Propagation of stealth technology and what this means for the US

Spetsznaz

To the poster who brought up the retirement of the SR-71. The plane was retired not because of politics or cost, but because of Satelites. Even back then, 80's, a U.S. spy satellite could take a clear picture of me flipping it off. Also, their have been rumors, can't confirm, that the SR-71 was retired because of the Aurora aircaft (offical aircraft name?)...Flying at Mach 5+.

Forget the F-22/35 and PAK-FA. If you wan't unmatchable stealth, go with an UCAV's package. Stealthier, Loiter longer, Doesn't get tired, pull
s higher G's, .ect. My bet is the X-45/47. Jesus, I would love to know what they are flying now, in the Southwest U.S.
The Aurora Aircraft is a good reason.

But I think the real reason the SR-71 was retired was because, it a serious Gas Guzzler, there were problems with keeping it up in the air long enough for the SR-71 to be able, to conduct a successful operation, in the 90's, when there were more advanced options such as satellites and high speed UAVs

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Aurora Aircraft is a good reason.
What Aurora? Until its seen its spculation. We try to deal with tangibles in here.

But I think the real reason the SR-71 was retired was because, it a serious Gas Guzzler,
Rubbish. The reasons for pulling it from eastern europe and from doing ferret runs over the Soviet Union have been clearly stated. Fuel consumption was not the issue - period.

there were problems with keeping it up in the air long enough for the SR-71 to be able, to conduct a successful operation,
again, absolute rubbish. Do you have any idea how many missions they performed and how long their average missions were? They were up for shifts that were typically 3-4 times longer than other manned LR assets.

in the 90's, when there were more advanced options such as satellites and high speed UAVs
No, make the effort to read what has been said. They were pulled from eastern europe and soviet overflights in the late 70's. they were still running ferrets over china and "other" less robust ADS kitted countries up until the early 80's.

You need to start paying attention to what some of us are saying rather than make things up.

It's not appreciated when your own background has already been declared and you are getting fundamental basic facts patently incorrect.

Manned and controlled aircraft cover areas not available to satellites. The issue was always risk to pilots over professionally and progressively more competent air defence in the SU.

The ferrets were always about risk and benefit.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know about the Aurora, but I think we can safely assume that there is some similar asset that is secret right now. After all only recently we have gotten confirmation about the beast of Qandahar. Before that it "didn't exist" either.

Also, our (or rather my) familiarity with airframe design is not that advanced. Could you elaborate on your point about Chines? The internet seems to think that Chines are part of Flanker design. Does this mean that the Flankers have drastically reduced frontal RCS?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I don't know about the Aurora, but I think we can safely assume that there is some similar asset that is secret right now. After all only recently we have gotten confirmation about the beast of Qandahar. Before that it "didn't exist" either.
The F-117 was spoken about for decades and every commentator and publicist got it wrong. Wrong shape, wrong mission set, wrong size, wrong theory on how it managed its signature emissions. It was operational for 6 years before being publicly displayed.

The B2 was gold for 5 years before anyone saw it or knew about its capability. Every commentator "to a man" got the design wrong

The Bird of Prey was active for 5+ years before anyone saw it and again the company roled it out for a happy snap opportunity.

Aurora has been spoken about by so many people, with such conviction that it appears that they also have failed to recognise that all other LO aircraft commented upon prior to release were singularly and often spectacularly wrong in their technical assessments.

My view is that throwing Aurora into the mix of a debate is just an easy way to fill a conversation rather than deal with non speculative technology sets that are already front and centre. Anyone speaking with such conviction on what the US is fielding is guessing - and it needs to be treated as such.

eg 3 countries have been trialling unmanned 5th generation assets in aust for the last 4 years - I wouldn't even attempt to discuss their roles or designs as I would regard it as dancing around too much.

again, every LO aviation asset that the US has fielded was in service on average for 4 years prior to public release. We can certainly assume that they have something else in the wings, but trying to inject that into current debate as per the current discussion is just guess work.

Spetsznaz

Also, our (or rather my) familiarity with airframe design is not that advanced. Could you elaborate on your point about Chines? The internet seems to think that Chines are part of Flanker design. Does this mean that the Flankers have drastically reduced frontal RCS?
When you say "The beast of Quandahar" if I am not wrong you are refereeing to the RQ-170 Sentinel UAV by the Skunk Works. However there is more proof of realism with the RQ-170 Sentinel UAV than the Aurora.

As for the Chines, I am not sure what you are asking, about the radar Cross section. I have no doubt that the chines in some way, "collaborated" or "Helped" with the Flanker.

I just don't understand how is it that if the Chines were involved:confused: with the flanker, then it would have reduced frontal RCS???

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
When you say "The beast of Quandahar" if I am not wrong you are refereeing to the RQ-170 Sentinel UAV by the Skunk Works. However there is more proof of realism with the RQ-170 Sentinel UAV than the Aurora.

As for the Chines, I am not sure what you are asking, about the radar Cross section. I have no doubt that the chines in some way, "collaborated" or "Helped" with the Flanker.

I just don't understand how is it that if the Chines were involved:confused: with the flanker, then it would have reduced frontal RCS???
Chines as opposed to Chinese (no 'e' on the end). Chines are the flattened areas that blend the fuselage to the wings - in the case of the SR-71, right from the nose to the tail.

I stand corrected on the SR-71's RCS - in terms of radar it was indeed an LO design. (Thanks GF.) However in terms of LO characteristics in other areas, the heating that the airframe was famous for (titanium wasn't it) would leave a fairly impressive IR signature. I suppose that was offset to great extent by the sheer altitude the lead sled operated at..

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
He meant chines, not "Chinese", but I understand your confusion. However, would you please stop making unsubstantiated assertions in your posts? First it was that the Mig-31 rendered the Blackbird obsolete, then you changed your tune and said it was retired due to fuel consumption, that idea was shot down too and now you're saying the Chinese aided the design of the SU-27?

I don't mean for this to sound rude, it's good that you want to be an active member of the community, but can you please think about what you're saying a bit more before you post?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
The F-117 was spoken about for decades and every commentator and publicist got it wrong. Wrong shape, wrong mission set, wrong size, wrong theory on how it managed its signature emissions. It was operational for 6 years before being publicly displayed.
Really? I was under the impression that the F-117 was first operational ~1982 but not publically revealed until 1990, and that it's mission set did not become known until Desert Storm.

I do still wish that it's designation would get changed from the F-117 Nighthawk to the A-n or A-nn Nighthawk, along with the F-35 Lightning II to be redesignated the F/A-35 Lightning II. Then again, that might just be me...

Something which should likely be kept in mind with respect to LO technology and development, is what sort of facilities can effectively test these developments and where are they located. AFAIK most of the pole testing facilities are located within the US, but there are alternatives. IIRC a potential alternate test method, using an anechoic chamber in Spain, was done with a mockup of the proposed Japanese 5th Gen fighter when Japan was expressing interest in purchasing the F-22 Raptor from the US. I suppose that the test results could be calculated in computer modeling, but I suspect that would requite significant computing power, as well as sufficient starting data to input into the underlying test framework.

-Cheers

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just out of curiosity, does the F-22 and F-35 fall into the same LO basket of being hidden for 5 years? Certainly not the F-35, but are you by chance suggesting that the F-22 was operational for several years before officially recognized? Iirc the Bird of Prey never saw a serial production run.

Thanks for the clarification on the chines, Marc. And Spetznaz I was indeed referencing the RQ-170 Sentinel. The point I was making is that we can be confident that there are other things which we have yet to see.

Kilo 2-3

In regards to the original topic on non-US LO tech and its implications for the US.

Are potential Chinese and Russian platforms like the PAK-FA and the J-XX real threats to the U.S? It seems to me like a "bird in the hand if worth two in the bush." The US has the F-22 and is about to get the F-35, while the other two aircraft seem to be having a rather sluggish development.

And when the two finally do get operational, will Russian and Chinese LO be good enough to be more than just a hindrance to Western warfighters? I don't deny that even marginal RCS reduction makes life harder for adversaries, but will Eastern LO actually be competitive?

If it is, it would be a major threat. Western doctrine seems to rely heavily on AWACs, so adversary LO seems to me to be a very, very frightening prospect.

Maybe Western EW could try jamming the PAK-FA's and J-XX's radars or their JCI channels? It might be a good way to obtain a mission kill on an otherwise hard-to-find-and-destroy threat.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
In regards to the original topic on non-US LO tech and its implications for the US.

Are potential Chinese and Russian platforms like the PAK-FA and the J-XX real threats to the U.S? It seems to me like a "bird in the hand if worth two in the bush." The US has the F-22 and is about to get the F-35, while the other two aircraft seem to be having a rather sluggish development.

And when the two finally do get operational, will Russian and Chinese LO be good enough to be more than just a hindrance to Western warfighters? I don't deny that even marginal RCS reduction makes life harder for adversaries, but will Eastern LO actually be competitive?

If it is, it would be a major threat. Western doctrine seems to rely heavily on AWACs, so adversary LO seems to me to be a very, very frightening prospect.

Maybe Western EW could try jamming the PAK-FA's and J-XX's radars or their JCI channels? It might be a good way to obtain a mission kill on an otherwise hard-to-find-and-destroy threat.
Look at it in the context of the warfighting force as a whole. This means integrated air, land, sea and space assets. Personally speaking I'd think the best way to defeat an enemy's LO aircraft (or any air asset for that matter) would be while they're on the ground, not in the air. Why target an LO fighter in the air when you can hit its runways, supply lines, support structure and non-LO support assets (air to air refuellers etc)? The more damaged these targets become, the less utility the combat platform holds. So if that were the objective, then the capability to prosecute comprehensive strikes against a logistics and support network (in whatever form, be it cruise missiles from naval platforms, special forces insertion, air strikes with your own supported LO assets or more likely a combination of all three arranged so as to provide synergies with one another) becomes more relevant. As always, I'm happy to stand corrected on this if I'm making any big assumptions or errors.

You ask if Eastern LO will be competitive to Western, and it very well might be, although it's impossible to say without knowing anything about the respective programs and their requirements. However as I said above I think it's relevant to think about it in the context of a nation's ability to wage war rather than just win dogfights. But that's another discussion entirely, and one that becomes rather volatile when it comes to East/West comparisons. :)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're absolutely right. It's a matter of choosing the best center of gravity to attack. The problem is that in modern wars it's faster to destroy the planes, then their support structures. Granted destroying on the ground is preferrable to destroying them in the air.

Additionally I would like to note doctrinal issues. Russian military doctrine relegates the US, NATO, and China, to nuclear deterrence. In other words the PAK-FA does not expect to face the F-22 or F-35, other then in sales pitches to third parties. ;) Within the context of air superiority in the FSU, and third world, the PAK-FA's LO will be more then enough, granted that it's biggest opponents will be Soviet-era SAMs and fighter jets.

Which raises the question of whether the propagation of LO tech even matters for the US, in a geo-strategic sense. To be honest, I think not. On the tactical level it will require introduction of new systems and tactics to deal with it, but geo-strategically the balance of power will shift for reasons that have nothing to do with the propagation of signature management technology.

Kilo 2-3

Bonza, Feanor. I'm in total agreement with both of you.

Bonza, your point about the involvement of a larger system is excellent and very pertinent. You are right about the need to think at the system, rather than the single aircraft level.

Feanor, you bring up a very interesting point regarding the grander strategic and political issues at work. It will be interesting to see what the US's response will be to spreading LO technologies.

Last edited:

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're absolutely right. It's a matter of choosing the best center of gravity to attack. The problem is that in modern wars it's faster to destroy the planes, then their support structures. Granted destroying on the ground is preferrable to destroying them in the air.

Additionally I would like to note doctrinal issues. Russian military doctrine relegates the US, NATO, and China, to nuclear deterrence. In other words the PAK-FA does not expect to face the F-22 or F-35, other then in sales pitches to third parties. ;) Within the context of air superiority in the FSU, and third world, the PAK-FA's LO will be more then enough, granted that it's biggest opponents will be Soviet-era SAMs and fighter jets.

Which raises the question of whether the propagation of LO tech even matters for the US, in a geo-strategic sense. To be honest, I think not. On the tactical level it will require introduction of new systems and tactics to deal with it, but geo-strategically the balance of power will shift for reasons that have nothing to do with the propagation of signature management technology.
Excellent post - I hadn't even considered the doctrinal aspects. Cheers for the heads-up :)

You have a good point too about it being easier to destroy planes rather than their support system - I was making the point that static assets are easier to target than dynamic ones. You're right though, why kill the body when you can just cut off the head (preferably while they're sleeping :p).

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not that it's easier to destroy the planes, it's that destroying the support structures takes more time, and will take more time to be felt at the front. Destroying a key oil depot, or pipeline, might take weeks to translate into direct fuel shortages at the airfield. With modern operation tempo this could make it irrelevant in the first place.

The reason I think that the US reaction to the propagation of signal management technology will be non-existant, is because the US has a hefty lead. And there is a time gap between when a technology is adopted domestically, and when it is exported. In other words by the time Russian, or Chinese, LO platforms are available for export the US will not have any difficulties handling them, especially in the hands of some third world country with limited quantities, poor pilot training, and lack of the proper support assets.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not that it's easier to destroy the planes, it's that destroying the support structures takes more time, and will take more time to be felt at the front. Destroying a key oil depot, or pipeline, might take weeks to translate into direct fuel shortages at the airfield. With modern operation tempo this could make it irrelevant in the first place.

The reason I think that the US reaction to the propagation of signal management technology will be non-existant, is because the US has a hefty lead. And there is a time gap between when a technology is adopted domestically, and when it is exported. In other words by the time Russian, or Chinese, LO platforms are available for export the US will not have any difficulties handling them, especially in the hands of some third world country with limited quantities, poor pilot training, and lack of the proper support assets.
Sorry, "easier" was the wrong word. When I said support structures I wasn't referring solely to targets like oil depots but also to the airbases themselves. Runways, fuel and munitions dumps, things like that. You're right in that the targets you're talking about have impacts mostly in the long term, but rendering an airbase unusable puts immediate strain on the enemy's operations within that area and imposes an additional logistics burden on them, whether it be the necessity to operate from more distant airbases (thus requiring additional assets such as air-to-air refuellers, which can themselves be targeted, and limiting the enemy's response times and time on station) or the need to develop alternative airstrips and re-route resources accordingly. Hastily prepared airstrips would, I imagine, make tempting targets themselves, considering their probable lack of appropriate storage facilities for fuel and munitions.

Agreed re the US and signal management. Your point in the previous post about doctrinal issues and the nuclear deterrent is particularly relevant, I hadn't considered before just how unlikely a meeting of the PAK-FA and the F-22 would be - or maybe more accurately, how irrelevant such an encounter would be considering the implied scope of the wider conflict.

Xeon_Laura

I read a completely non fiction book once about warplanes invented with both "chameleon skins" and also LO tech built into them. I wonder if this actually workable in the real world. If so, now there's not only true stealth but also a virtually invulnerable warplane. What do other members think of this concept and does anyone know if it's actually becoming a reality.
they are currently trying that on ground troop soldiers.
as far as warplanes are considered,if being invisible to RADAR and Thermal sights itself is a big achievement with good manuverability u can rule the skies.

Xeon_Laura

Sorry, "easier" was the wrong word. When I said support structures I wasn't referring solely to targets like oil depots but also to the airbases themselves. Runways, fuel and munitions dumps, things like that. You're right in that the targets you're talking about have impacts mostly in the long term, but rendering an airbase unusable puts immediate strain on the enemy's operations within that area and imposes an additional logistics burden on them, whether it be the necessity to operate from more distant airbases (thus requiring additional assets such as air-to-air refuellers, which can themselves be targeted, and limiting the enemy's response times and time on station) or the need to develop alternative airstrips and re-route resources accordingly. Hastily prepared airstrips would, I imagine, make tempting targets themselves, considering their probable lack of appropriate storage facilities for fuel and munitions.
americans can repair their runways or prepare temporary alternate runways in no time if it comes under attack(which in current scenarion is highly impossible)
and also they have F-35s which can take off and land vertically.
as for as fuel and munition dumps are considered, in a permanent air base the fuel and munitions are store in a well protected way below the ground

Kilo 2-3

americans can repair their runways or prepare temporary alternate runways in no time if it comes under attack(which in current scenarion is highly impossible)
and also they have F-35s which can take off and land vertically.
as for as fuel and munition dumps are considered, in a permanent air base the fuel and munitions are store in a well protected way below the ground
Actually runways are harder to repair than you might think. Runway killers like the JP233 dispenser used by the RAF's Tornadoes in Desert Storm mix runway penetrators with small mines, making efforts to repair the craters very hazardous for ground crews. And modern bombs leave very large, deep craters which are very hrad to fill in.

And alternate runways cannot me made overnight. Modern Western jets require long, paved runways. You can't just bulldoze a farmer's field and go fly F-15s. A single well-placed bomb can destroy a runway, so runways are important and highly vulnerable fields.

The loss of runways was a major problem NATO and Soviet planners faced during the Cold War. The Soviets solved it by trying to give all their tactical aircraft a degree of rough field capability (which is why their landing gears are heftier than Western aircraft). NATO addressed this issue through carriers which are effectively mobile floating airfields. Most of NATO's attack aircraft, most notably the Harrier and the Jaguar could operate from highways or short stretches of road.

The F-15X technology demonstrator was an attempt to solve the runway issue, since its canards and thrust vectoring gave it short takeoff capability. Landing back on the cratered runway was a bigger problem. The Germans and the USAF also tested rocket zero-zell gear to allow them to launch F-104 interceptors without a runway. Landing, once again, was not addressed, so if the runways were inop, then it was a one-way trip.

Only the F-35B can operate STOVL/VTOL. This variant is currently only under consideration by the USMC and the RAF and the RAF is considering buying F-35Cs or F-35As instead.

In wartime, forward airbases would be packed with jets and their support vehicles. In high op tempos, corners would be cut, bombs would be moved to the side, fuel bowsers would be working on the flight line, etc. Think a Japanese carrier during Midway....

Pyongyang

Banned Member
There is a big risk new passive radars in the future will be the end of stealth as we know it today...then there will be hard to justify the extra maintenance these platoforms requires....