USA Planning 20 Billion $ Arms Sale to Saudi Arabia

Izzy1

Banned Member
It is a valid point - Israel's record of lobbying against Saudi arms purchases from the US isn't the most impressive.

However at the end of the day lets face it, Israel would rather have Saudi buying large amounts of US kit - and thus dependant on US supply and maintenance expertise. Without this support - which would quickly be withdrawn in any conflict between Riyadh and Tel Aviv; the RSAF would quickly begin loosing combat efficiency.

The alternative would be Saudi oil funds buying hundreds of Russian Sukhois and Chinese J-10s...

Last edited:

Snayke

Hang on, Israel gets free military assets from the USA? Now that I did not know. I just assumed they would have to purchase equipment like everyone else. :|

Izzy1

Banned Member
Hang on, Israel gets free military assets from the USA? Now that I did not know. I just assumed they would have to purchase equipment like everyone else.
On the contrary, Israel pays very little on direct military spending thanks to massive amounts of annual US military aid. I don't have the exact figure to hand sorry, but it is multi-billions US$ per year.

Israel's domestic economy could never support the capability deemed necessarry for her defence - which in real terms means total dominance against the myriad of nations surrounding it.

Just on the point of potential objections from Tel Aviv, just listened to PM Olmert's view on the possible Arab arms deal. He didn't sound very concerned, indeed he openely stated the need to assist the 'moderate Arab nations' and their part in a regional 'broad front' - including Israel I assume. For his Government, selling Saudi and the other Gulf states US military equipment is another way of putting pressure on Iran.

Be interesting to see how Tehran reacts - I fear it may be pushed further towards the nuclear option...

Incognito129

Banned Member
I for one, certainly can't see the logic in that. If they have the money, prefer Western systems and can play UK, France and the US, why go to Russia or China for arms?
They need weapons. I'm saying if the US decided not to follow through in the order the Saudi's will go somewhere else.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
And that's exactly what Grand Danois said.

The logical next choice would be a european source (most notably the UK and France).
One just has to look at their current equipment so see between which suppliers they normally diversify their equipment.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Is it a problem that they are NATO members?
They have been NATO members in the past when SA aquired french and british equipment.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Well yeah they have the option of UK or France. I believe they had a 6billion dollar deal already with them, but they are all part of NATO.
Well, the US can't veto arms sales from NATO members to Saudi Arabia. And the US haven't had issues with what capabilities are being supplied or are in the works.

As I see it, the current US probe into the BAE/Saudi deal is more about money and influence, and perhaps the only tool at hand to compromise future deals...

Last edited:

cheetah

Mod edit:

Try backing your arguments up with sound reasoning and something approaching evidence hey?

Do so and you'll be allowed to continue to post.

First warning.

AD

Last edited by a moderator:

cheetah

Mod edit:

Try backing your arguments up with sound reasoning and something approaching evidence hey?

Do so and you'll be allowed to continue to post.

First warning.

AD
which part do u want me to reason with saudies will be paying for there weapon systems and israel will get 30billion worth of arms for free.

:eek:nfloorl:

Mod edit: You really don't get the point of my earlier comment do you?

If you make a claim, support it. If you can't then it's nothing more than an opinion is it?

As GD says, put a bit more consideration into your posts and support them with some kind of evidence. If you truly believe Israel is about to receive $30b worth of armaments from the USA free of charge, show us something to confirm this.

AD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grand Danois

Entertainer
which part do u want me to reason with saudies will be paying for there weapon systems and israel will get 30billion worth of arms for free.

:eek:nfloorl:
Perhaps because your post was a string of unsubstantiated and prejudiced insults?

Put more consideration into what you write.

metro

@snake, Bush can't "reverse-veto";) something, but usually when it comes to arms, there is some line in a law that has a "Presidential waiver," that allows him/her to proceed or allow a sale if, "There's an imminent security threat to US interest's." The wording is something like that anyway. Clinton made interesting use of it vis-a-vis 1)China a few times 2) An EU country 3) Russia, Iran... just for a few examples that we're all suffering because of today.

Well, the US can't veto arms sales from NATO members to Saudi Arabia. And the US haven't had issues with what capabilities are being supplied or are in the works.
Nope, but Pres-o-dent (fill in the blank), can make things difficult if there's any US tech in the system, or on a system it may need. I'm not sure about any NATO agreements on arms control to the Gulf, but if there is anything, I wouldn't doubt he tries the "sanctions against the company might be put in place." Believe you me, if Bush were giving away tickets to his fan section, I think he'd be alone. Cheaney could play the. "I need to be in an 'Undisclosed location'" card, to protect his reputation.;)

As I see it, the current US probe into the BAE/Saudi deal is more about money and influence, and perhaps the only tool at hand to compromise future deals...
That's very possible but I think there's a quiet justice department investigation going on here too. There was a reason that anyone would be looking into Saudi Account(s), more than the usual. Because of the last part, you never know what you'll find. I'm guessing others were following the money, and something more than half-serious came up. Otherwise a simple and quiet mention of a potentially big problem to the Saudis, if arms sales were the end game, probably could have kept things quiet. The Prince at the time made a quick exit though. Who knows for sure. The only other thing I can think of that definitely happened, is money was being watched and an EU country has a problem in that several front companies were set up and selling "items" to help complete Iran's program. (I'm not sure that it's necessary to name the country)?

But threats of "sanctions" from the US can definitely be used there.

-Did you or anyone else make anything of the Rafael landing on the Enterprise?
Future ("Offshore") NATO forward operating base?:unknown

take it easy

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Most modern equipment offered by the big european NATO members doesn't include american equipment.
Sweden has this problem with the Gripen but most other countries do not.

Europe has the full range of modern ground equipment, air assets and seagoing vessels for sale which is not including american equipment.

Especially with ground equipment USA lacks some modern offers for potential customers as well as for coastal ships and SSKs.

And the past teached us that the Saudis have no problem buying their stuff alson in europe and the US did nothing against it.

SaudiArabian

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Iran Criticizes U.S., Saudis Arms Deal

By NASSER KARIMI
The Associated Press
Monday, July 30, 2007; 6:24 AM

TEHRAN, Iran -- Iran's foreign ministry spokesman on Monday criticized a U.S. plan to sell state-of-the-art weapons to Saudi Arabia, saying it would undermine security in the Middle East, the state broadcasting company reported.

Mohammad Ali Hosseini's comments followed reports last week that the U.S. planned to sell Saudi Arabia an estimated $20 billion of sophisticated weaponry, including advanced air systems that would greatly enhance the striking ability of Saudi warplanes

"What the Persian Gulf region needs is stability and security," Hosseini was quoted as saying on the Web site of the state broadcasting company. "Americans have been trying to disturb it by selling weapons to the region."

Administration officials have also said the U.S. will extend additional aid to other friendly nations in the Middle East, including Israel and Egypt.

The proposed weapons sales and aid packages are intended to strengthen U.S. allies at a time of uncertainty in the Middle East, officials have said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the press. They also help counteract Iran's rising influence in the region.

The United States accuses Iran of developing nuclear weapons and supporting Shiite militias in Iraq, charges Tehran denies. The Sunni-led governments of the Middle East are also wary of Shiite Iran's growing power, and Israel views the country as its principal enemy.

Hosseini accused the U.S. on Monday of inflaming tensions in the region to further its weapons sales.

"Americans have pursued a particular policy in the region: creation of fear and concern among regional countries in order to prepare an opportunity for selling arms," he was quoted as saying.

The Israeli and Egyptian proposals would lock in U.S. aid commitments for the next 10 years. The total for Israel would rise from $2.4 billion to about $3 billion a year, and Egypt would continue to receive $1.3 billion a year.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is expected to announce the proposed aid deals and a proposed arms sales package to Persian Gulf nations, including Saudi Arabia, before she leaves on a trip to the Middle East on Monday.

Washington Post

Note: the Saudi Government did NOT criticize the Iranian plan to aquire 250 Su-30