PAF to get ERIEYE/AEW/AWACS from Sweden

adsH

Re: PAF to induct 60 Gripen jets + awacs into fleet

Aussie Digger said:
South African, Hungarian and Czech purchases of this aircraft have a lot to do with any PAF purchase, when it comes to delivery of the product. Do you think that SAAB would simply stop these customers productions and immediately commence PAF production based on Pakistan's strategic circumstances? If you actually believe this then I feel sorry for you. If PAF acquires the latest version my friend, than the in-service date will be delayed even further. That's all I'll say for the moment, The Pakistani president is in Sweden at present and we'll see if a contract is even signed, all this is merely speculation at this stage as you correctly point out.
yes i agree with you,but why are you feeling sorry for Me, I don't get it !! I NEVER SAID PAF WILL GET THESE AC SOON!!!!!! it was never me Claiming such idiotic things!!! i know there is a que!! please read what i have said on this particular thread !!!!
If you were addressing Feildmarshal then i apologize for saying all this !!

A

Aussie Digger

Sorry ADSH, I was addressing those remarks to FM.

umair

Peace Enforcer
WebMaster said:
I think we need a thread on how is a fighter jet inducted into an airforce(a-z) before we can actually talk about inducting one. :roll
I agree, some of us know more than the rest.And the rest need to know how things actually happen.BTW Gary I happened to have a quick word with a source yesterday, apparently the negotiations between Saab and PAF are complete, and they have been assured somewhat that Swedish politics will be shall I say conducive if they finally select the Grippen.Also PAF has other options it's studying right now so the decision will take sometime.
What I really don't understand is why these newspaper guys are after the Grippen so much?I mean from what I've discussed with my sources and read in various publications(note the net is old), the JF-17 production version's role and capability would be very similar to that of the Grippen.
Same sort of avionics,datalinks, cockpit layout etc and a similar role in the PAF as the Grippren's in the Swedish airforce.The only thing that in my opinion we would want from Sweden are radars and/or an AEW system(btw Mushy did discuss something of the sort,I've been told).

adsH

umair said:
WebMaster said:
I think we need a thread on how is a fighter jet inducted into an airforce(a-z) before we can actually talk about inducting one. :roll
I agree, some of us know more than the rest.And the rest need to know how things actually happen.BTW Gary I happened to have a quick word with a source yesterday, apparently the negotiations between Saab and PAF are complete, and they have been assured somewhat that Swedish politics will be shall I say conducive if they finally select the Grippen.Also PAF has other options it's studying right now so the decision will take sometime.
What I really don't understand is why these newspaper guys are after the Grippen so much?I mean from what I've discussed with my sources and read in various publications(note the net is old), the JF-17 production version's role and capability would be very similar to that of the Grippen.
Same sort of avionics,datalinks, cockpit layout etc and a similar role in the PAF as the Grippren's in the Swedish airforce.The only thing that in my opinion we would want from Sweden are radars and/or an AEW system(btw Mushy did discuss something of the sort,I've been told).

I guess the media it self does not place alot of trust on self made capability so i guess they try and find comfort by looking at other technologies, Umair could it be possible that if once PAF inducts grippens which it might, then erricson might be willing to provide AESA radars to PAF for JF-17. i think there was a similar deal being discussed with Desault.
i don't know but mush's attitude during the negotiations sound and feel funny, its as if he might be trying to bargain with someone first the Media report earlier and now the out right declaration, yet no deal has been signed!! so i guess Grippens might not be the final choice, but it may be one of the strongest contenders.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
umair said:
WebMaster said:
Most of my frustration is due to the fact that the press are invariably irresponsible and throw things into the air for everyone to read. They raise expectations of what is on offer, or when it'scoming when it's apparent that they have no idea how actual processes occurr.

Consequently, every tom, dick and harry goes bananas as they don't question some of the statements.

As I said before, Musharraf isn't going to sweden just to try scandinavian food, he obviously has a purchase in mind - and if that comes off then well and good. The killer on acquistions is always what you get to bring home, how you get to bring it home, how you'll look after it and when you'll get it.

They're all inextricably linked.

adsH

gf0012-aust said:
umair said:
WebMaster said:
Most of my frustration is due to the fact that the press are invariably irresponsible and throw things into the air for everyone to read. They raise expectations of what is on offer, or when it'scoming when it's apparent that they have no idea how actual processes occurr.

Consequently, every tom, dick and harry goes bananas as they don't question some of the statements.

As I said before, Musharraf isn't going to sweden just to try scandinavian food, he obviously has a purchase in mind - and if that comes off then well and good. The killer on acquistions is always what you get to bring home, how you get to bring it home, how you'll look after it and when you'll get it.

They're all inextricably linked.
Gf i was reading some of the Scripts from his interview, i saw very little, in-fact i saw hints of him pointing at grippens as there main AC, i think he's after the AWACS from the swedes. But i see your point too the Media is really irresponsible here.

VICTORA1

Guys,
I just read a quote from the swedish foreign minister in the sweden globe that the swedes would not sell any weapons to pakistan. As for the radar system goes, the minister stated that they will look into it if the platform is considered as a weapon or not.

Soldier

VICTORA1 said:
Guys,
I just read a quote from the swedish foreign minister in the sweden globe that the swedes would not sell any weapons to pakistan. As for the radar system goes, the minister stated that they will look into it if the platform is considered as a weapon or not.
Can you post the link Victora, for people to read who were expecting seven heavens from Sweden just coz they read some irresponsible statements in the newspapers..

P.A.F

Musharraf keen on reforms: Sweden

STOCKHOLM, July 6: President Pervez Musharraf is working purposefully towards reform in Pakistan and in relation to India, said Swedish Foreign Minister on Tuesday.

"I basically had a good impression of him ... He is a very open person with a clear idea of what needs to be done ... to reform his country," Ms Freivalds told reporters after a meeting with the president.

She said the Swedish government had no qualms about meeting a leader who had come to power through a military coup. "We are of the opinion that if we think a political dialogue is possible and can help us influence the development, we'll choose to have the dialogue," the foreign minister said, pointing out that it was also essential if Pakistan and India were to ever start disarming their nuclear weapons or resolve the Kashmir conflict.

"Intense work in this area is going on, and it is important that both parties have the ambition to try to find ... a possibility to start disarming, something that is not even on the table today," Ms Freivalds said.

She was impressed by Gen Musharraf's plans to improve women's rights in his country and in Afghanistan. "He convincingly said that this question is a priority from his point of view, not least from an educational standpoint ... He has introduced (gender) quotas in his parliament and brought a young, female parliamentary representative with him on his trip here," she said.

During their talk on Tuesday, Gen Musharraf and Ms Freivalds also discussed increasing trade between their two countries. The foreign minister, however, insisted that Sweden would not consider selling weapons to Pakistan.

"There is no question of selling them weapons or anything directly related to weapons today," she said. "We have yet to reach that stage" in the negotiations, she added. -AFP

http://www.dawn.com/2004/07/07/nat10.htm

P.A.F

You never know man. it might be a under cover deal :D:

fieldmarshal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

to start of guys, most of defence related news in our media specially papers like jung n dawn r leaks or planted news. So to say that some how our media is after these ac would be very far from the truth.
N y r u guys gettin so hyped up bout somthin which to a certain extent is still in the air.
Who ever says hat the grippen n the jf-17 are similar, have really cracked the joke of the century, by ur comparison as jf-17 is a coply of the f-16, so it rules both the planes out, similarly ppl say that as it is based on the defunt mig-33 so the flanker series of the ac is all so out. the things ppl say just to get noticed is unbelieveable.
N to all u others out there i still stick by the fact that wt ever ac PAF goes for will be inducted before the thunder, all i say is talk is cheap u will see wt i am talkin bout, let the deal go down n ull know bout it all.

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
Thanks mum. Will never talk about inductions without your consent. :roll

I really think that if this deal fails it could be a blessing in disguise for pakistan. We would be forced to induct comparable chinese aircraft and bloster our ground based defences with chinese SAMs. :D:

And dont forget, there is still an option of hi tech aircraft from china in the form of the J-10 or Su-30 with chinese avionics or sumthin lower like J-11. Most chinese aircraft todayare comparable to F-16 A or C in both flying and electronics. So if we buy some of those we could have sumthing like 500 F-16 A with a little improvent. Not bad huh? :eek

BTW why are the gripens being split into 5 squadrons of 12 ac each? Isnt tht a very low strenght? Or is it being used for area defence?

adsH

the swede FM is stating the obvious, Ofcourse the SWEDes don't sell weapons into conflict zones or unstable regions, so they said they would look into matter, and i am sure they would reach to the same conclusion that they reached last time PAF was after weapon systems. infact they would look at IAF purchases and they would compare that what pakistan would be sold would not create and imbalance in the region. i doubt the purchase of gripps and AWACS would make PAF the superior entity, people never realize Swedes have tried to sell weapons to PAF in the past but the US has hindered the sales (not any more). And AS GF said, "Musharraf isn't going to sweden just to try scandinavian food" Musharaf would never of gone to Sweden if he knew his request would of been rejected.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro

Its been a long time since i saw good discussion here.....thts y i dint come back t forum...but now it seems tht dust is again in the air.

Any ways one thing i had confirmed long time ago n i did tell every one tht PAF was lookin for 60 Gripens....but the empty sockets in the inventory are 80..means room for 20 more Jets. They could either be Mirage2000-5 or F-16s from Belgium. PAF can buy 80 Gripens but that doesnt seems like a good idea. May be PAF will buy 20 J-10s. But its still F-16 on top of the list.

Anyways every one keeps talkin abt JF-17 Thunder. Some say its inferior some say it is 4th Gen. Well its actualy both. It is in its mother's womb. Then it would have to be given birth and when it grows up it would be 4th Gen.. But the Prob is JF-17 was not planed as a 4th Gen Plan in the begining. PAF is lookin for help from European Countries to Make it 4th Gen. The 1st JF-17 versions would certainly be inferior...but later version would be greater...n with the help of Europeans n NATO PAF can easily convert JF-17 in to a world class expensive multirole frontline fighter Jet. They can even make it two seater. Hack we even might go for the production of JF-18.
One thing I tell you JF-17 may watch the back of Gripen (if it is inducted) n act like intercepter in the begining but later it will have its own sqdn.
The good thing abt JF-17 is tht it will alaways have room for improvements..n since Mushu is in Sweden he shuld also ask SAAB to look into partnership for improvements of JF-17 in a way tht it can support Gripens in the air war.

On the other many of u guys r rite about this media thing...the make it such a big hipe like the jets r just coming tomorrow....while even the contracts n conditions have not been discussed...but we too have a problem woth our selves...When ever media says PAF is eyeing JAS-39 Gripen we believe that PAF is going to buy n they have got the deal..we too misinterpret the news.

P.A.F

isn't it a good idea if we discuss this WHEN WE GET THE GRIPENS rather the disscussing WHILE WE WAIT. :?

Oqaab

fieldmarshal said:
Who ever says hat the grippen n the jf-17 are similar, have really cracked the joke of the century, by ur comparison as jf-17 is a coply of the f-16, so it rules both the planes out, similarly ppl say that as it is based on the defunt mig-33 so the flanker series of the ac is all so out. the things ppl say just to get noticed is unbelieveable.
No need to get too exited dude.

BTW, Swedish use to compare their Gripen with F-16 block 60/62+. So Gripen is more or less, a copy too.

P.A.F

but i thought the gripens where made before those F-16's

lalith prasad

Banned Member

someone here said that sweden would not sell weapons in a conflict zone well india is also in the conflict zone then how come sweden is considering selling india bofors howitzer.