New major military powers

Status
Not open for further replies.

swerve

Super Moderator
No body discounted russia, for your information.

only people said that apart from russia there r other contenders as well.

take the example of malaysia for example. very quietly malaysia is building up a modern military, capable of taking on big powers like india & the whole south-east asia region. case in point is the acquisition of MKM air superiority fighter.

Capable of taking on India? Really? I think you should compare numbers. How many Su-30MKM is Malaysia buying, & how many Su-30MKI is India buying? IIRC India is going to have about a 10:1 superiority in that one type.

T-95

Capable of taking on India? Really? I think you should compare numbers. How many Su-30MKM is Malaysia buying, & how many Su-30MKI is India buying? IIRC India is going to have about a 10:1 superiority in that one type.
LOL, I was just going to say that. Malaysia can't take on China or India. The US says it would be hard for it to take on China.

XaNDeR

It depends on the type of conflict , India or China would have a major disadvantage of trying to attack malasya , but still nobody is talking how strong they are at the moment , we are talking about new major military powers and every country that is modernizing military fast , raising military budget fast , and its economy is growing fast i think deserves to have a potential to be a strong military power in the future , at the moment at around 20-40 years ahead i can only see India and China to achieve that , but given more years ahead i can see other country's that could potentialy become very strong :)

T-95

It depends on the type of conflict , India or China would have a major disadvantage of trying to attack malasya , but still nobody is talking how strong they are at the moment , we are talking about new major military powers and every country that is modernizing military fast , raising military budget fast , and its economy is growing fast i think deserves to have a potential to be a strong military power in the future , at the moment at around 20-40 years ahead i can only see India and China to achieve that , but given more years ahead i can see other country's that could potentialy become very strong :)
Malaysia's GDP allows it to be strong but seeing that it's close to China and to some extent the US Malaysia isn't too concerned about defense. And AFAIK Malaysia doesn't have any enemies in the region.

As a new military power I would also look at the UAE and Saudi Arabia.

XaNDeR

Malaysia's GDP allows it to be strong but seeing that it's close to China and to some extent the US Malaysia isn't too concerned about defense. And AFAIK Malaysia doesn't have any enemies in the region.

I doubt that UAE and Saudi Arabia in the next 50 years will come even close of beeing a major world power ..

swerve

Super Moderator
Malaysia's GDP allows it to be strong ...

UAE doesn't have the wealth (total, not per head), population or technological base to be a major military power. Saudi Arabia is too dependent on foreign expertise. Malaysias GDP does not allow it to be a major power.

Malaysias GDP in 2006 (US$)
Exchange rate converted: 149 billion - about the same as Chile, less than Portugal, Finland or Ireland. Major military power?
PPP: 301 billion - between Austria & Sweden, behind Bangladesh & Belgium.

(Source: World Bank Quick Reference Tables, 01-Jul-2007 update)

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
BE AFRAID!
THE BELGIANS ARE COMING!!!! :D

Serious.
Hear what Swerve has to say.
I do wonder about some of the speculations here.
Major military powers of the future!!!
For this you need money, know how, economical base and a big population as well as the will!

Before other interesting sugestions are made one should think about if this is given. ;)

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Feeling the urge to throw my US$0.02 in... What is the purpose behind this thread? Having read through some of the suggestions posted, I have to wonder if this thread has any real merit, or if it will descend into a "size-measuring" contest on which nation in the future will have the largest/best/etc military.

If people can make a suggestion on a specific country which will have a powerful military in the future, and then support the assertion in a logical fashion that would be good.

-Cheers

T-95

UAE doesn't have the wealth (total, not per head), population or technological base to be a major military power. Saudi Arabia is too dependent on foreign expertise. Malaysias GDP does not allow it to be a major power.

Malaysias GDP in 2006 (US$)
Exchange rate converted: 149 billion - about the same as Chile, less than Portugal, Finland or Ireland. Major military power?
PPP: 301 billion - between Austria & Sweden, behind Bangladesh & Belgium.

(Source: World Bank Quick Reference Tables, 01-Jul-2007 update)
I was talking about in their regions. But maybe not. It said major military power not military world power.

f-22fan12

To me the U.S. is the dominent military power for atleast another 40 years. By that time, China will overtake the U.S. in military power. Why, they wouldn't be able to use all of their economy to fund it. Their economy is the Second largest in the world now, in 40 years it will be first without question. India is also using its newfound economic power to fund a powerful military. The Pakistani military will not become more powerful. The Pakistani economy isn't a great one and they have many internal problems. (military coups, suicide bombers)
A list of military power.
When: 2007
1. U.S.
2. U.K. AND France These two countries are tied.
3. China
4. Russia
5. Italy
6. India
7. Japan
And so on.

f-22fan12

Now there is a point. And Russia is still a major military power. Never really went out of that league.
Russia will steadily LOSE its military capability. Many of the weapons currently in the Russian armed forces were funded back in the SOVIET UNION NOT Russia. (Su-27, Typhoon SSBN, and many more...) Remember Russia's economy is still smaller that Italy's or France's yet they have twice the people, several times the land, and alot more resources. :)

Brandon

I think that we should count all the countries of the EU as one as they have a common defense agreement and will not have a war amongst each other. By counting them as one, I believe the order is:
1. U.S.A.
2. E.U.
3. China
4. Russia
5. India

f-22fan12

What?

I think that we should count all the countries of the EU as one as they have a common defense agreement and will not have a war amongst each other. By counting them as one, I believe the order is:
1. U.S.A.
2. E.U.
3. China
4. Russia
5. India
A common defense agreement, PLEASE EXPLAIN.

swerve

Super Moderator
A common defense agreement, PLEASE EXPLAIN.
You didn't know?

The EU has a security & defence policy, the ESDP. It's possible for members to opt out of it, but AFAIK only Denmark has done so, & Denmark is an observer member of the WEU, a western European collective defence agreement dating from before NATO was created, so involved through another route.

The WEU became dormant for many years, but was revived in the 1980s under EU auspices. Since 2000, its functions have been taken over by the EU under the ESDP , though the treaty remains in force. I'm not sure how the three non-EU associate members relate to the ESDP.

Basically, if NATO went away, the EU members & the European NATO members would all still have a mutual defence agreement.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Just some addenda.

Denmark has four opt-outs from the EU agreements. One is on defence; the Euro is another.

It is likely that joining the ESDP and the Euro will put to referendum inside a few years.

Currently the electorate is in favour of a yes to both.

You didn't know?

The EU has a security & defence policy, the ESDP. It's possible for members to opt out of it, but AFAIK only Denmark has done so, & Denmark is an observer member of the WEU, a western European collective defence agreement dating from before NATO was created, so involved through another route.

The WEU became dormant for many years, but was revived in the 1980s under EU auspices. Since 2000, its functions have been taken over by the EU under the ESDP , though the treaty remains in force. I'm not sure how the three non-EU associate members relate to the ESDP.

Basically, if NATO went away, the EU members & the European NATO members would all still have a mutual defence agreement.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I hope so.
For somebody who lives just one hour away from Denmark it is really a pain in the ass that you don't have the €!!!! :mad: ;)

f-22fan12

You didn't know?

I never knew this. I'm usually on top of things like this but knowing how slow things move in the E.U., I thought the common defence would never actually happen. I'm pleased that Europe has finally agreed on this.

So its like NATO for Europe? I think the E.U. didn't need this because there is always NATO, and Europe and the other NATO members won't disagree.

However, as someone in this thread did, If you rank the E.U. as one military power, you have to rank NATO as a military power as well. We all know NATO is the #1 in military power.

Thanks for explaining. :)

XaNDeR

China is militarily stronger than Russia? please .. thats the most stupid thing I heard in a while

edit. Il put India ahead of China too

USA
Russia
India
UK
China

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Why do I have a dejavú about the famous my **** is bigger than yours...uh I mean...who has the most powerfull armed forces threads of the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.