Venezuelan F16s

wimpymouse

Banned Member
Don't remember if it's been mentioned already but, I remember reading that VE is going to buy fighter-trainers from China. They can carry a small load of arms; had a cannon and a few pylons to be used with both guided and unguided a2g munition.

momo

yes we are going to buy k-8 jet trainers(I'm not sure how many). The original plan was to buy yaks-130's however there were many countries on the list and it was going to take too long ( I think we had to wait until 2018) so FAV desided to choose the K-8. The current plan is to acquire k-8 trainers and in the future complement them the L-15 trainer

wimpymouse

Banned Member
yes we are going to buy k-8 jet trainers(I'm not sure how many). The original plan was to buy yaks-130's however there were many countries on the list and it was going to take too long ( I think we had to wait until 2018) so FAV desided to choose the K-8. The current plan is to acquire k-8 trainers and in the future complement them the L-15 trainer
Found it:
http://translate.google.com/transla...?q=arms+tass&hl=en&client=opera&rls=sv&hs=HT7

Venezuela becomes China 24 UBS K-8 Karakorum "

MOSCOW, September 29. (ARMS-TASS). Venezuela becomes China 24 UBS K-8 Karakoram "(K-8 Karakorum), reported Agence France-Presse, referring to the statement made by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

Delivery of the aircraft is scheduled for 2009. As previously reported, the estimated cost of one aircraft is 25 million USD.

K-8 Karakorum (also with a symbol JL-8) is a 4.3-tonne double jet TCB. In the 1990's. aircraft was jointly developed aviastroitelnymi companies of China and Pakistan, and produced a Chinese corporation "Hundi." K-8 can be equipped with American, Chinese or Ukrainian engines. China originally planned to use the engines from the U.S., however, imposed in 1989 by the American administration of sanctions, including a ban on the supply of engines, have forced China to design its own engine WS-11. During the drafting of national oborudovalis engine aircraft propulsion AI-25LTK of Ukrainian origin.

K-8 is equipped with five points of the suspension arms, able to develop a cruising speed of 800 km / h, and to fly without refueling for 4 h. It can carry 23-mm cannon at the point of suspension under the fuselage and 500 kg bombs, guided and unguided missiles at four links of pylons. This makes it possible to use the aircraft to fight the enemy, do not possess advanced air defense system. "Karakoram" is equipped with a minimal set of BREO, since the main objective of fusion is the initial training of pilots, piloting fighter jet, for example, F-16 and Su-30, which are armed with the Air Force of Venezuela.

As reported, the choice of the TCB is due to the failure of Venezuela in the negotiations on the sale of educational EMB-314 Super Tukano "the Brazilian company Embraer, which is under pressure from the United States refused to sell their planes.
24 planes that can be used for light-attack, to be delivered this year already (!), will at least have some calming effect on Venezuelans.

As I understood it, they will have the Ukranian engine?

Personally, I'd prioritize money to be spent on air defence and guerrilla weapons, rather than on tanks and IFV's. One of the biggest deterring factors of Cuba, combined with their tactics, is that every man/woman that has served (and is still of age) has all his personal equipment at home, including his AK.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of the best deterring factors of Cuba is that there is no reason to invade it. In any event what I'd be interested in seeing is when Venezuela signs the next large arms contract. It seemed like there was one in the works, with Il-76/78, BMP-3, T-90, Su-35BM, and potentially Tor M1s, Kilos, and other equipment. Now we have heard nothing over the next little while.

wimpymouse

Banned Member
One of the best deterring factors of Cuba is that there is no reason to invade it. In any event what I'd be interested in seeing is when Venezuela signs the next large arms contract. It seemed like there was one in the works, with Il-76/78, BMP-3, T-90, Su-35BM, and potentially Tor M1s, Kilos, and other equipment. Now we have heard nothing over the next little while.
Yeah, a lot of time has passed since last and I was expecting them to be a bit more afraid after all that's happened before, and now lately the 4th Fleet has been recomissioned, and in not so distant future the US are going to have a surplus of resources as they'll be withdrawing from Iraq.

Tankers are well needed, subs, airdefence.. How come they're looking at Tor M1s and not S-300s? Tor's have shorter range, no? More agile?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The S-300 is a high-end system. It's expensive to operate, and complex. Morever it's not designed with autonomous operations in mind, but as part of a large IADS. One does not replace the other. I would call them complementary systems. In any event I suspect that 1) they want to start with smaller scale tactical systems first, and move up from there 2) may not immediately have the money 3) production availability may be an issue. The Russian defense industry in ADS area is backlogged with orders for several years. And the entire S-400 production line has been bought up by our MoD for the iirc next 3 years. Since the S-400 is essentially a very deep modernized S-300, I suspect that the production line for them is the same one (i.e. same plant). That might be an issue. Finally the support assets to make an S-300 unit function properly are quite hefty.

momo

sure...the second picture dates from the early 1990's in a visit from the USAF....at that time the US was offering us the A-10 for sale to the FAV.....the third picture was an exercise about three years ago where various aircrafts landed on highways in Barinas