Saudi Arabia & Russia Sign Military Cooperation Agreement

jaffo4011

What a battle winning idea - lets add Russian air defence instructure into US developed Peace Shield air defence network...

Almost as bright an idea as adding British Racal Radios to Saudi M1A2 Abrams...
yes,it would have made more sense to have purchased challenger 2's in the first place....

Blue Streak

Banned Member
yes,it would have made more sense to have purchased challenger 2's in the first place....
As a fellow Brit, it would have been a lovely export order. But whether it's the best choice for the RSLF is most debatable.

Oman are struggling with their 18...

SaudiArabian

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i'm not sure why such media hoaxes are increasing from Russian military news sources. KSA does test weapons from several nations , including Russia , on its soil here but that doesn't mean a deal will go through.

i'd look at these news as a tool of pressure or a card used by Saudi Arabia to put pressure on the American and European defense companies to lower their prices. to tell them that KSA can simpley go to different cheap suppliers instead. i remember few months after the rumors of the Saudi-Russian helicopters deal , a deal for helicopters with western suppliers was signed.

knowing these latest news that KSA is interested in the Russian S-400 and that it may sign a deal for it worth billions of $$$ just makes me speculate that soon the US will sell more patriot batteries or THAAD system to Saudi Arabia.

Blue Streak

Banned Member
i'm not sure why such media hoaxes are increasing from Russian military news sources. KSA does test weapons from several nations , including Russia , on its soil here but that doesn't mean a deal will go through.

i'd look at these news as a tool of pressure or a card used by Saudi Arabia to put pressure on the American and European defense companies to lower their prices. to tell them that KSA can simpley go to different cheap suppliers instead. i remember few months after the rumors of the Saudi-Russian helicopters deal , a deal for helicopters with western suppliers was signed.

knowing these latest news that KSA is interested in the Russian S-400 and that it may sign a deal for it worth billions of $$$ just makes me speculate that soon the US will sell more patriot batteries or THAAD system to Saudi Arabia.
The sudden apperance and now very regular Russian Air Force heavy-lifters into Riyadh's King Khalid International Airport may add to the point.

Personally I think they're delivering munitions intended for the Yemen.

Ibizan Hound

Banned Member
The Kingdom and Russia sign agreement

Moscow, July 15, SPA -- Prince Bandar bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz, the Secretary General of the National Security Council, and Russian Premier Vladimir Putin signed here last night a military and technological cooperation agreement between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Russia.

The function was attended by Prince Salman bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz, the Deputy Secretary General of the National Security Council, Saudi ambassador to Russia Ali Jaffar as well as a number of senior Russian officials.

Speaking on the occasion, Putin highlighted the Saudi-Russian relations, and said they are steadily growing.

On his part, Prince Bandar reiterated the keenness of the Custodian of the two Holy Mosques King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz on further cementing Saudi-Russian relations in the political, military, security, cultural and technological domains.

--SPA
saudi Press agency
KSA need to buy smart. Not just plenty of new weapons. KSA knows that the USA isn't a good friend. Therefore KSA should look into purchasing advanced SAM systems, Nuclear submarines advanced Topol-M and such. It's time to phase the F-15s away and seek the Su-34

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
You do realize how little sense you make right? First off the Su-34 is inferior to the F-15E... second off the Topol-M is a nuclear ICBM and can not be sold to Saudi Arabia. Thirdly even nuclear submarines are more then the Saudis will ever need.

nero

S-400

The press release talks about military cooperation, not purchases (although, they will may ensue).

Al-Arabiya news channel reported a couple of hours or so ago that Saudi Arabia was also testing a Russian medium-range air-defense system. It has an English website but it didn't say anything about it. I just saw it on their Arabic channel though.

let me tell you the inside news brother. KSA is actually interested the S-400triumf/sa-21-growler.talks are being held at an advanced stage , if all goes well KSA will sign the deal by the end of 2010.

P.S: just a minor correction brother, KSA in interested in long-range air-defence systems & not medium range ones.

Black Knight

let me tell you the inside news brother. KSA is actually interested the S-400triumf/sa-21-growler.talks are being held at an advanced stage , if all goes well KSA will sign the deal by the end of 2010.

P.S: just a minor correction brother, KSA in interested in long-range air-defence systems & not medium range ones.

Can you explain how the RSADF is going to integrate these Russian systems into their NATO-grade air-defence network?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good question. Given that the whole deal so far is rumors, I don't think there are any specifics. Those kinds of details would have to be worked out once some sort of solid deal can be signed.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Russian state officials have commented that 3 contracts have been finalized and handed over to Saudi Arabia for signing, should they choose to. The contracts allegedly involve tanks, aid defense systems, and helicopters.

ÀÐÌÑ-ÒÀÑÑ

This might make Saudi Arabia the first export contract for the S-400, if they get it. This would also be the first major breakthrough on the Saudi market by Russia. And of course would throw a monkey wrench into their maintenance and training.