Which Arab Country Has Strongest Military?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I would say that even big korvettes like the IDF S'aar class together with fast PBGs and maybe 2-3 conventional subs should be enough to patrol the coast of SA.
There is no need for big blue water ships. These small ships are able to patrol the area and together with the air force should be able to give most opponents a real headache.

Izzy1

Banned Member
Current plans aim for a 12-strong purchase of Franco-Italian FREMM Frigates and at least 4 SSKs.

Does Saudi need them? Could the Royal Saudi Navy actually operate them all? Of course not, in both respects. But they are big, shinny and new and the politics of the deal are more important than the weapons themselves.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Izzy1 said:
Does Saudi need them? Could the Royal Saudi Navy actually operate them all? Of course not, in both respects. But they are big, shinny and new and the politics of the deal are more important than the weapons themselves.
And one of them has the machine that goes 'ping'...

A

Aussie Digger

Scorpius said:
what machine?
It's a Monty Python referrence where a hospital gets a brand new shiny machine that costs a fortune and only seems to make a noise "ping" and not do anything else, but no-one will admit they actually don't know what it is or what to do with it. A subtle dig at Saudi Arabia's new defence acquisitions methinks... :D

manwolf3

Banned Member
my opinion

i think saudis have the strongest army. is turkey a arab state too? If yes, than it might be the strongest one.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
what machine?

comedy
Well, at least some people get my humour, i don't but still

i think saudis have the strongest army. is turkey a arab state too? If yes, than it might be the strongest one.
The saudis perhaps have the latest u beaut technology and weapons, curtiousy of the buddy system. Turkey, idk, lot of unknowns when it comes to their ability...been like that since WW1....

swerve

Super Moderator
manwolf3 said:
i think saudis have the strongest army..
Fanciest kit. Doesn't mean most effective.

manwolf3 said:
is turkey a arab state too? If yes, than it might be the strongest one.
Don't ask that question in Turkey. It would cause offence. Different language, different history, different customs . . .

Scorpius

Keep a beard in Turkey and you are out of the job post you are holding.*mutters*

anyways,KSA army,the head of state well ....lacks knowledge how to run a military.They don't train their NCOs that well.There was an article about KSA in this thread some pages ago.that should help.

merocaine

i think saudis have the strongest army
Saudi's could'ent fight there way out of a wet paper bag. And why would they fight for that corrupt bunch of lay abouts they call leaders.
I'd like to see them fight a border war against the Yeman, who have really basic kit, but know how to fight. Yeman would take em apart.
Or for real comedy a war between Kuwait and Saudi, a race to see retreat fastest.

Blyekh

Well as far as material concern those Arab countries that have the cash to buy big advance/semi advance equipment they look strong. However can they use this equipment during a clash is a question mark. Egypt has shown that during the 73 war with Isreal; no doubt Isreal supporter would cry that this is only peanut compare to Isreal counter attack; manage to bloodied Isreal as compare to other war with Isreal. If comparing all the Arab states, Syria at one time do look strong with all the Soviet equipment but lost badly and the Golan Heights too. Not with hundreds of M1 tanks that you are strong but how it was use during the clash is the mark.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
During the Lebanon campaign in the '80s the leading IDF tank formations clashed with syrian elements and did not so well.

Rich

Blyekh said:
Well as far as material concern those Arab countries that have the cash to buy big advance/semi advance equipment they look strong. However can they use this equipment during a clash is a question mark. Egypt has shown that during the 73 war with Isreal; no doubt Isreal supporter would cry that this is only peanut compare to Isreal counter attack; manage to bloodied Isreal as compare to other war with Isreal. If comparing all the Arab states, Syria at one time do look strong with all the Soviet equipment but lost badly and the Golan Heights too. Not with hundreds of M1 tanks that you are strong but how it was use during the clash is the mark.
The weak link for the Arabs has always been in their leadership. During their wars with the Jews the Arab leaders schemed and backstabbed each other even more then they did the Israelis. Ive already talked about the inherent flaws in the command structure in Arab militaries which is based on Political reliability instead of leadership capability. In short, the ones running the show in Arab countries are more afraid of their own people, and other Arabs, then they are the Israelis. Thats why their Generals are mostly nincompoops but with the right bloodlines.

Loyalties in Arab nations revolve around family bloodlines and tribal ties. A good example is the fools running the Iraqi army in their various wars. They were all relatives of Saddam, either by blood or marriage, and from Saddams tribal area.

MG 3

Heres the deal no matter how much equip you have it doesn't matter if you cant use it. I am talking about first hand experience, they were here for joint exercises and they had trouble driving trucks in the desert(which we do regularly & they were UNIMOG's it is im possible to get them stuck). secondly they have hundreds of Abrams but if a problem occurs the tank is taken off and is sent to the contractor for repair and I am talking about oil filter change and air filter chang.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Perhaps a better question to ask would be, "Which Mideast Country aside from Israel is the most professional?"

As has been mentioned, some nations, particularly those with large oil revenues, frequently buy large numbers of advanced systems. Whether or not they are able to operate or maintain said systems is a different issue. Similarly, questions arise about the quality of the leadership. Even if a nation has advanced systems and the troops are capable of operating and maintaining them, if the leadership doesn't know what to do, or cannot inspire the troops, then equipment, or even numbers, don't matter.

Big-E

Banned Member
Todjaeger said:
Perhaps a better question to ask would be, "Which Mideast Country aside from Israel is the most professional?"
Saudi Arabia... there training is up to par with Israel. They have the money to do so and access to 1,000s of western personell, it really is that simple.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
And what about the rumors that they have problems to man the equipment?
They also have this problem of political generals.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
If you look at the recent operations in Lebanon there seem to be a lack of training for the IDF reserve personal.

And after many years serving more as a robust police/colonial force the spirit and the ability to operate in bigger traditional warfare scenarios degenerated.
That's what many people, also in Israel , are saying about the current capabilities of the IDF.

Status
Not open for further replies.