Syria says repulses Israeli jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

XaNDeR

Syrian air defences went into action on Thursday to force out Israeli jets which had entered Syrian airspace, the official Syrian news agency SANA said.

"Our air defence forces repulsed some enemy Israeli aircraft which had penetrated Syrian air space, forcing them to leave, without causing human or material loss," the agency said.

Syria and Israel remain technically at a state of war, and peace talks broke down in 2000 over the fate of the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

http://www.france24.com/france24Pub...p-news.html?id=070906113132.yix1hoao&cat=null

Seems like the Israeli plane/s were on a reconnaissance mission when they were detected by Syrian air defenses and were forced to drop their bombs and extra fuel tanks to get out of range of the Syrian SAMs and to increase the aircraft's Maneuverability/performance.

SaudiArabian

Air Defense Units Confront Israeli Aircrafts over Syrian airspace forcing them to Leave
Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 04:15 PM

DAMASCUS, (SANA): Syrian Military spokesman stated Thursday that the Israeli enemy aircrafts infiltrated into the Syrian airspace overnight Thursday through the northern border, coming from the Mediterranean heading towards the eastern -northern region, breaking the sound barrier.

"Air defense units confronted them and forced them to leave after they drooped some ammunition in deserted areas without causing any human or material damage," the Military spokesman said.

The military spokesman added that "the Syrian Arab Republic warns the Israeli enemy government against this flagrant aggressive act, and retains the right to respond in an appropriate way."

Thawra- Ghossoun

Syrian Arab News Agency , SANA

highnndry

Seems like the Israeli plane/s were on a reconnaissance mission when they were detected by Syrian air defenses and were forced to drop their bombs and extra fuel tanks to get out of range of the Syrian SAMs and to increase the aircraft's Maneuverability/performance.
Why would they carry bombs in a reconnaissance mission? I can understand them carrying air to air missiles, but bombs? I don't understand why Syria doesn't engage them with their migs, may be they are scared :p: .

AntiBond007

Why would they carry bombs in a reconnaissance mission? I can understand them carrying air to air missiles, but bombs? I don't understand why Syria doesn't engage them with their migs, may be they are scared :p: .
First, I'm not sure how true the story is, after all its all coming from Syrian sources. But assuming it is true, what does "repulse" mean? It means that they fired and missed the plane. Also, how the hell did Israel get all the way into Syrian space with such sophisticated Russian defence systems? They should have detected the plane long before it got into their air space (if it ever did). So a) this is made up, b) Syrians are still incompotent, because with the systems they have, a plane should be detected long before it enters their air space.

SaudiArabian

First, I'm not sure how true the story is, after all its all coming from Syrian sources. But assuming it is true, what does "repulse" mean? It means that they fired and missed the plane. Also, how the hell did Israel get all the way into Syrian space with such sophisticated Russian defence systems? They should have detected the plane long before it got into their air space (if it ever did). So a) this is made up, b) Syrians are still incompotent, because with the systems they have, a plane should be detected long before it enters their air space.
the Syrian air defenses are weak. last time i was there was 4 years ago and i went to a place where you can see the Syria-Lebanon-israel borders meet together. there were many SAM missiles (1 missile on 1 launcher stationed on the top of the hills and mountains ; i couldn't identify it that time but i knew it was too old).

the problem isn't ever with the staff. they were on high readiness and high morale but its the lack of advanced systems that makes them weak and too exposed

if they have sophisticated Russian-made air defense systems then they are too few and can't cover most of the Syrian airspace

Grand Danois

Entertainer
If it happened, it looks like a ferret run to me. The fighter is unlikely to have carried bombs, but that it jettisoned its external tanks when dashing away sounds probable.

AntiBond007

repulse- To drive back; repel ;)
Anyways the planes left in a hurry according to reports they had to dump their extra fuel tanks and ammo. This incident occurred close the Turkish border.
Hehe, "repulse" is just a facesaving term, if you can't down anything (or show much), just use the term "repulse"... kind of like the Iraqi air defence systems in 1991 always repulsed the Americans.

Secondly, there were numerous reports of Syrian obtaining advanced Russian defence systems (Pantsyr, TOR M-1 for Iran etc), where only a few can protect a large amount of land, so its not like 4 years ago. That, that leads me to question the whole incident.

Hehe, "repulse" is just a facesaving term, if you can't down anything (or show much), just use the term "repulse"...
Maybe but they were in a rush to leave since reportedly they dump their extra tanks and ammo.

Secondly, there were numerous reports of Syrian obtaining advanced Russian defence systems (Pantsyr, TOR M-1 for Iran etc), where only a few can protect a large amount of land, so its not like 4 years ago. So, that leads me to question the whole incident
Well its getting a lot of play in the Israeli press and the higher-ups are not denying it. They are saying no comment .

AntiBond007

Maybe but they were in a rush to leave since reportedly they dump their extra tanks and ammo.

Well its getting a lot of play in the Israeli press and the higher-ups are not denying it. They are saying no comment .

Well, if if your fired on, dumping fuel tanks is normal procedure. But the fact the plane was all the way in Syrian territory before even a response, and a weak response at that (they didn't down it, but what? fired AA rounds at it I guess), doesn't really reinforce any faith in Syrian defences. Thus, I see the term, "repulse" as just facesaving, they couldn't down it, so the only thing they can really say is that, they forced it back...but its still pretty weak.

If this really happened, I can only suggest that maybe the Russian systems weren't operational, but really, if they were...not impressive.

It wouldn't be the first time fuel tanks have been confused with bombs in reports.
A Syrian official added: "They dropped bombs on an empty area while our air defences were firing heavily at them." Residents said they heard the sound of five planes or more above the Tal al-Abiad area on Syria's border with Turkey, about 100 miles north of the Syrian city of Rakka.......

Israel's army spokesman declined to comment on the report, saying he could not discuss military operations. .....

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article2938965.ece

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Same article:

However, it is not the first such incident and there was speculation yesterday that the Israeli planes may have jettisoned their fuel tanks over the deserted area to make them more manoeuvrable, possibly after being targeted by Syrian forces.

Have the Tors & Buks been delivered to Syria yet?

FutureTank

Banned Member
Particularly if the Israeli planes took off from Negev, and approached low over the Mediterranean to emerge on the Syrian-Turkish border, they would need external tanks.
Probably the real operation was an exercise with Turkey to test their air defenses, and not those of Syria. Incidentally they also tested Syrian air defenses on the Turkish border.

Cheers
Greg

A Syrian official added: "They dropped bombs on an empty area while our air defences were firing heavily at them." Residents said they heard the sound of five planes or more above the Tal al-Abiad area on Syria's border with Turkey, about 100 miles north of the Syrian city of Rakka.......

Israel's army spokesman declined to comment on the report, saying he could not discuss military operations. .....

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article2938965.ece

Particularly if the Israeli planes took off from Negev, and approached low over the Mediterranean to emerge on the Syrian-Turkish border, they would need external tanks.
Probably the real operation was an exercise with Turkey to test their air defenses, and not those of Syria. Incidentally they also tested Syrian air defenses on the Turkish border.

Cheers
Greg
Could it have been a mock bombing run to Iran? Thats probably the shortest route to Iran through northern Iraq.

FutureTank

Banned Member
Could it have been a mock bombing run to Iran? Thats probably the shortest route to Iran through northern Iraq.
Yes, it could since the Turkish air defense is probably on par with Iranian capability, while Syrian AD doesn't really represent many challenges to Israelis.
The test would be one of endurance.
Interestingly there were no reports from anyone else in the Med, since if this scenario is correct, the Israeli planes would have been in Cyprus radar range.
Cheers
Greg

Marsh

As was said, 'Repulse' is a fairly standard way of saying; 'They left, hence we must have made them leave' :)

As of mid 2006 Syria received KBM Strelets multiple launch units for Igla and Igla-S (SA-18). They also have S-200s (SA-5) together with Volga-M (SA-2) and S-125 Pechora (SA-3).

Status
Not open for further replies.