M1A1, the indestructible Tank?

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The first few vehicles rolling of the production line not having TIs which was rectified soon after is something different to being ready but not fitted with something like an independent commanders periscope until a mich later version appears on the scene.

IMO the 2 seconds one probably saves from the gunner being able to use the charging handle isn't an offset to the loader being able to faster clear more complicated stopgaps or change barrells. But that's my opinion which doesn't need to be shared.

I agree that the radio could be in a better position for easier access by the loader (not that he can't reach it but it's really uncomfortable and not very usefull). I just corrected the impression you gave of conscript armies.

I know where this is heading so I stop here...;)

Nevertheless I am still interested in wether the Abrams has an integrated fuel pump?

Methos

Somehow I always end up ressurecting older threads (even though probably noone will reply to me). Well, I just read this thread and have seen quite a few reasons why the urge to answer (and correct some statments) in me rises.
I hope this is not seen as problem by the moderators/administrators of this forum.

First of all to come back to the beginning of this thread:
Every tank is destructible. The good performance of the M1 during Gulf War is based on a variety of reason, but the main reason should be the fact that the largest part of tanks used were M1A1HA or M1A1HC with reinforced armour just developed a few years prior the war.
The first version of the M1 Abrams was designed to survive hits from 115 mm APFSDS fro 800 m as KE threat and 127 mm shaped charges as CE threat (see Hunnicutts book about the Abrams). It appears that the Soviet Union did not use tungsten-cored or DU APFSDS for their 115 mm gun at this time.
Zaloga therefore assumes that the M1 protection was equivalent to 350 mm RHA vs KE and 700 mm - enough to survive 115 mm steel cored APFSDS and ITOW missiles. Contemporary Soviet APFSDS would have pierced through the armour from 1,500 - 2,000 m at least.
The U.S. were aware that there requirements were too low to protect from contemporary Soviet anti-tank ammunition (they also knew that the 105 mm gun was too small to effectively deal with a T-72) and thickened the front turret armour on subsequent models (IPM1, M1A1) by ~220 mm (it might be that they changed the composition of the armour at this time).
Four years later the armour was again changed, this time without thickening, but DU was incorporated.

The Iraqi army did only have ammunition which was used by the Soviets before the first M1 tank was built. This ammunition was only made of steel and would have probably been capable of dealing with the basic M1 model from 1,200 - 1,500 m range, but nearly all Abrams tanks used in Gulf War were M1A1 models (of which the majority was HA or HC configuration). According to the Osprey face-off title "M1 Abrams vs T-72 Ural" only 2 of 36 M1 squadrons/battalions were basic M1s, and these were not alligned to armored/calavry units, but to the 1st Infantry Division. Iraqis were no threat to the M1A1s/M1A1HAs.

I doubt that the story with the 4 x M829A1 versus a knocked-out M1A1(HA). I have read this story somewhere else too, but it just doesn't make any sense, it is probably a myth. Why? Because there are many place where even older APFSDS can penetrate the armour of the M1A1(HA). The mantlet armour is less than half as thick as the turret front armour, so is the side armour. The hull front armour is 1/3 - 1/4 thinner than the turret front armour... the soldiers shooting with APFSDS at the turret front to disable it would be pretty dumb - the soldiers I have met are not.

The armour thickness is not the same at every place, hull side armour can be perforated by medium caliber cannons, so can the rear armour. No tank is indestructible.

Here is a drawing about the side armour of the M1A1HA, based on images of a damaged vehicle. The outermost layer of the armour is RHA, followed by a shock-mounted spaced armour combination. After this many sloped layers of what appears to be NERA follow, and further inside is a laminate of three layers - if there are DU layers or ceramics in the side armour, they have to be located here.

Short correction of some statements (sorry could not resist):

The German Leopard 2 might use "Chobham armour". Official UK documents show that Burlington armour (the official designation, Chobham is an inofficial name) was presented to the Germans already in 1970.
The Germans did have some cooperation with the UK, including the development of a common MBT during the time the Leopard 2 was believed. I think that some author also mentioned directly that "Chobham armour" was given to the Germans.
However the Germans decided not to field the basic Chobham armour, but instead developed an own version following the same design/working mechanism. There are claims that this has been done because Chobham did have a unsatisfactory performance when it comes to KE protection. According to the declassified UK files Burlington (at least the 1970s version) was per weight not worse in KE protection than normal steel - this does not exclude the possibility that it might have a higher mass-efficiency than 1, but it seems to be improbable. Since the contemporary 125 mm APFSDS did have a penetration of 500+ mm RHAe on short ranges, the armour would need to weigh as much as 500+ mm steel than.

The British L30 gun and the CHARM 3 APFSDS are, contrary to what has been said here, inferior to the smoothbore gun and ammunition. The CHARM 3 APFSDS is the fastest UK APFSDS developed ever, but has a muzzle velocity of only 1,650 m/s and a length of below 70 cm. The US M829A2 APFSDS has a muzzle velocity of 1,680 m/s and a length of 78 cm, while the German 120 mm DM53 APFSDS has a length of 75 cm and a muzzle velocity of 1,750 m/s.
While the barrel of the L30 tank gun is longer than the basic Rh 120 and the M256, it is rifled - this results in a 20 - 30% greater surface -> 20 - 30% more friction. Furthermore the L30 tank gun cannot support as much pressure as the Rh 120, which means that the higher friction cannot be nullified by the use of more propellant.

I wonder if anyone has a source regarding the claims that the Panzer 87WE was offered to Australia... that does not make any sense. I am sorry for this, [Admin. Deleted] , but I have to question the validity of your claims unless you can provide a source for them. Various internet discussions on websites like this have shown me that distrusting any claims which cannot be verfied after hour long google-ing or taking a look into literature is the best idea, because personal likings and patriotism is always a factor in discussions. When the Australians ordered their tanks, the Panzer 87 WE was still in development phase.
You also claim that the M1A1 AIM was found to be better protected... how comes when the Pz 87WE has thicker and more modern armour?

And a last thing I would like to comment on: the M1 vs Leopard 2 part. I know that "versus"-threads/posts are not allowed here, but this has already been started and I think that I and all other people who have posted and are willing to contribute here will doing this factually. Else feel free to delete this part, but then you actually should also delete a few posts by[Admin. Deleted] .

We don't know if the M1A1 has thicker armour than the Leopard 2. The basic M1 is estimated to have between 600 mm estimates done by pro-Russians) and 740 mm (estimates done by pro-US people) turret armour thickness. How thick the armour is exactly is unkown to us, most estimates are affected by patriotism. Wikipedia assumes a thickness of ~650 mm, but there is no source given - maybe this was added by a soldier who did inofficially meassure the armour or the value was added by some fanboy... However I think ~65 cm is more reasonable than ~75 cm, because the Russians did manage to achieve nearly immunity against 105 mm APFSDS (which are made of heavy metal alloys) from as close as 500 m with 60 cm armour. The armour however was less sophisticated and weighs probably more than Burlington would weigh.
If we add the ~220 mm reported in literature, then the values will increase to 820 - 960 mm (wiki reports 880 mm). The actually known armour thickness of the Leopard 2 (up to 2A5) is 840 mm (measured by differently people independently) - so in worst case the M1A1 has slightly less armour, in best case significantly more. However that would mean that the US would need ~120 mm more armour, for reaching the same level of protection (near immunity against 125 mm rounds) at least under the assumption that the armour offers the same protection per space.
The claim that a "single package" of armour will offer more protection is something [Admin. Deleted] made up in his mind (and people inventing "facts" are a reason why internet discussions always end up with no result) - in fact spaced armour is per weight (not per thickness) always more efficient as a single armour package. The Leopard 2A5 wedges consist of multiple NERA-layers (this is the reason why the applique armour is sloped) and according to literature they are made of HHS (high-hardness steel). Research files (e.g. Int. Symposium of Ballistics) have shown that a single 36 mm line-of-sight NERA layer made of 440 HB steel and rubber is already capable of significantly damaging the penetrator in similar ways as heavy ERA. The empty space is there to allow the fragments of the penetrator to spread (so that the energy is not focused on a single point). The "armour box" in the frontal wedge contains two layers each with a LOS-thickness of ~7 cm and the empty space is partial occupied by other NERA layers (but these cover only a small aspect of the frontal profile). The Leopard 2A5 turret weighs as much as the M1A2 turret, while the M1A2 has a larger frontal profile under armour and does have twice as much composite armour at the sides... the Leopard 2A5 is better protected.
There is also no reason to assume that the most dense material in the Leopard 2 armour is steel - we don't know the composition, some people believe that there is tungsten inside (wikipedia among others). However dense materials does not mean superior protection. HHS is stronger against KE than DU per thickness and per weight (at least than pure DU and an alloy which was reported in the Int. Journal of Impact Engineering). Weightwise ceramics and NERA (however not thicknesswise) are more efficient than DU vs shaped charges (where the penetration process is dependent on density).

On the early models there is still plenty of armour behind the EMES-15 (gunner's sight) - about 65 cm. This is less than the rest of the turret, but it might be more space-efficient armour (which then would be less weight-efficient). Depending on estimate this is as much armour as the M1 has on the front and is always as much (or even slightly more) than the Leopard 2 (without hull applique) and the M1 have at the glacis. Surely a weak spot, but the glacis of every tank is also a weak spot. On the Leopard 2 the size of the mantlet was reduced and the sight was moved, resulting in the closure of all potential "ballistic gaps", while the mantlet of the M1 is the same as always.
The radio is positioned in such a way that the commander can operate it - it is his task. It might be that the U.S. prefers to let the loader operate the radio, but that's depending on doctrine. In early M1 and M1A1 the commander did have not a periscope, while the M1A2 does not feature a daysight-channel for it.

Regarding the hull ammo - did you notice that this is located in a very safe place (i.e. from +/- 30° always as much armour as the glacis has has to be penetrated) and that every country except the U.S. does store some ammo unisolated in the hull? A tank is made by adopting many different compromises in the design (which depend on the needs of the builder). The U.S. carry nearly twice as much composite armour at the turret sides (without getting better crew protection, as the turret bustle is not connected with the crew comparment), which is a drawback other countries did not want to accept. In the end the Leopard 2 did win every comparision with the M1 (including the US evaluation) except the Australian.

Last edited by a moderator:

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I am just curious, what ever happened to the idea of replacing one bank of batteries in an M-1 with a small rotory type engine to be used as an APU? Did this ever progress as it seems like a no brainer to have a generator seperate from the main engine for when the tank is stationary, keeping the batteries charged and all required systems powered up without draining the tanks running the GT.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I am just curious, what ever happened to the idea of replacing one bank of batteries in an M-1 with a small rotory type engine to be used as an APU? Did this ever progress as it seems like a no brainer to have a generator seperate from the main engine for when the tank is stationary, keeping the batteries charged and all required systems powered up without draining the tanks running the GT.
The generator has been mounted in a box at the rear of the turret bustle.

sgtgunn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The coax position does not mean major stoppages aren’t handled by the loader. Having the MG on the gunner’s side means the gunner can operate the charging handle for immediate actions to clear the more common type of jam. Giving the gunner this role is a quicker response because he is the person who has first hand knowledge of a jam and can just reach up and pull the handle and keep on firing. If he needs the loader to do the IA he has to call up the loader on the intercom and the loader has to stop doing whatever he was doing to IA the MG so it can keep on firing.

If there is a more serious jam and the IA isn’t enough then the loader has to pull the MG from the mount and open up the breech. The loader can do this just as easy on a right of the breech mounted coax as on the left. It just requires the loader to move to behind the breech to pull the MG out. A much smaller additional impost compared to the gunner having to communicate to the loader and the loader having to stop what they are doing just to pull a charge handle.

Of course you could just replace the gas (MAG) or recoil (MG3) operated coax with an externally powered Ex 51 type gun with an automatic IA function to clear any jam as on the CR2. That way the coax will never fire because it will always jam no matter what the crew do!
While the loader can access the coax M240 to work a serious stoppage or swap the gun with his M240, it is not something I would want to contemplate during an engagement. There is not an awful lot of room in the turret and safety would require the loader to keep the main gun safed and elevation uncouple the gun to keep from being pummeled by the breech if the tank is moving or the gunner is scanning. If there was a serious stoppage requiring remedial action rather than just immediate action, you'd probablty wait until the engaement was over (or at least a good pause) and just swap the loader's gun with the coax and let him mess with it when he had time.

The M240 is pretty damn reliable though, and as long as you keep it decently lubricated it rarely has stoppages - and the ones I've encountered are pretty easily cleared by the gunner performing IA - usually just just giving the charging lanyard a yank or two (and swearing).

The Hughes EX-34 seems like a pretty neat weapon though - I read it was developed by the US and while it performed extremely well, wasn't adopted. Anyone have any idea why not? (cost is my guess?)

Adrian

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I hope this is not seen as problem by the moderators/administrators of this forum.
It is an issue when your own response lacks accuracy and thus flows into a perception issue of whether you also know what you are talking about,

eg your reference to armour thickness and modernity, descriptions about penetration comparisons are also flawed

a critical vector here is that those who are blue tagged and def profs are people whose background has been established and verified and often are SME's in the areas that they respond in. Invariably people who are DP's and who respond to these threads are blackhats or who are industry based (eg we have people who have worked as engineers for Rheinmetal, KrausMafei etc....

Lastly, leave the modding to the mods - and its unacceptable to name individuals in threads. Its poor form and there are better ways to get your point and/or contentions across

Methos

It is an issue when your own response lacks accuracy and thus flows into a perception issue of whether you also know what you are talking about,

eg your reference to armour thickness and modernity, descriptions about penetration comparisons are also flawed

a critical vector here is that those who are blue tagged and def profs are people whose background has been established and verified and often are SME's in the areas that they respond in. Invariably people who are DP's and who respond to these threads are blackhats or who are industry based (eg we have people who have worked as engineers for Rheinmetal, KrausMafei etc....

Lastly, leave the modding to the mods - and its unacceptable to name individuals in threads. Its poor form and there are better ways to get your point and/or contentions across
Thank you for your answer. But could you please try to clarify your critique. Where exactly is my data faulty? What is wrong with my data about armour thickness and where exactly are my "penetration comparisons" flawed?

To shortly recapitulate what I wrote:
About M1
  • No tank is impenetrable, as the armour thickness differs and the glacis or the mantlet are typically less armoured
  • The largest part of the U.S. tank force consisted of upgraded M1A1s (i.e. HA and HCs) - the upgrade started in 1988 (e.g. compare with M1 Abrams Vs T-72 Ural by Steven J. Zaloga)
  • First M1 models were not designed to withstand 125 mm rounds, but rather 115 mm APFSDS from 800 m (M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank 1982 - 1992, Abrams - A History of the American Main Battle Tank by R.P. Hunnicutt)
  • Soviet 125 mm APFSDS can penetrate more armour at ~2,000 m range than the 115 mm APFSDS can penetrate at 800 m
  • Subsequently IPM1 and M1A1 (and M1A2) have a thickened turret, armour thickness was increased by about 9 inches [~220 mm] (again Zaloga's M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank 1982 - 1992)
  • The ammunition used by the Iraqis was first introduced prior the first M1 was made. The available export ammunition for non-Warpac countries was: 3VBM-3, 3VBM-6, 3VBM-7, 3VBM-8, 3VBK-7 and 3VBK-10; all of them come from 1962 - 1972 (According to M1 Abrams Vs T-72 Ural and DOIs from Fofanov's website)
  • The M829A1 should be able to perforate glacis, mantlet, rear and sides of the M1A1HA without any trouble, therefore the report that 4 M829A1s were used without any effect against a static, damaged M1A1HA from short range seems to be a myth

My corrections to previous posts:
  • The Leopard 2 might use Chobham armour as some German authors describe the armour as Chobham-like, the Germans did cooperate on developing a new tank with the UK and there are official UK files (album is on Flicker, linking to this place does not work here) showing that Chobham was presented to the Germans as early as of 1970
  • The L30 tank gun is inferior to the current counterparts fielded on other tanks - this is based on the lower pressure, increased surface (see Kampfpanzer: Entwicklungen der Nachkriegszeit by Rolf Hilmes)

The only left part is the reply to the claims made previously that the M1 would outperform the Leopard 2. I do not have exact values for the armour thickness of the M1, however I provided both high and lower bound estimates from pro-American and pro-Russian sources/other forums, which are based on measurements of images and drawings. For the Leopard 2 - 2A4 we have exact values, I already posted the images proving this in the "T-90 compared to Western armor" thread.
About performance and design of armour I do not have a single source. There exist images from test armour arrays tested (for what is claimed to be "Chobham armour" a few images can be found in the internet on a Russian website, for the German Leopard 2 there exist photos but I have been asked not to repost them), but the "special armour"-part is not shown, i.e. no details about the construction. But we can roughly estimate this based on thickness, weight, known armour designs (e.g. patents, other fielded vehicles) and in the case of the M1 I posted a link to an image which shows how the armour array of the M1A1 probably looks, based on a damaged M1A1HA.
That spaced armour is more efficient per weight is a fact known in literature and research papers. Regarding DU and the wedge-shaped armour of the Leopard 2A5 I already posted that the Int. Symposium of Ballistics and the Int. Journal of Impact Engineering have more information about it and it's performance.
I do not see exactly were I am inaccurate. Please tell me if you want me to make some things more clear.

The reason why I named another member of this forum was because I have seen that he had posted just a few hours before I wrote my post and therefore was hoping to get a reply on this topic.

I am no "def pro" because I have not worked in the military... but as far as I understood this is no forum were the people
I also doubt that there is any forum member who has worked for a company like KMW or Rheinmetall in a position where he had access to data relevant to this discussion - my experience with (non-military) industry has shown that you are typically not allowed to talk about sensitive details of your work in the internet.

In the end this thread contains multiple times the claim that the Pz 87 WE would have been shortlisted by the Australian government, who later bought a version of the M1A1 in 2004. However the Pz 87 WE did not exist in 2004. The programme for upgrading the Pz 87 was officially authorized in 2006. The first prototypes lacking the applique armour seem to have been made somewhere in 2008 - 2009, but due to technical problems the first upgraded tanks were fielded in 2010/11.

Edit: Some minor correction not connected to this post: Only once the M1 was capable to win the CAT competitions (in 1987), this was the only time the M1 won and the only time it outperformed the Leopard 2 in CAT shootings.

Rimasta

Actually, yus I was wrong on that one, actually, I was wrong in general about an Abrams being destroyed due to a shot from a 100 mm gun or a BMP for that matter. All that happened was that a 73 mm shell from a BMP-1 hit an Abrams, did some damage to the .50 cal machine gun, and wounded one guy. As regards to the 100 mm shell, yes it did come from a T-55, two 100 mm HEAT rounds damaged the Gunner's sight of a an Abrams but that was it.
I believe the hit was actually from a U.S. manufactured recoiless rifle sold to the Iraqi's and they had a number of these old anti-tank weapons. The Abrams was taking part in the first thunder run into Baghdad up the main highway leading to Baghdad International Airport and was hit apparently at a low angle. The Halon gas suppressed the fire but the fuel line was cut and kept spilling fuel on the super hot engine. Anyone who has been around them knows abrams tank engines get damn hot! The entire column stopped while the crew attempted to douse the flames. Eventually they abandoned the tank and tossed thermite inside the turret and spreading 120mm rounds on the turret floor. Later an air force jet fired a Maverick and the Iraqi's showed the burnt out hull to the press & claimed they did all that damage. I don't recall the exact unit but it was the 3rd Infantry out of Fort Stewart and the tank was named "Cojone eh?" But from what I gather the mobility kill was scored by an unseen shooter most likely a recoiless rifle hitting the very rear of the tank near the engine grill.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Thank you for your answer. But could you please try to clarify your critique. Where exactly is my data faulty? What is wrong with my data about armour thickness and where exactly are my "penetration comparisons" flawed?
Armour is not just about thickness, Compound armour, relative to RHA, relative to plate is degrees of magnitude thinner but far more resistant to similar penetrators

Armour is also not about kinetic stoppage - its about the platforms capacity to influence the outcome, be it deflection, destruction or advanced interception or pre-alert via reactive solutions such as trophy

I'd add that I have been involved in armour vehicle evaluations and that included early evaluations of platforms such as the enhanced Leo1, Canadian upgrade offers, LAV/Stryker comparisons and 3 different IFV's. Thats been at the company and govt level.

Although lots of claims are made about penetration of various armour types I can tell you point blank that a lot of them are academic nonsense as none of the privileged data has ever reached the public domain, despite how enthusiastic the claims are.. In fact there are armoured vehicles built in the 70's where that data is still regarded as classified

Similarly on the issues of why certain platforms are selected when the apparent kinetic results would seem to indicate that another should have ignores a multitude of other things where we make final decisions. that includes issues of interoperability, training, logistics tails, sustainment tails

its why we frown upon a vs b threads as they dumbed down to levels of comparison which have no influence on overall decisions. Typically they're dumbed down to bang and bling

Re german offers to australia, it is common knowledge within those who worked in army and procurement about what was offered to australia - and not only heavy armour. In fact the anger you might see from some is about the frustration that was generated when various NATO countries (mainly germany) offered NO Warstock at ridiculous prices.

nobody in here who works at the approp level is going to field real material in the open - esp when partner nations still operate some of this gear - its basic OPSEC. Thats not meant to be dismissive - its common sense. Unfort the growth of the internet hasn't been accompanied by a corresponding awareness of understanding that not all material on the net has the integrity to be used as unimpeachable fact.

eg. in all exercises I've been involved in I can tell you point blank that the data used to build red team assets comes from actual inspection of said assets, from the manufacturers, from friendly countries who have had access to that gear and from partners who have tech inspection teams whose only job is to look at and inspect red team gear for future planning and protection.

that is the reality of how OSINT material is treated within militaries as opposed to source data..

The issue of naming a member was how I as a mod perceived the intent - and your follow on comments I considered it personal as it questioned truthfulness and ipso facto their competency. I for one would be loathe to question the competency of any of the defprofs as I know what we do to establish their credentials. I may disagree with some of their analysis, or their conclusions, but thats an issue of sorting through the noise of analysis and understanding why certain outcomes reached conclusion etc....

If that was not your intent, then perhaps pause and review before hitting enter

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
But from what I gather the mobility kill was scored by an unseen shooter most likely a recoiless rifle hitting the very rear of the tank near the engine grill.

Its been a while since I saw the actual image and someone like Abe might have access in his vast library of OSINT.

it was however regarded as a silver bullet type shot as it penetrated in a thin skin area which happned to cause a mobility kill, I don't think anyone who did the post event analysis regarded it as a repeatable and deliberate shot.

IIRC that area of vulnerability has also been attended to since.

all tanks can be killed. its about difficulty and likelihood in given threat scenarios

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
nobody in here who works at the approp level is going to field real material in the open - esp when partner nations still operate some of this gear - its basic OPSEC. Thats not meant to be dismissive - its common sense. Unfort the growth of the internet hasn't been accompanied by a corresponding awareness of understanding that not all material on the net has the integrity to be used as unimpeachable fact.
Elements of the original BURLINGTON file from Chobham circa 1970 have been declassified and are available via the British Archives. But this is first generation stuff that only used metallic tiles and is now 40 years old. Even then the performance is impressive.

As to “Cojone Eh” the initial hit from a shaped charge was to the rear flank and just a mobility kill as it started a fire amongst the batteries. If the tank had been in a liner battle it would have been recovered and returned to the battle in the space of hours. But because they were conducting a raid they had to leave it behind and disable it. The amount of ordnance this tank took and still looked intact is truly remarkable. Apart from the internal demolition charges the tail end Abrams shot a 120m round right into the rear of the turret under the bustle. The USAF then hit it with a Maverick and JDAM and it was still intact enough for the Iraqis to try and recover it. But they just towed it off the road and cleared out when more jets showed up. It sat on the side of the road until the US Army returned to pick it up.

The story of this tank is covered in David Zucchino's excellent book “Thunder Run”. Someone has put an excerpt of the “Cojone Eh” story from the hit up until the decision to abandon it online.

http://www.dejawolf.com/cojonefire/cojone-eh.html

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
In the end this thread contains multiple times the claim that the Pz 87 WE would have been shortlisted by the Australian government, who later bought a version of the M1A1 in 2004. However the Pz 87 WE did not exist in 2004. The programme for upgrading the Pz 87 was officially authorized in 2006. The first prototypes lacking the applique armour seem to have been made somewhere in 2008 - 2009, but due to technical problems the first upgraded tanks were fielded in 2010/11.
The Pz 87 WE did exist in 2004 and was offered to the Australian Army. In 2006 the PRODUCTION of the Pz 87 WE was authorised for the Swiss Army. But this does not mean that before this date the design, prototypes, etc. and the ability to rebuild 50 odd Pz 87s to this standard for export to Australia did not exist.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The Hughes EX-34 seems like a pretty neat weapon though - I read it was developed by the US and while it performed extremely well, wasn't adopted. Anyone have any idea why not? (cost is my guess?)
It has a very poor reputation for reliability in the British Army. Also an Ex 34 is far more expensive than a M240.

Methos

Armour is not just about thickness, Compound armour, relative to RHA, relative to plate is degrees of magnitude thinner but far more resistant to similar penetrators
This is true, but we were talking about the Leopard 2 and the M1. The M1 used British Burlington ("Chobham") armour, the Germans did have access to this armour, but decided to field an own version (at least according to some German authors). Essentially we have two very similar types of armour on a similar level of technology - therefore we should be able to say that the thicker armour (where more weight is distributed into) should offer better protection.
Furthermore we know what the American requirements for protection were (i.e. resistance against 115 mm APFSDS at 800 m and a 127 mm shaped charge).
In NATO tank design there is a sort of analogy - when the M1A1HA was introduced in 1988 the Germans did start the manufacture of the 6th batch of Leopard 2s with improved armour protection. Likewise there is later a whole sub-generation of tanks with improved armour all fielded in a timeframe smaller than 7 years (M1A2, Leclerc, Challenger 2 and Leopard 2A5) - if the French know claim that they did use high-quality steel to create a steel-combination used in their composite armour which offersd 1.7 times the protection than normal steel, is it improbable that the other countries used similar technology?

If we would talk about Soviet tanks all would be easier, because we know the composition of the armour used on all except the latest T-90 versions.

Armour is also not about kinetic stoppage - its about the platforms capacity to influence the outcome, be it deflection, destruction or advanced interception or pre-alert via reactive solutions such as trophy
Deflection on armour is not possible (only slopes of ~10-12° and smaller deflect current HEAT and APFSDS rounds) and APS do not really fit in the timeframe we are talking about.

The Pz 87 WE did exist in 2004 and was offered to the Australian Army. In 2006 the PRODUCTION of the Pz 87 WE was authorised for the Swiss Army. But this does not mean that before this date the design, prototypes, etc. and the ability to rebuild 50 odd Pz 87s to this standard for export to Australia did not exist.
No. In 2006 it was decided that the Pz 87 WE will be PROCURED. This means that if the Australians would have bought the Pz 87 WE in 2004/2005 and the trials done by the Swiss government would have a negative result, that Australia would have to pay the whole development costs.
I was able to find information about the prototypes. The first prototype of the Pz 87 WE was finished in 2004, so you are right. The Swiss trials however lasted until fall 2005, when the full results were made. Therefore it seems that if Australia really considered the Panzer 87 WE, the whole thing was probably based on considerations. They ordered the M1A1 at a time were the Panzer 87 WE was not even fully tested and the results of most trials were not existing.
Unless one of the Swiss prototypes (if there were more than one) was shipped to Australia for some sort of trials in hot climates (which normally isn't done with Swiss equipment!) the Australian government did not really consider the Panzer 87 WE as a real option as they did no have access to them.

Elements of the original BURLINGTON file from Chobham circa 1970 have been declassified and are available via the British Archives. But this is first generation stuff that only used metallic tiles and is now 40 years old. Even then the performance is impressive.
This is one of the problems. We don't know how Burlington looks. Yes, literature generally describes it as ceramic tiles in a honeycomb-structure sandwiched between metal plates (aluminium or steel).
The files do not mention any "metallic tiles", i.e. they do not mention which materials are used. However here is some interessting quote. It mentions that ceramic layers inside the armour are more or less not the point defining Burlington armour, because the principle Burlington works is different.
The problem with Burlington is that literature claims something which can not be proven and only hardly supported. Ceramic armours have been made by various countries, however noone claimed similar performance as Chobham and most countries abandonned the use of ceramic armour (CAWA was not adopted in Poland, Soviets decided not to use ceramics anymore on their latest generation of tanks). Some books claim that the thick applique armour used on the Warrior MICVs is "Chobham armour", however there exist images were non-detonated RPG rounds or large fragments of them are stuck in the armour - which means that the armour is not solid, but at least partial hollow.
Many people believe that "Chobham" is a mixture of passive and reactive (rubber sandwiched between steel) armour.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Methos you are posting a lot of crap on this forum because you have a limited knowledge source which doesn’t cover the various things you want to talk about. Trying to backwards analyse everything from this flawed and limited information is very popular on the internet but totally misleading.

As to the Pz 87 WE everything you have said is wrong, except for admitting I was right. The offer to Australia did not include total cost of the development and so on. The system was fully developed and the Swiss made a very competitive cost offer compared to the M1A1 AIM. If you were less of a poseur in your posting I would happily point you to various detailed sources on this matter but its best for now that you stew in your own soup.

As to Chobham armour again your ignorance is showing. The nature of BURLINGTON is no secret as it has been declassified and you can walk into the British national archive and read all about it. Well you don’t even need to do that because others have done so and made the information available. Using conjecture by journalists feed by counter intelligence in the 1980s when the factual stuff is now available doesn’t get you anywhere.

SteelTiger 177

A great tank

This is one of the best tanks in the world along with the British Challenger and the IDFs Merkava 4 and if well maintained and the crews(be they U.S.Army or Marine Corps) continue to be.

Methos

You apparently are not interested in a discussion, so I will stop posting in this thread after this post.
I try to base all my claims on reliable sources. And when someone asks or describes my posts as inaccurate, as the mod did, then I will name them or link to them.
When I posted, I asked wether someone has a sources for the claims that the Pz 87 WE was offered to Australia or was tested there ("I wonder if anyone has a source regarding the claims that the Panzer 87WE was offered to Australia"), because I was not aware that the tank existed in 2004. But you did not provide a source...
Therefore I did some more research and was able to find an offical report of the Swiss government, which says that the prototypes of the Panzer 87 WE were first finished in March 2004 and subsequently these were trialled and tested until Fall 2005 - at this time the Australians already had ordered another tank. So if Australia did evaluate the Pz 87 WE (and not only consider it on paper), then the evaluation had to be done at the same time as the Swiss did test the (or their) prototypes.
For what I did not mention a source and also will not provide, is that the Australians would have to pay the R&D costs if they would have adopted the Pz 87 WE and the Swiss would have rejected it. This is because Switzerland (like Germany) does only pay a small amount of the R&D costs at the beginning, with the rest of it being paid as part of the per-unit-costs after the tank was ordered (and this happened in 2006 with the Pz 87 WE). For the 350 million CHF they could have replaced their Pz 87s on a one-to-one base with T-90s.

Ok, I am the one posting crap here...
You claim that a spaced armour would always be inferior to a single cavity, which is not true as various research papers and books say. This for example is a comparision between a single 70 mm steel plate and a spaced array of the same weight (i.e. 3 x 10 mm and 2 x 20 mm plates) against a 100 mm EFP... guess what perfromed better?
You also claimed that the densest part of the M1A1 armour is DU and therefore the M1A1 should be better protected - but papers published in a international journal have shown that DU on it's own does not perform better than hardned steel against kinetic energy, while it's advantage against shaped charges is depending on density, meaning that there is no real weight advantage.
You also claimed that the most dense part of the Leopard 2 armour is steel.. so you know the exact composition of the Leopard 2 armour?
And now you claimed that my "ignorance is showing" in the point that "[t]he nature of BURLINGTON is no secret"... is that so... then please provide me a source or name me the files I have to check when I would visit the British national archives. But, as my short experience in this thread with you has shown, you won't do it. However there are sources speaking against your description of Burlington as armour which orignally had "metallic tiles". You might look at the drawing I previously posted, this article p. 106 - 126 (citing 115 sources) in Polish language [but if you copy the text to a translator tool they still can be read based on my personal experience] or look at this image and tell me how a RPG can get struck in the armour box, if the box would filled completely with solid armour. It also does not make much sense to claim "Chobham is made of ceramic tiles" as early as 1981 (from then is the earliest book I own which describes Chobham), when the enemy intelligence is gathering information about your tanks.

lopez

I dont claim to be an expert by any means but isn't that box a storage compartment of sorts bolted to the side of the turret. It appears to have tools hanging out of it. Unless of course the tyre iron penetrated the Abrams aswell :D

or an an armoured skirt that is there for the RPGs to detonate up against rather than the main body of the tank.