South Korean navy ship sunk by North?

BK101

I’m a military junkie, however, I have little time to do research about certain subjects, and I have a few humble questions for you guys that know a lot more than I do.
I noticed that N. Korea and S. Korea have pretty much cut ties from each other when it comes to trade, and N. Korea said that any action by the south would be interpreted as a act of war.
The South has cut trade ties with the North completely, and I understand that the South is the North’s number 2 trading partner.
My questions are; if things got bad enough, and the North felt like it had to attack the South……
1. How would the South fare against the North in an air attack?
2. How well could the South defend itself on a ground attack?
3. Do you think the North would ever use biological, or Nuclear weapons?
4. If they did, what would be the response and out come?

I apologize if my questions seem stupid to most of you, but please realize that I don’t know as much as most of you…

Cheers!

Toby

hey

firstly there wont be a war due to economic and political reasons i will explain if you want

as for a hypothetical war you will get different opinions one of the best things to do is have a read of some papers id ask oppssg for that although we disagree he has alot of resources.

in my opinion which isnt professional per se although i am going onto study military history i am no way the level of a defence anaylist they will be good at answering your question
however i like to think i know what im going on about, and you will get conflicting opinions

point 1

i think the south would fair well against north air attacks if they responded in time
the north has alot of planes but the south has the ability in my opinion to defend itself
due to the fact the souths air defence is modern and advanced and so are her planes
although the north might do some damage due to the amount of planes they could send over in a short time doubt they could co ordinate it well enough and their pilots arent well trained,

2 it depends on tons of variables
firstly the morale of the norths armed forces and their equipment and readiness we have little information on all of them , although i believe the north are fanatical and would perform well with infiltration in depth and asymmetrical warfare ( if the north starts to lose they could use a defence in depth) but i think there more suited to defence and attritional warfare rather than like a massive thrust i dont think they could conquer the south on their own but merely get terms.
also the souths willingness to fight a south korean on this forum was talking about the moral of the sk army and it seems low, the issue is you can have all the shiney equipment in the world but if you dont have the will to fight its not usefull (however if you get invaded that could change)
it would depend on the will to fight by either side

3, YES ( i dont think they have nuclear capability but they will have biological weapons its one of the norths only advantages, they might consider the international response but they overstep the mark alot anyway so they might push it that one last time,)

4, i imagine it would put the north in a difficult situation it could warrant international response i think china would struggle to defend its ally politically if they did that and i don't think china could actively honour there alliance with the north if the west decided to send it military forces due to the fact china would appear to be on the side of the aggressor and her spin doctors would struggle to make it acceptable. and the north wouldn't be able to win at all with united states support for the south ,

although i believe if a war broke out there would be negations and the chinese would send forces as a un peacekeeping force as they are the third biggest stakeholder in a second korean war.

Ibizan Hound

Banned Member
YONHAP NEWS said:
S. Korea on alert as N. Korean subs disappear in East Sea

SEOUL, May 26 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's military was tracking four North Korean submarines which disappeared from their east coast base after conducting naval training in the East Sea earlier this week, a military official in Seoul said Wednesday.

Locations of the North's four 300-ton-class submarines have been unknown for two days, the military official said, noting, "We are tracking the four submarines by mobilizing all naval capabilities in the East Sea."

The submarines left the Chaho base located near the Musudan-ri missile launch pad site in North Hamgyong province in North Korea's northeast coast, according to the official.
YONHAP NEWS

Cool what do ya'll think of this?

justone

Banned Member
although i believe if a war broke out there would be negations and the chinese would send forces as a un peacekeeping force as they are the third biggest stakeholder in a second korean war.[/QUOTE]

I will agree with you on that China will act as peacekeeping force. Things can change if you paid attention to China they can change there way fast. Don't count North Korea out yet. All I can tell you if war break out there be lots of deaths not like the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan . This been been going on and off between North and South Korea for years. North Korean are not punks they will hit back if South hit them. I'm praying that North and South Korea don't have a conflict. China really dont a war yet because it modernize it armed forces. I disagree about the North Korea pilots the only thing that I think that hurt them is the sauctions. China is assist them in low profile in other words not letting the world know they are assist the N. Korea. N. Korea is getting to the point of no return let pray they dont become hopelessness on there part. A Korean War again will be a different war than in 1953 but will result more deaths than the Iraq and Afganistan War N. Korean have a discipline army and they can maintain there tank and aircrafts dont forget that.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
If

If a conflict did break out between north and south and the Americans did get involved, what (if any) would be the potential Australian response to the situation, I would assume we are pretty far stretched at the moment, so more than likely a diplomatic role ? But as we have all said, rather nothing happen at all and a peacefull solution is found. Are America and South still looking at doing the naval exercises as well ?

Last edited:

Toby

for starters though i sincerily doubt there will be a war north korea cant guarantee a victory and neither can the south it would be two risky and would wreck stockmarkets as seen with the south korean markets going down a few points a day last time i saw (also attributed to eurozone crisis which is having an effect in all markets)

they only get like 7 hours of flight time a year according to some sources they dont have enough fuel to fly their planes
the only pilots they have anything near enough hours are the mig 29/23 pilots and theres not many of them

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Toby, not trying to pick on you but you may want to fact check your posts and use complete sentences. Especially, if you want other forum members to take your posts more seriously.

There are too many errors in the last few posts by various members for me to want to bother to explain or construct a post to correct them. May I suggest that justone and Chief of staff also review your posts (because some of it contains errors and there are also parts that I really can't make sense of).

they only get like 7 hours of flight time a year according to some sources they dont have enough fuel to fly their planes
the only pilots they have anything near enough hours are the mig 29/23 pilots and theres not many of them
While I agree that the N. Korean pilots have less flying hours in comparative terms, there a quite a few of them. In actual fact, the N. Koreans with 655 combat aircraft (ranked 4th in terms fighter fleet in the world) have a larger fleet than the S. Koreans with 541 combat aircraft (ranked 9th in terms fighter fleet in the world). These are from Dec 2009 Flight International figures. Let me list a few of the fighters in their inventory:

F-5........... 129
F-6............. 98
F-7........... 180
H-5............. 80
MiG-21...... 27
MiG-23...... 56
MiG-29...... 40
Su-7........... 30
Su-25......... 34

The N. Korean problem is the old age and poor quality of their fleet, on top of inadequate training. So you can't say that there's not enough of them.

When we post, we can all make mistakes but guys (Toby, justone and Chief of staff), take care not to mislead others with basic factual errors. I also have had my errors pointed out to me too. Try to treat mistakes as an opportunity to get to learn more from others in the forum. :)

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
The N. Korean problem is the old age and poor quality of their fleet, on top of inadequate training. So you can't say that there's not enough of them.
I believe he meant not enough MiG-23 & MiG-29s - the only aircraft with pilots who get enough flying hours.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
@swerve, as usual, thanks... That's one way of making sense of his post.

OPSSG
What is so difficult to understand about my post?
Example from your post:

"1.)Well it could hold it's own but the north can launch an attack anywhere in south Korean in under 30mins."​

"30 mins" does it even make sense? Once, I can't understand the first point you are making, I would not bother to read on.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meanwhile, in other news related to the torpedo attack on South Korean warship, it was announced that 'North Korea to scrap pact preventing clash with South Korea'.

Meaning the aircraft could reach anywhere in in south korea in less than 30mins
And what would be the 9th largest fighter fleet in the world be doing (numbers and breakdown given in prior posts)?

Three further questions:

(i) Does S. Korea have an IADS?
(ii) Does the USAF provide AWAC support?
(iii) You mean the very old and outdated N. Korean fleet can fly everywhere they want over S. Korea?​

In the context of my above questions, the point you make still does not make sense to me, without further clarification. BTW, I'm also not saying the I agree with the rest of your post. I just make no comment on them.

Cheers and enjoy posting.

Last edited:

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
ah my bad i will edit my first post the can reach Seoul in about 6 to 10 minutes because of a redeployment

it would be a surprise attack if a war broke out missile strike would hit South Korean airfields and SAM sites artillery would hit military locations in the south that are within reach special forces would also mobilize assassinating high ranking officials in the military.As good as South Korean air force is North Korea have the world most dense air defense system for a non-superpower
How do you think South Korea would go defensively in terms of repelling a North Korean air attack? Sheer numbers aren't going to do it - they have to be able to find their targets, deliver their payloads, and counter the South's defensive systems. What options do you think the North has with which to deal with these conditions? I'm not saying one way or the other how it would go - but this is the sort of thing that should be considered in one's posts and discussed. :)

edit: Sorry, I just saw your edits in your post up above, don't mean to tell you things you've already considered!

swerve

Super Moderator
... North Korea has the world most dense air defense system for a non-superpower
Indeed, but the AA guns won't reach S. Korean aircraft unless they choose to fly down in the dirt, & most of the SAMs are like most of the N. Korean aircraft: obsolete, & easily defeated.

lopez

The South Korean aircraft would have to fly low if the want to take out the North's bunkers also the North have fake artillery emplacements to confuse enemy bombing aircraft
Basically every possibly scenario and idea we here can come up with the North have probably think about it already.North Korea fights the quickest type of warfare i know of. Placing emphasis on overwhelming firepower and speed if a war was to break out all aspects would have to be considered but timing is most important,right now the weather in South Korea isn't in the North's favor.In the war both sides would be using forms of electronic warfare but one side is more susceptible to electronic warfare
fly low???

im not so sure about that...

Toby

theres a new north korea vs south maybe we should move the hypothetical stuff to there and keep this for updates on the real situation

swerve

Super Moderator
The South Korean aircraft would have to fly low if the want to take out the North's bunkers
No they wouldn't. They can use PGMs from medium to high altitude, where N. Korean guns can't reach them. North Korean fighters will be swept from the sky very quickly, & N. Korean SAMs are almost all obsolete.

i have my ways of information ...
The standard response to that is 'put up or shut up'. Anyone can claim to have secret information. The usual rule is that those who know don't tell, & those who tell don't know. Unless you provide some evidence for your claims, you will be universally considered to be lying.

Now, tell us - how do you know what you claim to know?

Toby

i know i said lets move this to other one but there's two things I'm curious of we know that north koreas air defense is obsolete but the seemingly obsolete 2k12 kubs managed to down an f16 in bosnia i think it was
and a f117 was downed in Yugoslavia by a sa3 and so was another f16.
there are different blocks of f16 and the f117 wasn't particularly maneuverable but it does go to show that obsolete equipment can shoot down modern planes (although i think the slam eagles would be fine and if the f16s are a newer block so would they maybe)

secondly in response to cnc
the south Korean planes would most definitely get of the ground , I'm just not sure how effective they could be in effecting the Norths supply lines

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
i know i said lets move this to other one but there's two things I'm curious of we know that north koreas air defense is obsolete but the seemingly obsolete 2k12 kubs managed to down an f16 in bosnia i think it was
and a f117 was downed in Yugoslavia by a sa3 and so was another f16.
We have been around this buoy so many times its not funny. I suggest that you search for F117 on these forums and make the effort to understand the issues and actions which contributed to the F117 shootdown

there are different blocks of f16 and the f117 wasn't particularly maneuverable but it does go to show that obsolete equipment can shoot down modern planes (although i think the slam eagles would be fine and if the f16s are a newer block so would they maybe)
CREF above.

secondly in response to cnc
the south Korean planes would most definitely get of the ground , I'm just not sure how effective they could be in effecting the Norths supply lines
why do you think this is just an air war for the South?

Toby

To gf 10001 i never said it was an air war but that was what the recent people where talking about read my other posts if you want my opinion on a ground war. basicly it goes
defence in depth or infiltration in depth a war of attrition then peace (providing there's no international support.)

if anything i dont think the air war would make much difference unless the usa got involved.

swerve

Super Moderator
i have to question the ability of some readers
can they actually comprehend and have a good command of the English language
i never said i had secret information if people were to research more you would find the same info i do it's on the net, in books and i bet if you talk to some people you also learn about it
You have been asked for sources. You have declined to give them, & strongly implied that you have inside information. You now say that you rely on open sources, i.e. the same sources from which others draw very different conclusions.

I suggest that you give specific examples of your sources, & some justification of your conclusions. You state, for example, that you do not believe that any S. Korean aircraft would get off the ground, but you do not support that assertion in any way, with either facts or reasoning.

BTW, I'm a native English speaker who achieved the highest possible grade in the last English language exam I took, has earned a living turning techno-babble into English comprehensible to mortals, & is qualified to teach English. :D