Armidale class patrol boat - 3D model

octopus7

g'day everyone I have started modeling one of the Australian navies new Armidale class patrol boats. Luckily I have so far had a lot of help from a crewman serving aboard these fine boats.
Progress so far:

I will update every couple of days until the boat is finished. After that I will start modeling one of the new Air Warfare Destroyers our navy will be receiving in the future.

Last edited:

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
g'day everyone I have started modeling one of the Australian navies new Armidale class patrol boats. Luckily I have so far had a lot of help from a crewman serving aboard these fine boats.
Progress so far:

I will update every couple of days until the boat is finished. After that I will start modeling one of the new Air Warfare Destroyers our navy will be receiving in the future.
Good stuff Octopus. I look forward to your progress with both the Armidale model and the AWD.

Cheers

Tas

octopus7

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The model is coming along nicely and thanks for having a look Tasman! The crew man from the Armidale boat (I won't name him for privacies sake) has helped me tonnes with this even going as far as providing a hull and basic superstructure from his model he made for Virtual Sailor (PC game). I spent the rest of the arvo placing the pieces I have built onto his hull, results so far are pretty good.

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Drop me an email at X and I'll return email a heap of hi-res internal pictures of both HMAS Armidale and SNS Alvaro de Bazan.

OK this thing won't let me post my email address here. GF? Any help?

octopus7

AGRA : cheers mate that would be appreciated, you might have to send me a PM so I can send you my email address.

Simon9 : I'm using 3D studio MAX with V-ray 1.5 renderer and so far I have spent about 20 hours on this project.

Anyway an update as I have now completed the funnel / mast and will now move forwards to the bridge area to do the sensors and radar that top the wheel house.

BTW thanks for looking:)

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Octo they won't let me send you a PM because you may not have it activated?

PS there are two benches (like seats from a park) forrad of the RHIB davits on the Armidale.

A

Aussie Digger

Octo they won't let me send you a PM because you may not have it activated?

PS there are two benches (like seats from a park) forrad of the RHIB davits on the Armidale.
He needs a minimum of 50 posts before his PM system will become functional. It will become so automatically once you reach 50 posts Octopus.

Regards

AD

octopus7

AGRA: I will be adding the two benches just haven't got around to it yet as I still have to add the canvas awning and a few more minor details to the funnel area. I shouldn't be too far away from 50 posts!

octopus7

I have spent another 4 hours on the Armidale model. today I tackled the sensor array on the roof of the wheel house, Don't even ask me what that dish shaped sensor is for but, I know that the small gray dome at the front is the "TopLite" sensor / range-finder for the Rafael typhoon 25mm gun. Also added glass windows to the bridge. Thanks for looking;)

octopus7

The fore and after masts have been completely revised after I realized I had stuffed up the scale and other details of them. Here's a rough render of the boat in a basic enviroment. Will be concentrating on the main superstructure with lots of detail to come.

octopus7

Lobbie111: Thanks mate, you would have to ask AGRA about the pictures if you want any, just PM him.

Here's some more detail work on the superstructure, including .50cal HMG mounts (no guns yet!) life rafts, life preservers, lights, nav lamps and the ship's nameplate. Please note the name "Hammersley" is from the Aussie TV show Sea Patrol as I started this work on request from fans of the show. An Armidale boat will be used in season 2 of the series. Series 1 used one of the now de-commisioned Fremantle class boats.

octopus7

Here's some more progress on the ACPB. I have just finished modeling the 25mm Rafael Typhoon cannon. It's a shame the R.A.N doesn't use the multi-munitions mount for the Typhoon gun as then they could equip it with SAM's if the need arose.

octopus7

Here's a view of a 99% completed Armidale class patrol boat, I gave up trying to make convincing looking water and instead opted to make the boat look as if it's a scale model.