chosed division for them selves.
But it was they who instigated the fights between the two Religions which finally resulted in partition.
I don't exactly how they did it but i heard they divide and ruled Bengal into West and East(Bangladesh) which was protested due to some reason.

mysterious

I'm sure your point of 'they' instigating fights between the two major religions in the subcontinent can be argued significantly. Ever heard of the "two-nation" theory? Lets just say people realized that an independant country was 'needed' to give Muslims their due freedom in its utmost forms.

ajay_ijn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm sure your point of 'they' instigating fights between the two major religions in the subcontinent can be argued significantly. Ever heard of the "two-nation" theory? Lets just say people realized that an independant country was 'needed' to give Muslims their due freedom in its utmost forms.
The two religions did not had any fight between them from 1000 years except wars for military expansion then why only when british were ruling.

When Mughals,Marathas,Sultans etc many other Dynasties Ruled India having people of both the religion,there might be some differences but they were not serious.
I think it began in 1920's and became a big issue in 1940's.
I think British plan was they could weaken the freedom struggle if they instigated fight between two religions.
Everyone knows even during the British Invasion of India,how they instigated fights between two kingdoms for the sake of their advantage.

mysterious

ajay_ijn said:
The two religions did not had any fight between them from 1000 years...
They didn't? I'd say you might want to read up some history. There was always friction. British came and did nothing significant to contribute to it. Infact, people of both the religions united to fight and ward off the British but they knew amongst themselves that it was only temporary and that it was impossible for them to go down the road together.

srirangan

Banned Member
You people are very naive. Divide and Rule was the method of British conquest for 300 years. Don't study Indian or Pakistani history, just follow the rise and fall of the British Empire, it always has ended with a divided state and ethnic/religious conflicts. Is it a conincidence that all of Great Britains colonies have internal problems today?

If you'ld realize it, same is hapenning with Iraq today.

mysterious

I'm not denying that British policy was divide and rule; and that most of its colonies do have problems today but I was just talking of subcontinent in its own perspective. Tensions over there date back to the time of Bin Qasim and British only fueled what had been building up for centuries. Hindus never accepted Muslim rule happily over themselves and then, once the British left, the Muslims wouldn't be accepting that either as backlash was certain. Anywayz, I think we're all a bit off-topic here. I rest my case before the Admin steps in.

srirangan

Banned Member
Tensions over there date back to the time of Bin Qasim and British only fueled what had been building up for centuries.
Differences aren't always conflict myst. Islam came to India in 700AD; and forever since there were Hindu Kingdoms and Muslim Kingdoms.

Hindu's had conflicts with other hindu kingdoms and other muslim kingdoms; Muslim had conflicts with other muslim kingdoms and other hindu kingdoms. While conflict was there, it was never a Hindu Vs Muslim conflict. Everybody fought everybody for regional interest.

Brits stepped in and took great advantage, and did a shabby job when they left. Ponder over this: the Muslim League and the Indian National Congress both owe their creation to the British.

syeduzair

Right now I see, India on one side and other side Pakistan and Bangladesh, this is what the composition of subcontinent, there are no more birtishers, what it means, these are old issues which these countries are still trying to settle down.

srirangan

Banned Member
You are again dividing on communal lines. The sub continent is divided, there's no unity. Nobody is on nobody's side. Everybody has their own agenda.

India govt has put some efforts but should do more to integrate the entire Subcontinent, and I mean economically not politically. SAFTA must be achieved.

mysterious

srirangan said:
Brits stepped in and took great advantage, and did a shabby job when they left. Ponder over this: the Muslim League and the Indian National Congress both owe their creation to the British.
I think I already hinted that, that is true.