USA Planning 20 Billion $ Arms Sale to Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia Eyes Heavily Armed, Aegis LCS

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=2124638&C=navwar

A Mini-Destroyer
Sources said the LCS design being contemplated by the Saudis is far more heavily armed than U.S. versions. Among the desired characteristics:
• The SPY-1F version of Aegis, similar to that fitted in new Norwegian frigates.
• A 57mm gun.
• Two Mark 41 eight-cell vertical launch systems, able to handle 16 Standard surface-to-air missiles or 64 Evolved Sea Sparrow Missiles.
• Two quad-pack Harpoon surface-to-surface launchers.
• Two 20mm Close In Weapon Systems.
• Two triple Mark 32 torpedo tubes for anti-submarine torpedoes.
• Four remote .50-caliber guns.
• Chaff launchers.
• The General Dynamics Canada Hydra dipping sonar.
• A mine detection center.
• A hangar able to house two MH-60R helicopters
This must be the naval component of the deal.

eaf-f16

so they didn't help.

No wonder Israel is OK with this sale.:eek:nfloorl:
Saudi Arabia was unable to help even if it wanted to because their armed forces weren't well developed back then so they helped the only way they could. But now Saudi has a well developed army for self-defense and an air force capable of both defense and offensive operations against any air force in the region including Israel's. The Typhoon sale will only augment the RSAF's offensive capabilities even if Israel buys large amounts of F-35. I'm not saying that any Arab/Muslim nation that goes against Israel won't lose within the first few days (one week max). The IAF is by far more powerful than a coalition of Arab states will remain that way for quite a while.

p.s quit with the flame bait and one liners.

Last edited:

cheetah

Saudi Arabia was unable to help even if it wanted to because their armed forces weren't well developed back then so they helped the only way they could. But now Saudi has a well developed army for self-defense and an air force capable of both defense and offensive operations against any air force in the region including Israel's. The Typhoon sale will only augment the RSAF's offensive capabilities even if Israel buys large amounts of F-35. I'm not saying that any Arab/Muslim nation that goes against Israel won't lose within the first few days (one week max). The IAF is by far more powerful than a coalition of Arab states will remain that way for quite a while.

p.s quit with the flame bait and one liners.
Iam sorry which part of what i said was flamable.if the point could be made with less words.there is no need to go on and on about it.
as you just admited that no arab air force has a chance against israel.so whats the point of spending $20billion dollars with a country that will equip your enemy for free and with more advance weapons.:unknown

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
While it looks like the deal is going to go thru with Saudi Arabia, Israel doesn`t seem to have any issues due to the most likely fact that the U.S has pledged over 30 billion dollars to them over the next decade.

f-22fan12

I read an article on Yahoo! saying that Israel wasn't opposed to the arms sale to the KSA. Israel said it wanted others to bolter defenses against Iran.

SaudiArabian

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Prince Khalid bin Sultan meets Roberts Gates

Jeddah, August 01 , SPA -- Prince Khalid bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz, the Assistant Minister of Defense and Aviation and Inspector General for Military Affairs met here today U.S. Secretary of States Robert Gates.

During the meeting, they discussed a number of issues of mutual interests.
The meeting was attended by Commander of Royal Air Force Air Vice Marshal Mohammed bin Ayesh.

--SPA

SaudiArabian

U.S.-Saudi Arabia Arms Deal Is Viewed As Threat To Israel

By: David Bedein, The Bulletin
08/01/2007

Jerusalem - After initial comments by Prime Minister Ehud Olmert that the American-Saudi deal was simply a gesture to a moderate Arab regime, Israeli officials issued a clear statement of condemnation of the deal as "counterproductive to peace."

Gabi Avital, a senior official at the Israel Air Force's Flight Academy and a lecturer at the Technion Institute in Haifa, observed today that "the United States of America is using all its might to put through one of the largest arms deals in its history, estimated at $20 billion. The deal includes advanced combat jets, smart bombs, computer systems and missile boats. Saudi Arabia is considered by the White House to be a "strategic ally."

As a result of this deal, Avital notes, "the technological gap will quickly shrink." A squadron of combat jets will be positioned on Saudi Arabia's Western border, minutes from Israel, which is skeptical of the Saudis' promise that no harm will come to Israel. In the early 1990s, Saudi Arabia bought F-15 planes equipped with integral fuel tanks. Despite Saudi Arabia's promise to the Americans, the planes were positioned next to Israel.

And from a purely American strategic point of view, Saudi Arabia does not see eye to eye with the U.S. on its goals in Iraq, on the negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians and on the price of oil and its production.

Meanwhile, the Saudis demand that Hamas be included in the "peace process." The Saudis are quick to remind the world that they are the sponsors of Hamas, which President Bush has repeatedly stated is one of the key elements of the "axis of evil."

The Bulletin

mysterious

It creates no threat, when in response to this deal, the US is offering $30b in military aid to Israel. It is the encirclement of Iran that is on the cards.

eaf-f16

It creates no threat, when in response to this deal, the US is offering $30b in military aid to Israel. It is the encirclement of Iran that is on the cards.
There is no "encirclement" of anybody. The Gulf countries aren't about to stage an offensive on Iran even if in a coalition with US and or the UK unless Iran attacks and Arab country or make a clear threat to any Gulf state, which it has no reason to do seeing the state of it's armed forces. Israel and Egypt are too far from Iran to do anything about it (plus Egypt wouldn't stage an offensive on Iran). The Arab arms deals are for self-defense (both against Israel and Iran) and the Israeli deal is for offensive purposes (against everybody but still a little too far from Iran).

eaf-f16

While it looks like the deal is going to go thru with Saudi Arabia, Israel doesn`t seem to have any issues due to the most likely fact that the U.S has pledged over 30 billion dollars to them over the next decade.
I really don't see what the Saudis are spending all their money on. SA is going to spend $250 billion dollars over the next decade (none of which is aid by the way) and Israel is spending $75 billion dollars over the next decade ($30 billion of which is aid). Yet, everybody says that Israel has a quality advantage over SA (and I agree). Maybe if SA looks for Russian/European (excluding the UK) equipment, where they don't put much restrictions, they would have better luck having a qualitative advantage.

The Arab arms deals are for self-defense (both against Israel and Iran) and the Israeli deal is for offensive purposes (against everybody but still a little too far from Iran).
The proposed arms sale to the Saudis and rest of the GCC is aimed directly at Iran only. The goal is to get Iran into an arms race which will put a strain on its economy and create internal problems for the regime. How successful will it be, remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Izzy1

Banned Member
The proposed arms sale to the Saudis and rest of the GCC is aimed directly at Iran only. The goal is to get Iran into an arms race which will put a strain on its economy and create internal problems for the regime. How successful will it be, remains to be seen.
Thank goodness. radiosilence has hit the point straight on the head.

Arming the Arabs and Israelis in what PM Olmert has already called "a broad front" is dangerous in my opinion. Iran knows it can not win a conventional arms race against Israel or Saudi. And lets be fair - it has never tried.

Thus are we not, through pushing these big conventional arms deals, pressing Tehran even further towards its only viable option of national defence - nuclear weapons development?

eaf-f16

Iran knows it can not win a conventional arms race against Israel or Saudi. And lets be fair - it has never tried.
That's not true in the mid to late 70's Iran was well ahead of any Middle East country in terms of arms. It had 80 F-14A's and 300 F-16A/B's on order. It was going to be the strongest ME country well ahead of Israel and Saudi.

Last edited:

eaf-f16

Thus are we not, through pushing these big conventional arms deals, pressing Tehran even further towards its only viable option of national defence - nuclear weapons development?
That's a very good point but I don't think the States will it get to that point. It will probably strike Iran well before that ever happens. And is the US trying to spark an ME arms race really that surprising? The US never did anything that had a positive impact on the ME (excluding Israel). They're making the Arabs (and Iran) delusional and insecure and it's arming and supporting the only nuclear weapons proliferater in the Middle East. It seems to me that the US is the only "destabilizing force" in the ME. If the US wasn't so war loving and the Israel didn't have nukes Iran would probably not seek such weapons.

JMHO

Izzy1

Banned Member
That's not true in the mid to late 70's Iran was well ahead of any Middle East in terms of arms. It had 80 F-14A's and 300 F-16A/B's on order. It was going to be the strongest ME country well ahead of Israel and Saudi.
A valid point eaf-f16, I should correct myself - the Iranian Islamic Republic has avoided getting embroiled in the regional arms race.

Still, compared to its neighbours, Iran's geophysical capability and advantage is very great.

Does anyone here remember the original Sikorsky 'Blackhawk' attack helicopter? Designed specifically for Iran, Cobra-style cockpit and a troop carrying capability. If memory serves however, the project collapsed after the prototype crashed at the Paris Air Show (?).

eaf-f16

A valid point eaf-f16, I should correct myself - the Iranian Islamic Republic has avoided getting embroiled in the regional arms race.

Still, compared to its neighbours, Iran's geophysical capability and advantage is very great.

Does anyone here remember the original Sikorsky 'Blackhawk' attack helicopter? Designed specifically for Iran, Cobra-style cockpit and a troop carrying capability. If memory serves however, the project collapsed after the prototype crashed at the Paris Air Show (?).
Wow, Iran had some pretty lavish defense spending back then. It's a shame there was coup. It's true that the Islamic Republic of Iran never entered an arms race with Saudi or Israel and if they entered one they would lose.

Last edited:

Izzy1

Banned Member
Despite my reservations of it as a source of knowledge - Wikipedia does have a good and very comprehensive section on the Iranian Revolution of 1979 that I would recommend.

The Shah loved his military 'toys' and no expense was spared on the Iranian military - thus partially the distrust the Islamic regime has of it today.

300 F-16s - amazing.

Again, wasn't the downgraded YF-16 an Iranian funded project?

Last edited:

SaudiArabian

Secretary Rice, Secretary Gates, Foreign Minister Prince Saud Press Conference

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
August 1, 2007

QUESTION: (In Arabic) This is a question from Reuters TV. Dr. Rice, you have said before that America gives military support to the nine countries, but not for war. What are you giving support for? Mr. Gates, what kind of support do these nine countries have to give to the U.S., and why do Democrats insist on a timeframe for pulling out of Iraq? Your Highness, what kind of cooperation have you been asked to give America and its presence in the region? Does this meeting about military indicate an international crisis?

SECRETARY RICE: I might note I think that the translation was not coming through to the American press corps, so let me just say that the question to me was about the support that we - the military support, security support to the nine nations of the Gulf, and if it is not for war, what is it for.

And I would say that it is to secure the peace. We have with our allies in this region for decades been committed to a peaceful Gulf. We have had security cooperation with Saudi Arabia that goes back for decades, with other Gulf states that goes back for decades. With Egypt, we have just come to an end of a ten-year program on security cooperation. So there is nothing new here. The challenges may be different. In some ways, the challenges may be more acute, more - it may be a more challenging environment. But this is a very long-time and long-term security relationship in which we've been engaged.

SECRETARY GATES: I think the question that - two-part question that came to me was what kind of assistance are we providing to the nine countries of the Gulf, and then there was a second question in terms of domestic opposition in the United States to our presence, continuing military presence in Iraq.

With respect to the first, we've had ongoing bilateral security relationships with most of the countries in the Gulf for decades. Those assistance programs are tailored to the needs of each of those countries and their perceptions of their own security requirements. One of the purposes of my coming on this trip was to explore with each of our friends whether there were further opportunities for cooperation and enhancing those security relationships as we look forward.

In terms of opposition in the United States to the war, the reality is that the United States has been at war in Iraq for over four years. We have suffered just over 3,000 American soldiers killed in battle, several tens of thousands wounded. This is very painful for the American people. I think that there is a concern, has been a concern, at the slow pace with which the Iraqi political leadership has approached reconciliation while these sacrifices were being made.

By the same token, I think that there is an appreciation that the United States must not take any action as we look forward that is significantly - that is destabilizing here in this region. And I am confident that the President will take into account in any decisions he makes with respect to Iraq the long-term stability of the region.

FOREIGN MINISTER SAUD: (In Arabic) When the Kingdom gets weapons, it gets them to defend itself. The Kingdom has never been known to be a belligerent or aggressive country. That is why we are arming. I don't think any one of us in this room doubts the threats in the region and the turmoil that it is in. Therefore, whatever protects the Saudi nation and Saudi interests, the government has to take measures about it. I hope the reporters ask one question, and not three at a time.

QUESTION: In English, please?

SECRETARY RICE: Would you mind just saying in English what you just said? They didn't - they couldn't get a translation.

FOREIGN MINISTER SAUD: I said that Saudi Arabia is a peaceful country. It is a peaceful country in an area of tremendous threat and upheaval, and so it is not strange that it is trying to acquire a posture of defense that will protect the interests of and safety of the people of Saudi Arabia. And I asked the reporters to ask one question at a time instead of three questions.

Source: US State Department

http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2007/08/89907.htm

the full press conference is on the link , i deleted most of it because its irrelevant to the thread and kept the part which is relevant