South Korean navy ship sunk by North?

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
HOW REGULAR MUST I REPEAT MYSELF
i won't do it again
but i never said that you can't comprehend the English language
i got a Distinction in the last English exam i took
English language aside, you're still being asked to provide sources illustrating how you came to hold your views. If you don't have a specific source, why not expand on the thought process behind your opinions? For example, in a previous post you mentioned that you don't think South Korea's aircraft will get off the ground in the event of a confrontation with the North - maybe you could elaborate on why you hold this point of view?

Such a statement as the one mentioned above can be construed as rather... dire, and people are naturally going to want sources so they can process the information that has brought you to your conclusion, and judge for themselves if said conclusion is warranted. If you can't give them a source, then expanding your post to include your logic and reasoning can sometimes be enough to get your ideas across sufficiently for the purposes of discussion. However claims that are particularly unusual or of major importance to your central point should always be backed up with sources upon request - it helps keep the discussion grounded and informed.

Not trying to talk down to you or anything, just offering some advice. :)

syncro

It was my understanding NK had masses of special forces commandos waiting to cross the border and wreak havoc in SK if hostilities were to break out.

I can't imagine actual war breaking out - not worth it for either side. SK especially has too much to loose and too little to gain.

Does NK really have the capacity to take and hold the peninsula? SK's GDP output is too far beyond IMO, NK would run out of steam if they tried to march south until they hit blue. Anything the North does the South can match.

jenflwwrs5

Who are NK kidding? do they really think that the world will stand for an act of agression again?

This is not the 1950's; and they will get there backsides kicked!

swerve

Super Moderator
It was my understanding NK had masses of special forces commandos waiting to cross the border and wreak havoc in SK if hostilities were to break out. ....
Notionally, about 100,000 IIRC - but a poor country with 20-odd million people doesn't really have 100,000 troops trained & equipped to the level of Western special forces.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
And you assume that the named dirt poor country with 20 million inhabitants is able to raise 180.000 special forces which are better trained than what the rest of the world has to offer?

I expect you are not going to last very long here but I try a last time and ask you for sources.

You make alot of claims which sound rather fantastic but don't deliver a single usefull source.

The only thing you came up with was an article from globalsecurity which even condradicts your own claims.

But hey, maybe you get royals by the NK state media...

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Not that many on this board are Americans.

You have mostly been discussing with Germans, British, Danes, Australians, South Koreans...

Btw, you should consider your inappropriate use of the concept of the analogy and how it creates your tunnel vision. ;)

You assume that we're not informed and that you have seen the light!

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
OMFG no offense but do u guys live under a rock
i mean none of u gave sources about where you get your info, do you?
No, I don't live under a rock, but lets look at a few facts the shall we? Gulf War 2, the 300,000 odd coalition forces faced Saddams 375,000 troops (out of 538,000 combatants). The war essentially lasted 3 weeks, the coalition lost 139 KIA, Iraq lost somewhere between 7,600 - 45,000 depending on what source you believe. So here we have recent proof that the US military can comprehensively defeat an equally sized adversary. The equipment the Iraqi's used would be comparable to the North Korean equipment. You are the one making outlandish claims, the onus is on you to provide proof.

but i guess u beleive each other because most of the post is like north korea armyy is crap.
Nobody has said that. But when compared to an advanced networked military such as the US or the South Korean army the North Korean Army is going to look a tad less than impressive.

etx American can take on the world in conventional warfare and win and still a rag tag insurgency is giving your trouble
Yes, simply because it is the most difficult form of warfare to 'win'. The type of battle being discussed on this board is conventional warfare - given that the US seems quite adept at winning that type of battle (Guf war I, Gulf War II), your remarks are not relevant.

u know what lets leave it as this America is the best they can beat everyone the ranger,navy seals and green berets have the best training and equipment in the world they have the best aircraft.
Actually I don't agree. I believe there are other nations that have superior trained if not equipped militaries (then again I may be biassed being an Aussie) - but you cannot argue that the US defence forces are not the most potent military on the planet given their size, equipment and the fact they are relatively well trained.

also i don't care if i last long here this is not something necessary in the life i won't lose any sleep over it.
All we are asking for is that you substatiate your claims... Is that so hard?

once what i say is too good to be true for you guys it is usually fake i have a daily briefing on north korea every day thats how i know what i know maybe you are receiving royalties from the west
Daily briefing from whom? What nationality are you? Where do yu live? Are you in the military? I am not receiving 'royalties', but I do have a defence background, and have taken particular interest in the Korean war as I used to be part of Kapyong Company at Duntroon.

North korean soilder are more disciplined that USA and ROK thats a fact
Possibly - discipline is not the be all and end all of soldiering. There is also the small matters of training, morale, equipment etc. Sometimes you need to know when to disobey an order to be a more effective sodier.

i am just trying to open up your tunnel vision that you have but most people here like to live with the fantasy that USA is the strongest but if a war was to break out then i guess you guys would be surprised you anticipate too much
And Saddam said much the same I believe in the early days of 2003. Then they pulled him out of a hole in the ground 9 months later where he had been living like a rat.

The thing about forums is that hardly anyone who knows the subject actually posts
you sure your a Defense Professional / Analyst i highly doubt it you don't show the characteristics of a Defense Professional / Analyst you assume way to much
There are quite a few who are defence professionals on this board. There are topics which they cannot elaborate on and those they can. So far the professionals haven't taken your side. If you are a defence professional, PM one of the moderators with evidence and they will change your status and be able to tell us that perhaps you are not a 13 year old fanboi and that you do have the credentials to back your assertations..

Grand Danois

Entertainer
No, I don't live under a rock, but lets look at a few facts the shall we? Gulf War 2, the 300,000 odd coalition force..s
... of which 80-100k were actual boots on the ground.

Of course, then the U.S. was also faced with "fanatical, determined forces"...

swerve

Super Moderator
... The equipment the Iraqi's used would be comparable to the North Korean equipment. ....
Actually, rather better. In 1991, the Iraqis had more modern equipment, on average, than North Korea has now. They had a bigger & more sophisticated AD system, more & better tanks, etc., etc. The only area in which the Iraqi army wasn't materially superior to the current N. Korean army was artillery.

justone

Banned Member
Actually, rather better. In 1991, the Iraqis had more modern equipment, on average, than North Korea has now. They had a bigger & more sophisticated AD system, more & better tanks, etc., etc. The only area in which the Iraqi army wasn't materially superior to the current N. Korean army was artillery.
Iraqi had modern equipment I will agree with that. But Iraqi training sucks and they was not well equiped. Like I said before do not under estimate the N Korean military. Some countries have modern equipment but do not have proper training with the equipment. The educational level of the soldiers mean alot to. The same way the S. Korean train with martial art and other ways the N Korean also do that to. The N Korean doesn't have modern equipment they know how to maintain the equipment that a big different in that. The Iraqis could not handle the modern equipment

lopez

Iraqi had modern equipment I will agree with that. But Iraqi training sucks and they was not well equiped. Like I said before do not under estimate the N Korean military. Some countries have modern equipment but do not have proper training with the equipment. The educational level of the soldiers mean alot to. The same way the S. Korean train with martial art and other ways the N Korean also do that to. The N Korean doesn't have modern equipment they know how to maintain the equipment that a big different in that. The Iraqis could not handle the modern equipment
not all of the iraqis were hopeless...

eg the republican gaurd, and even when facing these guys the coalition outclassed them.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
HOW REGULAR MUST I REPEAT MYSELF
i won't do it again
but i never said that you can't comprehend the English language
i got a Distinction in the last English exam i took
Seriously?

The first sentence that you made in upper case shows that your Distinction never took grammatical correctness into account....

ahfukor

I was thinking a torpedo/mine or accident when i first saw the story of the sinking of the RoK vessel.

After reading the above posts,i thought of another possible scenario.Could a Bomb have been smuggled onto the ship by spies ect, then detonated (like an IED) with a timer or remote control?

Regards
Everything is possible, I can't say your thinking is wrong. Justing from the resports made from that ROK that the cause of damage of vessel is explosion at the bottom of it leaving a hole under the water, the attack is from outside not from a Bomb from inside the ship.

dingyibvs

I will agree with you on that China will act as peacekeeping force. Things can change if you paid attention to China they can change there way fast. Don't count North Korea out yet. All I can tell you if war break out there be lots of deaths not like the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan . This been been going on and off between North and South Korea for years. North Korean are not punks they will hit back if South hit them. I'm praying that North and South Korea don't have a conflict. China really dont a war yet because it modernize it armed forces. I disagree about the North Korea pilots the only thing that I think that hurt them is the sauctions. China is assist them in low profile in other words not letting the world know they are assist the N. Korea. N. Korea is getting to the point of no return let pray they dont become hopelessness on there part. A Korean War again will be a different war than in 1953 but will result more deaths than the Iraq and Afganistan War N. Korean have a discipline army and they can maintain there tank and aircrafts dont forget that.
It won't just be the North Koreans you have to deal with either, China will be overtly involved as well. The fact is that most Chinese people simply don't believe an investigation conducted solely by the U.S. and its allies, especially when the Chinese government and even some other independent investigations(like the U. of Manitoba one) cast doubt on the results. An U.S./SK/Japanese attack on NK will be overwhelmingly viewed as an act of aggression with an aim to contain China over there, and there would be extremely high pressure on their government to act strongly. Some have suggested that China would only be involved to alleviate the refugee situation, but that's simply wishful thinking.