Germany to Cut defense spending

Status
Not open for further replies.

10ringr

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Does anyone else besides me feel dismay over our NATO allies cutting defense spending during these critical times when 2 wars are going on, the rise of potential global super powers like China and India and the obvious threat from an increasingly militant N. Korea. Germany has announced they are going to "significantly" trim their defense budgets. My question is...... Germanys contribution to the security or NATO of which it has a huge stake is minimal at best. Their navy is almost as anemic as their air force and there conscripted soldiers now only serve for 6 months. Which anyone who knows the military realizes that being a soldier for six months is like saying you took an online cooking class and now you've become a four star chef. I'm personally disgusted and alarmed at the seeming disinterest of these allies. France too is trimming there defense budget. What this does is put the burden squarely on the back of the US, where it always ends up, and we spend our blood and treasure to once again bail them out militarily and financially. Look, it is the primary responsibility of a country to be able to protect and defend itself and it's people. It is high time for them to be weaned off the American teet which as they bash us (particularly Germany) they rely almost entirely on the US to bottle feed and diaper them. Wake up, pull your weight or get out. Thx! :mad:

riksavage

Banned Member
If you believe the press we are talking about getting ride of 10 Frigates, Tornado, reducing the attack helo order by 50% and reducing A400 buys.

Belt tightening across Europe means defence is an easy option for the general public to bare.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Ah, the usual Germany bashing, gotta love it. ;)

Belt tightening across Europe means defence is an easy option for the general public to bare.
Cutting the German defence budget is actually pretty unpopular with other European nations, mostly because it means they might have to spend more within a EU Common Defense context.

Does anyone else besides me feel dismay over our NATO allies cutting defense spending during these critical times when 2 wars are going on, the rise of potential global super powers like China and India and the obvious threat from an increasingly militant N. Korea.
China, India and North Korea are of no concern to NATO. They might be a concern to the USA, but that doesn't really matter to the rest of NATO. And NATO is only fighting one war right now. In which Germany contributes the third-largest contingent of soldiers, and will continue to do so despite 60-70% of the German population being against it.

Which anyone who knows the military realizes that being a soldier for six months is like saying you took an online cooking class and now you've become a four star chef.
You do realize that these conscripts have the same training as - actually slightly more than - a MOS 11B US Army rifleman serving in Iraq or Afghanistan?

In war you don't need four star chefs. You need guys who can peel the potatoes and cook em, to run with your metaphor.

we spend our blood and treasure to once again bail them out militarily and financially.
Give me a single instance in which the USA actually militarily or financially "bailed out Germany" in the past 62 years. Come on, i dare you. :rolleyes:

Locarnus

Give me a single instance in which the USA actually militarily or financially "bailed out Germany" in the past 62 years. Come on, i dare you. :rolleyes:

Volker Pispers (german cabaretist, translation from german) said a few years ago:

"We had to see the truth after 60 sad years.
Nobody wants to play war with us Germans if we don't start it."

@10ringr:
With the new realities 20 years after the end of the Cold war, please provide a credible real world threat for Germany, for which a military spending is required, which is higher than the given one.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's not going to provide any such thing, because he's perilously close to trolling.

10ringr, I don't want to hear another word from you in this thread. You've got a blue handle, and with that comes an expectation that you'll conduct yourself in a mature manner - as is quite clearly stated in the forum rules. Whatever your feelings on the topic, indulging in chest thumping and ridicule at the expense of another nation's military is unacceptable and frankly the sort of thing I'd expect from a teenager.

Take this as a warning, and reconsider the content and tone of your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.