Survival skills.

SURB

I was always afraid of a condition been in a jungle somewhere at night and helpless when i was a child.The concept of survival skills is new to me ,but not so for the human race.If you are skillful enough and got caught in a disaster or are forced to live in difficult conditions by people or by circumstances ,you can help yourself and your family, and as well as act as a shelter for the needy.

Well being a medical student i have listened about First aid and the mental preparedness a lot.But this is just the tip of the ice berg.I'll like to know all about this good stuff.I am just a student and mostly will be a keen listener.Hope the fellow members will be kind enough to post some useful input in this regard.:)

I've got ample info about how to make fire from outrider.
And posting a video about water purification.That's easy for me because i have tried it a couple of times and was successful:D.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwQ16xz9hUA&feature=related"]Basic Wilderness Survival Skills : Wilderness Survival: Charcoal Water Purification System - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

outrider

Survival skills and techniques have always been one of my favorite subjects. It started in my childhood when my father taught me how to track, hunt, and cook in the wilderness, then continued through my youth especially in my first studies of paleolithic man, and then went into more advanced phases when I found myself alone on the streets. It is a very broad subject indeed...and while there is a lot of cross-over from wilderness to urban, with the basic needs remaining identical and the mind set being pretty much the same, there are major differences.

The basic needs in both instances are water, shelter, and food. The hierarchy of needs does change depending on the specifics of the situation but often they are as listed. Safe drinking water is almost always at the top of the list. A good metal boiling pot is worth it's weight in gold in a survival situation but there are other ways.

Can photos be posted on this forum? Does one use image codes or HTML codes to post them?

outrider

Sometimes survival is about the ability to see more in some things than typically meets the eye.
Water is a basic need, but safe water isn't always available. Ordinary items, like a common insulated coffee cup, can be of help in such times. Disassemble the cup into it's components and you have two vessels, one for filtering and one for boiling in to purify.

SURB

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was nice outrider,well i was thinking what if we keep a filter paper like the whatman no. 42 or some thing like that,a clean cloth is not always enough
especially if the quality is too bad.Plus the filter paper will easily accommodate in any pocket.

Last edited:

SURB

And what about making a shelter in the wilderness with out a tent.Is there any alternative?

outrider

That was nice outrider,well i was thinking what if we keep a filter paper like the whatman no. 42 or some thing like that,a clean cloth is not always enough i the quality is too bad.Plus the filter paper will easily accommodate in our pocket.
I don't care for most paper filters as they tend to be single use items and deteriorate quickly. For this method i was just showing one possible way to filter out heavy particles before boiling or treating. Neither this nor boiling will do anything for chemical problems... but the boiling will kill any biological problems.

And what about making a shelter in the wilderness with out a tent.Is there any alternative?
Several options, depending on tools, materials, and location. I'll try to post up some pics this weekend, I'm taking a couple of new knives out for testing anyway.

EXSSBN2005

There are many alternatives to camping out in the wilds w/o a tent, it just takes longer to build them. You can pick up wilderness survival stuff from military surplus stores, youth organizations (boyscouts fieldbook is better than the handbook), and lots of places online.

Depending on how you want to survive / camp, and what you bring with you determines the type of shelter. Got a tarp but no rope thats easy. Move 2 similar logs near eachother, put some poles across them and then put the tarp down, cover it with more branches as needed for thermal insulation, It will also work w/o the tarp but its not nearly as water resistant. Obviously this will not work in a desert climate but I would hope that a survival situation will not happen there unless you were prepaired for it. Being a student and having limited time, you might not have time for some tv but there are various tv shows that are about survival on basic cable (discovery chan, natl geo) everything in them might not be applicable but that would give you a visual representation of ideas you could use. Every climate will be different and more than likely you will not be all alone your first time in the area. Take your time be patient and learn as much as you can before your called on to use it.

SURB

I don't care for most paper filters as they tend to be single use items and deteriorate quickly. For this method i was just showing one possible way to filter out heavy particles before boiling or treating. Neither this nor boiling will do anything for chemical problems... but the boiling will kill any biological problems.

Several options, depending on tools, materials, and location. I'll try to post up some pics this weekend, I'm taking a couple of new knives out for testing anyway.
ok then do tell me about the new babies you are testing.....and how sharp they are?:cool:Hope you share the pics as well.:)

What's the most reliable knife type you ever used?

SURB

Here is something related to survival tools and techniques.

The video can be found in the link.
High tech survival tools | The Future Is Now - Yahoo! News

Reggie's training taught him how to make it out of the wilderness with nothing but the most primitive tools. But with the help of a little technology, we can increase our odds of survival in almost any situation. Modern water purifiers use advanced filtration methods to keep us hydrated. Cell phone and GPS technology can help us find our way, or help rescuers locate us more quickly than ever. Today's compact, efficient batteries and solar power units keep our gadgets charged, long after the power — and cell phone signal - has gone out.
From the very simple to the high tech tools.:cool:

a4skyhawk1

Survival or "Survivalist"?

There is one thing a survivor MUST HAVE in a survival situation - that's a SURVIVAL MINDSET/ATTITUDE.

EVERYTHING ELSE IS A BONUS.

A survivalist will tend to be over equipped and is therefore not usually in what I would call a true survival situation.

A good knife, a water container, some kind of weather protection (clothes and/or shelter) and a source of fire are pretty much the basics physically BUT your BRAIN and the knowledge/common sense is the main aid to survival.

Combat Survival is pretty much the same but you would usually be better equipped and prepared.

abullock22

id also recommend checking out a few tv shows to give you the basics - man vs wild, dual survivor, and theres a couple more - all depends on your location

SURB

There is one thing a survivor MUST HAVE in a survival situation - that's a SURVIVAL MINDSET/ATTITUDE.

EVERYTHING ELSE IS A BONUS.

A survivalist will tend to be over equipped and is therefore not usually in what I would call a true survival situation.

A good knife, a water container, some kind of weather protection (clothes and/or shelter) and a source of fire are pretty much the basics physically BUT your BRAIN and the knowledge/common sense is the main aid to survival.

Combat Survival is pretty much the same but you would usually be better equipped and prepared.

And just to create that mindset and attitude you mentioned, how about testing oneself in the wild with a controlled environment?
And by controlled environment i mean keeping a cell phone in pocket, just in case the test of time gets hard on you and you call someone close to be there for help.;)

Anyway with every exposure/visit you learn new things ,but with that controlled environment in mind you can negated the fear factor a bit and focus on learning new tricks during every trip out there.

So for the beginners i'll say ,never be so harsh with yourself especially during the early days.Keep the passion going.You'll learn a lot even if the game is rigged or there is some help on the way during difficult times.

SURB

The hand drilled method for making fire. It's a raw method i must say.

You can use a lens as well.If you are lucky enough to have it in the wild.An easier alternative.Also ice /balloon/condom can be transformed into fire creating lens.

Bow and drill is the most effective friction based method to make a fire.

Will continue on it later on....

Last edited: