Tips for training RAinf

unique

hey guys just got in the Australian Army as a rifleman just wondering what i will need to know once i get too kapooka (and also singleton) ive heard a little tip i can do while standing to attention is wiggle toes (too stop from feinting) also when at ease wiggle the hands when no one is watching im also thinking if i can set my watch to wake me up a little before the corporals will come in and wake us up :) i can get out abit more alert and ready rather then still asleep but dunno if id be able to do that.. any other tips that will help ease my stay at kapooka and singleton? cheers. im also getting myself into a heavy work out routine but will be waiting till june as positions for training till then have been filled (which is good to hear)

cheers
Unique

drjn

Never stand out from the crowd, just be one of "the mob". Try and shower and shave at night to give yourself more time in the mornings.
Understand that when someone is yelling at you, it is not a personal attack.
Also understand why they ( the instructors) are doing what they are doing, they are training you it fit into the greenmachine.
But most of all sit back and enjoy the ride !

Best of luck mate.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
And be sure that you have enough chocolate, pain pills and ear plugs to survive your basic training. ;) :D

Good luck. :D

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
as a former instructor at kapooka....i suggest that you just give everything 100%. Dont shave at night, you will still need to do morning routine. Follow instructions and listen. Dont take pain killers with you,you will not be allowed to keep them or any thing else that you bring to give you an edge. Stay positive regardless of anyones attitude. Above anything else, listen and follow instructions to the letter...they are not ambiguous and not open for interpretation.

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
as a former instructor at kapooka....i suggest that you just give everything 100%. Dont shave at night, you will still need to do morning routine. Follow instructions and listen. Dont take pain killers with you,you will not be allowed to keep them or any thing else that you bring to give you an edge. Stay positive regardless of anyones attitude. Above anything else, listen and follow instructions to the letter...they are not ambiguous and not open for interpretation.
Sounds like good survival advice to me!

Old faithful it sounds like you may be related (in spirit) to the RSM who was attached to the Royal Tasmania Regiment when I was a recruit at my first camp in the CMF (Oz army reserves) a long, long time ago! He was always right even when he was wrong and recruits who questioned an instruction only did so once! We hated his guts at the time but after a few years when a few of us were doing a course for promotion to sergeant he had become a mentor to us and we got on quite well. The fact that a number of soldiers in our unit volunteered for (and were accepted for) service with the regulars in Vietnam showed that his demanding expectations had not put us off the army. The only trouble was that we had probably become a bit like him and I think the new recruits probably hated our guts as well as his! :D

Cheers

unique

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
wasnt planning to take pain killers or caffien tabs or anything to give me an edge just wanted to know those little tips like wiggling toes scan the horizon and sing in my head (too keep me up straight) what i should expect on a regular day.. i know the instructers will be yelling and it is for a good reason and i will just try to suck up that energy to push through, i know i wouldnt be trying as hard if someone said in a soft voice "you will feel better if you can do it for me please?" me and friend are going in same time so we will be able to motivate eachother from a fresh start.

also im wondering if and while im rifleman how do i remuster (transfer) to a different position while in the army (ADF) if i found something interesting or i just wanted to change to a position such as clerk (random sub selection) what do seniors look for to rank up. once i am enlisted when do i get my uniform gear? what should i take too kapooka.. how will i be getting there from brisbane flying or just whole trip on the bus?

and just those little things that helped you
also atm what sort of work out routine should i do? i go jogging for around 3km do about 30 - 40 pushup (depending how good im feeling) i do about 70 sit ups but can do more and i get myself up to 20 chin ups but struggling then i go for a 1km walk cool down. im also gunna goto the gym soon

thanks
unique

unique

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
well i guess its to train you to deal with it.. ofcourse you would get pain killers if you broken something (maybe sprained something) but if your just sore from training then shrug it off you may need to deal with it in the future plus you need a clear head..

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Ah, I get it.

I didn't want to vote for using pain killers just everytime you don't feel comfortable but sometimes they are needed. :)

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
If camras are allowed you should bring one in your pocket and as the opportunity comes take a pic or a short vid on something... I give you this tip because I missed grab my camera during a "weapon display", I missed picking it up during the "coolest" parts when they had some (faked) artillery and triggered a anti-tank mine... that mine was somethin' really sweeeeet. :D

Simon9

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Pain killers are not allowed in Aussie army? :confused:
You're not allowed to take ANY medication with you to basic training. Definitely no chocolate either!

You don't need to shave at night, you'll have enough time during morning routine, but what I definitely do suggest is that you put brasso on your brass at night before you go to bed. Give it good coat, then during morning routine all you have to do is wipe it off and hey presto, shiny brass.

Brass will be your nemesis at Kapooka. They can tell if it hasn't been polished in more than about 12 hours, and if you don't do it in morning routine you're leaving yourself open to a charge.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
I can't speak for the Australian army, but I'll speak a little on my experience in the Canadian reserves.

Make sure to listen closely to instructions and perform your duties. Take note as often as you can since they'll be of big help later on. Don't fall behind on PT or you just might find yourself at odds with the guys in your section. I've seen a few roughed up quite a bit by other recruits for dragging the group behind. Like it or not, the army is not a place for the weak so blend in as much as possible. Falling behind or standing out are both bad ideas.

rickshaw

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Best tip. Don't volunteer.

Next best tip. Don't try and be a smart-arse.

Last best tip. Refer to first tip. DO NOT VOLUNTEER for anything. :lol:

Wooki

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
What a spoil sport OF :D I think they give you pain killers if the doc gives them to you, right? But otherwise no.

I'm not Army, but I can tell you this... Training saves your life. Especially when you have been going 56 hours straight, maybe longer. I'm sure the army has a set formula, so stick to it as when you are an automaten, it will save your bacon. There are lots and lots of easier ways to get hurt then standing at the wrong end of a rifle an they can all become very nasty when you are fatigued.

my 2c

cheers

w

dweezil.comm.op

hey guys just got in the Australian Army as a rifleman just wondering what i will need to know once i get too kapooka (and also singleton) ive heard a little tip i can do while standing to attention is wiggle toes (too stop from feinting) also when at ease wiggle the hands when no one is watching im also thinking if i can set my watch to wake me up a little before the corporals will come in and wake us up :) i can get out abit more alert and ready rather then still asleep but dunno if id be able to do that.. any other tips that will help ease my stay at kapooka and singleton? cheers. im also getting myself into a heavy work out routine but will be waiting till june as positions for training till then have been filled (which is good to hear)

cheers
Unique
only thing i can advise when in formation, if you wanna keep the blood running through you so you dont pass out, learn the mars bar technique...but when you do learn it, use it carefully...hahah:cool:
As far as i know, from a few mates, you will get used to the waking up & your mind will become an alarm clock, so don't worry about that, everyone backs up everyone, so if you dont wake up, one of your mates will. I've been told when i go, make sure you support all the guys there, & they support you all the way through, cos they will help you get through it all.
good luck mate

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
only thing i can advise when in formation, if you wanna keep the blood running through you so you dont pass out, learn the mars bar technique...but when you do learn it, use it carefully...hahah:cool:
What is the mars bar technique (or will the answer not pass the censor? :D )?

Cheers

dweezil.comm.op

What is the mars bar technique (or will the answer not pass the censor? :D )?

Cheers
umm, its a thing you learn when you're in cdts, & possibly when you join the service. basically, its cletching your arse:shudder , hence why they say its like eating a mars bar just from the other end...but i dont have the balls to try it, but i have been told by AAFCs, mates at that have just come out the RMC, that it helps in those long parade times. So yeh, thats basically it.
I could find other info on the training, as i have a mate that just came out of singleton, so his info is fresh...so if you wanna know anything detailed, i'll try and find out.

scrash

hey everyone im in the same boat as this bloke aswell, just got accepted as a rifleman but my wait is a bit longer, got to put on a bit of weight before i can go off to kapooka they said.

just wanted to say thanks for the tips, especially the brasso one that sounds pretty handy.

Auzzzie

Yeah, looks like some good info. I should have enlisted myself (Rifleman) 12 days ago, but I am injured and need surgery so that is off for a while.:shudder