Which Arab Country Has Strongest Military?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
There was a whole Propaganda thing last week about Iran's military, and i got wondering, who the hell supplies the parts for their Chinooks and Cobras? Seeing as these are used by British and US, i don't see either supplying them, perhaps a third party? But would that put a risk their contracts with US firms.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
atilla said:
yes but to be able to rank mıdeast armed forces we also have to consıder theır defence ındustrıes yes we are all rankıng Egypt fırst as an strongest arab army but what ıf they wont be able to use western equıpment ın terms of hot clash ? so defence ındustry ıs also ımportant ıf we are goıng to rank them
The strength of a nation's defence industry only plays a part in the boosting of a nation's ability to swell the armed forces prior to going to war or the maintenance/replacement of equipment without using foreign sources. If a nation cannot do that on it's own, but instead is able to afford to purchase what it needs, then the advantages gained from a local defence industry are lost. Granted, a defence industry is needed if other nations refuse to sell needed arms, for the most part this is only an issue if the embargo is for a prolonged period of time and/or the conflict is not resolved quickly.

For very hot, intense clashes, as are usually seen now, they tend to resolve themselves quickly, before output from industry can make a contribution. For lower intensity conflicts, the engagements are not usually the sort where industrial output makes a difference. Aside from ammunition of course.

By way of illustration:
Country A has 400 Tier 1 tanks (M1, LeClerc, Leo 2,Challenger 2, etc.) and can build an additional 6 per month.
Country B has 500 Tier 1 tanks but has to buy replacements.

Country B is stronger, because it has more at the start of the conflict. Now if Country A was given more time to assemble tanks, or if for some reason Country B isn't able to establish a significant advantage, then Country A might gain the upper hand over time by being able to build up additional forces during the conflict.

vijayshimla

which arab country has strongest military

I think it is better to CLOSE this thread- because it has now been beaten to death & is quite redundant.

Big-E

Banned Member
vijayshimla said:
I think it is better to CLOSE this thread- because it has now been beaten to death & is quite redundant.
Yeah, seriously... Saudi Arabia... end of thread.

contedicavour

icelord said:
There was a whole Propaganda thing last week about Iran's military, and i got wondering, who the hell supplies the parts for their Chinooks and Cobras? Seeing as these are used by British and US, i don't see either supplying them, perhaps a third party? But would that put a risk their contracts with US firms.
Good question - Chinooks for instance have been produced by Japan and Italy besides the US. We haven't sold spare parts since the Iraq-Iran war started in 1981. So who the hell is providing the spare parts ?
The question is even more surprising for the Cobras...
Unless on this point the Iranians have found a way to producing spare parts by themselves. Plausible, after all.

cheers

.pt

Don´t know if this is realistic, but i´ve heard of contrafaction spare parts in civil airliners like Airbus and Boeing, being found in the asiatic region.
Perhaps this could extend somewhat to military aircraft and helicopters, except for very unique and sofisticated systems?
Also, is itnot possible to buy similar parts for civilian versions?
Either that, or someone is making a lot of money on the side..its known to happen before...
.pt

atilla

why should they spend too much or double prıce to fınd old cobras spare parts?? they can buy new hellos from other suplıers???????

contedicavour

atilla said:
why should they spend too much or double prıce to fınd old cobras spare parts?? they can buy new hellos from other suplıers???????
Well repairing old cobras clearly costs less than Mil24 or more recent Russian attack helicopters... otherwise Iran would have ordered them already

cheers

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Don't forget the black market for weapons and spare parts.
It is really huge and I just read that for example a US diplomat tried to smuggle a ejection seat into Venezuela. ;)

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Waylander said:
Don't forget the black market for weapons and spare parts.
It is really huge and I just read that for example a US diplomat tried to smuggle a ejection seat into Venezuela. ;)

It could be that he wanted to be sure to make a fast exit if Venezuela turned sour? :D

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
hmm, how do you explain it to the authorities...."i ahhh, i ahhhh, don't find the seats in my office give the same feeling as a chair that has a parachute"

Scorpius

any Arab military has the capability to capture a strategic place like the Golan heights?
does ANY Arab military have ballistic missiles or anti-ballistic missile defence system?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Scorpius said:
any Arab military has the capability to capture a strategic place like the Golan heights?
does ANY Arab military have ballistic missiles or anti-ballistic missile defence system?
I recall not long after the end of the Gulf War I, Saudi Arabia purchased some CS-200 (? not sure of name, it's been awhile) These were SRBM-IRBM max range out to around 1,000 miles or so. Also Kuwait had Hawk SAM from the US, not sure if they are still operational and even if they are, if they've been upgraded for BMD.

As for an Arab army capturing the Golan Heights, with the present status quo, I'd have to say no. At present Israel would almost certainly maintain air superiority. Between that and the entrenchment of their forces in the Golan Heights, I don't think any Arab army could focus enough force to dislodge the Israelis sort of a siege. The down side to a siege is that the US would almost certainly transport in material Israel needed and I don't think any Arab nation would be willing to use force to prevent a US resupply.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
If any one did make a move on the Golan, Israel would most like move to all out war, rather then the toe the line approach they had in Lebanon, never doubt Israel under attack on their own soil

aaaditya

i believe saudi navy can be a realy dominating force if they can acquire atleast 6 destroyers and 10 submarines,does anyone know of any saudi navy plans to acquire destroyers and submarines?

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
aaaditya said:
i believe saudi navy can be a realy dominating force if they can acquire atleast 6 destroyers and 10 submarines,does anyone know of any saudi navy plans to acquire destroyers and submarines?
Is there any real point in such a purchase for Saudi Navy?
The RAN doesn't even have that many subs, and about that ANZACs, and our the Tasmanian coast is longer then Saudi Arabia, let alone the Country
If the Saudis did plan to expand the navy, by 6 and 10, then the US would most likely have something to say, as it would be a aggresive posture in a volatile region

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Bigger Navy

icelord said:
Is there any real point in such a purchase for Saudi Navy?
The RAN doesn't even have that many subs, and about that ANZACs, and our the Tasmanian coast is longer then Saudi Arabia, let alone the Country
If the Saudis did plan to expand the navy, by 6 and 10, then the US would most likely have something to say, as it would be a aggresive posture in a volatile region
The Saudi Airforce is large and capable enough to deny any Ocean going bar one to its waters, destroyers probably aren't needed, as the AAW Frigates are really quite capable, and could fulfill most needed roles not mention its other minor warfare vessels.

Status
Not open for further replies.