South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
I hope this one does not get close like the other one I started before, please try to keep everything that's only related to the subject of discussions here to avoid nonsense response from other members...Please delete this thread if there are plans to re-open the original one, Thanks!

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Taiwan's news agency reported on tuesday that the nation plans to start a solar power project on it's main Spratly claimed island which is the largest one on the entire chain of group of islands and reefs, officials arrived on tuesday aboard a 2,000 ton CGA vessel to attend the grounbreaking ceremony on Taiping island...

Sandhi Yudha

Thanks for sharing.
A small country or a country which is economically dependend from China will pull back now, but India isn't both of them....

colay

New Delhi has recently rebuffed Beijings objection to a plan oil and natural gas exploration by India's ONGC Videsh Ltd. at block 127 & 128 which it says has no legal basis as the blocks belongs to Vietnam...

China objects to oil hunt, India says back off - Hindustan Times
This is worth watching.. more work for the diplomats. Hopefully India and Viet Nam stand firm. Logically this dispute would be elevated to some legal body for arbitration but somehow I get the impression China isn't too keen on this approach to problem resolution.
Didn't VN accuse China of sabotaging a survey effort in the disputed area not too long ago?

Kalasag

Thanks for sharing.
A small country or a country which is economically dependend from China will pull back now, but India isn't both of them....
I wouldn't be too surprised with an Indian naval/air base there in the near future. Indian air presence will prove to be very lethal against China. India is much more experienced in warfare.

The news is troublesome. The big arms race is brewing in the South China Sea.

Sandhi Yudha

I wouldn't be too surprised with an Indian naval/air base there in the near future. Indian air presence will prove to be very lethal against China. India is much more experienced in warfare.

The news is troublesome. The big arms race is brewing in the South China Sea.
O yes, this is just the beginning....

Kalasag

O yes, this is just the beginning....

I also wonder why India isn't any more closer to the Philippines than to Vietnam. There's a huge Sikh-Hindu diaspora in the Philippines, and aside from that, a lot more Filipinos with Indian descent, which if you count may be a hundred times more than the number of Indians in Vietnam. India has been flooding the Philippines with cheaper generic medicines, which prove very helpful to most Filipinos. And a lot of youthful Indians come to the Philippines to study medicine. Hopefully, things will open up between the two countries, including defense exchanges.

colay

I also wonder why India isn't any more closer to the Philippines than to Vietnam. There's a huge Sikh-Hindu diaspora in the Philippines, and aside from that, a lot more Filipinos with Indian descent, which if you count may be a hundred times more than the number of Indians in Vietnam. India has been flooding the Philippines with cheaper generic medicines, which prove very helpful to most Filipinos. And a lot of youthful Indians come to the Philippines to study medicine. Hopefully, things will open up between the two countries, including defense exchanges.
IMO this was a very calculated move on the part of Viet Nam to leverage Indian involvement in a commercial venture to strenghen their position relative to China in the SCS. Smart move.
Its really up to the Philippine government if it wants to pursue a similar strategy or not. There will be consequences as China will respond in any number of ways, economic, political or military Malacanang will have to weigh carefully if the rewards are worth the risks.

Kalasag

India to sell BrahMos missile to Vietnam | Deccan Chronicle

This is sure to cause concern in Beijing. Not just the Brahmos but the deepening partnership between the 2 couuntries, both of which have had armed conflictswith the PRC in the past.
If the claims that the Brahmos is the world's fastest cruise missile is true, then these will prove a credible threat to China's naval dominance. They could also cripple naval installations in Hainan.

Easier said than done, but Vietnam and the Philippines could come to a mutual defense agreement which would include enhanced information sharing and transparency between both forces, joint military exercises and interconnected logistics for both navies. Vietnam and the Philippines already enjoy good relations with one another.

I will not be surprised if Vietnam or the Philippines hosts foreign military bases. A JANZUS base in the Philippines or an Indian base in Vietnam would surely agitate China, but this ultimately will be both countries' political nuke, as they would not achieve stalemate through military or economic means.

STURM

If the claims that the Brahmos is the world's fastest cruise missile is true, then these will prove a credible threat to China's naval dominance. They could also cripple naval installations in Hainan.
Not true, it will not make much of a difference and will certainly not ''prove a credible threat to China's naval dominance''. China has such a clear military superiority that even hundreds of Brahmos will not make much of a difference. As for targetting Chinese territory, bear in mind that the whole of South East Asia is already well in range of a number of Chinese ballistic and cruise missiles.

The main standoff threat to Vietnamese ships would be the KH-31 supersonic cruise missile, which is also operated by Malaysia. Though it has not been reported, Vietnam will almost certainly get the Klub missiles for its Kilos.

Last edited:

colay

If it came to any large scale conflict, there's really little doubt that China would prevail., it simply has an overwhelming military edge. Barring that however, a stronger defense posture by the smaller Davids on the block can still provide China reason for pause, actually bloody Goliath's nose and uphold national honor in defense of sovereignty.

legoboy

Thanks for sharing.
Sorry I misread the article.

Yeh I don't see the Indians pulling back from this, unless China was really really serious about this matter, then perhaps this would go down a different path.

colay

Korea News!: Hainan China Mounted Nuclear Weapon Facing Manila

Interesting news article from the Korean news online blogspot, very alarming events if this turns out to be on actual planning stage by China...
Really alarmist IMO. It makes no sense to target Manila with nukes as everyone is aware of China's military capabilities and Manila,s inability to pose any comparable threat.. this article seems intended to be a PR jab against Beijing . even if true, its counter-productive on China's part,, the last thing it wants is to give an excuse for Manila to invoke the MDT which is very clear about a nuke threat..
Its going to reach a point sometime where push comes to shove and we'll see how Manila responds to Chinese actions. That joint Viet Namese- Indian oil venture is also going to provide a litmus test of Chinese seriousness re the disputed areas.

BlCityfan

Banned Member
Oh authors

Sometimes I hate how authors can phrase their titles in a way that can make a story sound worse than it actually is. It sounds like India and China are about to fight over that small area near Vietnam. Cause in reality it's not even clsoe to that.

STURM

It's highly irrelevent whether or not Chinese nukes are actually targetted at Manila, which I doubt. The plain fact is that China has a handful of SSBNs and hundreds of ballistic and cruise missiles than can be targetted and launched anywhere in South East Asia if there is need. The main prority for China's strategic nukes is and will be India, Japan, Russia, the U.S. and U.S. military bases in the region.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.