The most advanced Air Forces today?

A

Aussie Digger

Ladies and Gentleman,

This thread is bordering upon "this v that" type comparisons.

These are expressly forbidden on the site, because they are futile.

Let us move back to technological discussions on various forces, rather than ranking nations on some sort of perceived capability level, otherwise the thread will have a short life span.

Regards

AD

crobato

Despite their size, both are heavily reliant on foreign R&D either through direct purchases or cloning, neither have ever developed or fielded a truly world leading form of air power technology, both are significantly deficient in terms of force multipliers, both are significantly deficient in terms of ISTAR and information distribution, and both rely on large numbers of obsolete platforms.
You haven't seen nor observed the PLAAF's great expansion in terms of force multipliers. The PLAAF has reorganized two divisions, specifically for the purpose of AEW, surveillance, target finding, SIGINT, ELINT, and ECW. The heart of this is the KJ-2000 and the Y-8GX line, which alone comprises of at least 7 types of aircraft and counting. These aircraft includes radars with full electronic scanning capabilities, aircraft meant to find targets on land and sea, aircraft specifically meant to map large areas of the ground as well as aircraft specifically designed to support C31 over a wide area. All the technologies are homegrown, inspired or copied from someone else.

This is no more some Soviet style airforce.

But this is OT, the point I was trying to make is that he can't classify the J-8 as 4th gen.
No its not 4th gen, but the latest variants have TWRs over unity, which is much more than 3rd gen aircraft, and pack the ability to use active homing missiles. That makes them a threat to any 4th gen in terms of BVR, speed and dash, though not in close range ACM. The navigation systems on some of these variants appear upgraded so they can support satellite positioning, and thereby the use of FT, LS and LT series of satellite positioned bombs.

Ozzy Blizzard

You haven't seen nor observed the PLAAF's great expansion in terms of force multipliers. The PLAAF has reorganized two divisions, specifically for the purpose of AEW, surveillance, target finding, SIGINT, ELINT, and ECW. The heart of this is the KJ-2000 and the Y-8GX line, which alone comprises of at least 7 types of aircraft and counting. These aircraft includes radars with full electronic scanning capabilities, aircraft meant to find targets on land and sea, aircraft specifically meant to map large areas of the ground as well as aircraft specifically designed to support C31 over a wide area. All the technologies are homegrown, inspired or copied from someone else.
I have actually.

I didn't say PLAAF/IAF were devoid of force multipliers, but at the current time their number and in many cases quality (compared to technological leaders) significantly restricts their ability to project air power beyond their perspective geographical region's. That my friend is a fact, and even though there is an extensive modernization program going on that is going some way to address this fundamental deficiency (which by the may i mentioned in the earlier post), it puts both India and China squarely behind 'global powers' in term's of capability.

Additionally the vast majority of the PLAAF's order of battle is AT LEAST a generation behind world leaders.

This is no more some Soviet style airforce.
If I were you I'd be wishing it was. The Soviet air force was once one of the most capable on the face of the planet. In terms of ISR and comm's Ivan was only second to the US, think of a spaced based navigation system to rival GPS, IR, EO, RORSAT & ELINT satellite constellations, Tanker to fighter ratio only second to NATO, large numbers of extremely capable AEW aircraft and regiments dedicated to EW, and orbat mainly consisting of current gen platforms with competitive missiles (some cases world leading) and the worlds second largest strategic arms arsenal. All that in the mid 80's.... The PLA would drool for such a capability, and they are a long, long, long way from achieving it in contemporary (or any) terms.

crobato

No you have not. If you can tell me unit numbers of the current J-10 regiments without batting an eyelid, I would believe you.

I didn't say PLAAF/IAF were devoid of force multipliers, but at the current time their number and in many cases quality (compared to technological leaders) significantly restricts their ability to project air power beyond their perspective geographical region's. That my friend is a fact, and even though there is an extensive modernization program going on that is going some way to address this fundamental deficiency (which by the may i mentioned in the earlier post), it puts both India and China squarely behind 'global powers' in term's of capability.
Their number? In China, we are getting open sourced pictures now, that indicate rows and rows of these aircraft. That's a lot more than previously thought, and we're able to get unit numbers as well. In Google Earth, scores of Y-8s can be spotted along bases down the coast. Though the exact numbers are not disclosed, I can probably estimate at least two regiments, a regiment representing at least 24 aircraft. This number is rapidly growing considering we are only spotting the first of these aircraft around four years ago.

I see nothing to suggest that their technological level is low. Their AEW and surveillance aircraft are clearly using electronic scanning arrays, and in the KJ-200, the observable cooling system might even suggest...

And what do you mean the vast majority of the PLAAF aircraft being a generation behind?

Current---not future-inventory

76 Su-27s, 28 of whom are capable of using the R-77
105 J-11 and J-11A---which are capable of using the R-77 by the way
100 Su-30MKK/MK2
24+ J-11B (still in production)
120 to 150 J-10s (still in production, now heading into a new model)
150+ JH-7As and JH-7s (still in production)
150+ J-8F/H, these capable of using the PL-12 (still in production)

Already just in the continent, the PLAAF already has the largest inventory of aircraft with active fire and forget missiles. Lets add something to this, that the Flankers and the J-10s also use helmet sights and wide off boresight missiles, which also makes them having the largest inventory of such craft in the region.

The J-6s are all gone, the J-7s are diminishing in number----for each group that has gone J-10, J-11 or J-8F, its one less group of the older J-7s and J-8s. For each new JH-7A group, you have an equal number of Q-5s that either has gone into retirement or reserve. The numbers I posted above, equally represents the shrinkage of J-7, J-8 and Q-5 numbers. Tracking whose left, is tracking groups marked for the next possible conversion.

All are things that has happened and happening now. 2009. I'm not talking about 2020. Examine if you will the vast changes between PLAAF 1999 vs. PLAAF 2009. Back in 1999 you only got 76 Flankers then that can be considered decent modern. What's going to be how the PLAAF looks like in 2019?

Last edited:

Ozzy Blizzard

No you have not. If you can tell me unit numbers of the current J-10 regiments without batting an eyelid, I would believe you.
That's great mate, can you tell me every fighter wing equipped with F-22A's in the USAF? Well until you do I wont consider you fit to comment on 5th gen platforms... :rolleyes:

Their number? In China, we are getting open sourced pictures now, that indicate rows and rows of these aircraft. That's a lot more than previously thought, and we're able to get unit numbers as well. In Google Earth, scores of Y-8s can be spotted along bases down the coast. Though the exact numbers are not disclosed, I can probably estimate at least two regiments, a regiment representing at least 24 aircraft. This number is rapidly growing considering we are only spotting the first of these aircraft around four years ago.
Really? How many E-3 equivalent AEW platforms have the PLA deployed? The US fields 34, NATO fields a further 18. How many rivet joint esk platforms??? How many proper tankers (not badger conversions)??? The fact is the lack of force multipliers (and by that i don't just mean tankers and AEW) is a significant constraining factor for the PLAAF, and the IAF, compared to the Russians or USAF.

I see nothing to suggest that their technological level is low. Their AEW and surveillance aircraft are clearly using electronic scanning arrays, and in the KJ-200, the observable cooling system might even suggest...
Well even the Swedes deployed an active phased array based AEW platform in the 90's, simply putting and AESA on a Y-8 hardly world leading. Pluss the fact that PROC has precious little experience in radar design and has not demonstrated capacity through previous gen systems means they are probably not going to be fielding world beating systems. I wouldn't be surprised if the Y-8 "Balance Beam" is comparable to erieye in terms of classic radar performance (it is clearly physically based on said system), but then again that's hardly MESA is it?

I come across this argument over and over again with emerging powers, "we don't know what the capability of brand new XXX form of tech is but there's no reason it wont be as 'good' as US/EU/Russian (world leaders) equivalent"... The fact is that becoming a world leader in a form of technology isn't a sure thing just because you have the $$$, and doesn't happen overnight. The first time your nation has deployed a system that's domestically developed, without help from outside, its very, very unlikely to be world leading tech.

And what do you mean the vast majority of the PLAAF aircraft being a generation behind?
Remember the USAF has deployed the F-22A in squadron strength, and they are the world leaders.

Current---not future-inventory

76 Su-27s, 28 of whom are capable of using the R-77
All a full generation behind (R-27 equipped flankers are arguably further behind technologically).

105 J-11 and J-11A---which are capable of using the R-77 by the way
R-77 capable makes them almost competitive with AIM-120C5 equipped F-16's. (still a full generation behind the F-22A by the way).

100 Su-30MKK/MK2
Yep a full gen...

24+ J-11B (still in production)
Probably, a full gen, but we'll see.

120 to 150 J-10s (still in production, now heading into a new model)
Guess what? A full gen!

150+ JH-7As and JH-7s (still in production)
1.5 ~ 2 gens behind...

150+ J-8F/H, these capable of using the PL-12 (still in production)
Again 1.5 to 2 gens.

Already just in the continent, the PLAAF already has the largest inventory of aircraft with active fire and forget missiles. Lets add something to this, that the Flankers and the J-10s also use helmet sights and wide off boresight missiles, which also makes them having the largest inventory of such craft in the region.
See this is the problem with quantitative analysis, it rarely (if every) illustrates real capability, and the fact that you think real world capability is comprised of x number of ARH equipped platforms or y number of HOBS equipped platforms tells me that you dont understand the substance of the argument I'm making (that you are in fact replying too).

All are things that has happened and happening now. 2009. I'm not talking about 2020. Examine if you will the vast changes between PLAAF 1999 vs. PLAAF 2009. Back in 1999 you only got 76 Flankers then that can be considered decent modern. What's going to be how the PLAAF looks like in 2019?
Sure the PLAAF will probably move up my list in 10 years time, it may even make it into the 'global' category. But the PLAAF will not be able to match the Russians or Americans in 10, 20 or even 30 years, in my opinion.

crobato

That's great mate, can you tell me every fighter wing equipped with F-22A's in the USAF? Well until you do I wont consider you fit to comment on 5th gen platforms... :rolleyes:
Irrelevant. We're talking of the PLAAF here.

Really? How many E-3 equivalent AEW platforms have the PLA deployed? The US fields 34, NATO fields a further 18. How many rivet joint esk platforms??? How many proper tankers (not badger conversions)??? The fact is the lack of force multipliers (and by that i don't just mean tankers and AEW) is a significant constraining factor for the PLAAF, and the IAF, compared to the Russians or USAF.
Excuse me, but you are grouping the entire NATO into one group as it is one country. How many countries are there in NATO and tell me how do you intend to share those platforms?

I can tell you that the PLAAF has two flights of KJ-2000s. At least that is 8, but this isn't the end of the production line. In addition there is probably a flight of KJ-200s. As for SIGINT/ELINT platforms, they do exist among the Y-8GX variants, but the numbers are not discernible. There is also a number of planes disguised in civil garb but act as ELINT platforms. We're talking of regiments here that collectively keep, maintain and fly the Y-8GX variations into one place. And like I said, these include not just AEW, but also ground ISR, ELINT, SIGINT, ECW, and C31.

Well even the Swedes deployed an active phased array based AEW platform in the 90's, simply putting and AESA on a Y-8 hardly world leading. Pluss the fact that PROC has precious little experience in radar design and has not demonstrated capacity through previous gen systems means they are probably not going to be fielding world beating systems. I wouldn't be surprised if the Y-8 "Balance Beam" is comparable to erieye in terms of classic radar performance (it is clearly physically based on said system), but then again that's hardly MESA is it?
How do you define world leading? The PRC does have radar experience that goes back at least to the eighties. They have learned pretty quick to produce what they have---multimode fighter radars with GMTI already started appearing before the turn of the decade; antiship missile seekers using spread spectrum; search radars with pulse compression as early as the 90s.

The PRC didn't know much about telecommunications before the 2000s, and now two of their companies are in the world cutting edge of telecommunications technologies and are doing 4G contracts.

They're able to radar map the moon for god sakes. That would have required a Ka band AESA with SAR; you need the GaAs for radiation hardening against cosmic radiation.

I come across this argument over and over again with emerging powers, "we don't know what the capability of brand new XXX form of tech is but there's no reason it wont be as 'good' as US/EU/Russian (world leaders) equivalent"... The fact is that becoming a world leader in a form of technology isn't a sure thing just because you have the $$$, and doesn't happen overnight. The first time your nation has deployed a system that's domestically developed, without help from outside, its very, very unlikely to be world leading tech.
They did get their help from outside, the fundamentals are learned from the eighties to the early nineties. all stemming back from graduates from Russian universities. Today a lot of the fundamentals can even be found in open source. You think countries cannot send their students abroad to study in the best engineering universities. You think corporations don't come in and invest into joint ventures, and thereby teach or license various dual use technologies?

This company for example, is a leading source of SAW components, and this is a fundamental component in radars. This company tops in my list as those that can manufacture an AESA module due to published papers from engineers connected to that institute.

http://www.ndsaw.com/

Remember the USAF has deployed the F-22A in squadron strength, and they are the world leaders.
We're only talking about the PLAAF here.

All a full generation behind (R-27 equipped flankers are arguably further behind technologically).
Nope. These Su-27s and J-11s are photographically confirmed to have R-77s, and media confirmed as well (go talk to Jane's Missile news editor, Robert Hewson).

R-77 capable makes them almost competitive with AIM-120C5 equipped F-16's. (still a full generation behind the F-22A by the way).
That's still better than most countries that still don't have AMRAAM, or carry the C5 or earlier versions of AMRAAM. In addition, the PRC does manufacture the PL-12, which they believe is better than the R-77. They don't rely on a fixed quota of slammers.

1.5 ~ 2 gens behind...
I would say the J-10 is competitive to any 4 and 4.5 generation aircraft that is packing a MSA. It certainly has HMS and ARH missiles. They're already testing the next main variant of the J-10 by the way, if you didn't catch Jane's following up on the news reported on the forums. Do note and you can see it visually, that the radome bulkhead of the plane is canted this time.

As for the JH-7A, it does have stand off missile capability, not just antiship missiles. Similarly to the Su-30MKK, we're talking of SLAM and SLAM-ER type missiles, basically YJ-83 converts with an electro-optical seeker using image contrast recognition. The range is better than the Kh-59ME (at least 180km vs. 115km).

See this is the problem with quantitative analysis, it rarely (if every) illustrates real capability, and the fact that you think real world capability is comprised of x number of ARH equipped platforms or y number of HOBS equipped platforms tells me that you dont understand the substance of the argument I'm making (that you are in fact replying too).
If you got force multipliers but sending fighters without ARH, without HOBs against fighters that do, is just vectoring fighters to their doom anyway.

Sure the PLAAF will probably move up my list in 10 years time, it may even make it into the 'global' category. But the PLAAF will not be able to match the Russians or Americans in 10, 20 or even 30 years, in my opinion.
I'm not trying to compare this with the US who has an airforce still at least five times the budget. But the Russians? Why don't you go ahead and tell me how many ARH ready aircraft they currently have, then match that to their operability rates.

I'm debating you about this stereotype that the PLAAF is nothing more than a vast antique MiG-21 force with little force multipliers. Far from it. Their modern aircraft alone currently is more than enough to be a separate air force on their own, and they have a growing number of force multipliers.