M1A1, the indestructible Tank?

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It was HESH most probably, British Army never used HEAT for L11A5 gun, even if there was designed one, I think it was exported, and is used by Chieftain users in middle east.

However there ae rumors that this Iraqi tanks was destroyed not by HESH but by APDS/APFSDS.

It is hard to tell what is truth in this case, also no one mentions how many rounds crew fired before they hit enemy tank.

Firing unguided munitions at such distance is problematic even for tanks with modern FCS, and Challenger 1 had hardly modern and good FCS back then.

Well, probably soon I will be eaten by rifled guns lovers for that blasphemy.:roll
APDS relies on kinetic energy for penetration, not sure but I would have expected a significant reduction in velocity, hence energy,over 5000m which would have made HESH the preferred option for long range engagements.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
IIRC it was HESH. But even a KE hitting at that distance should overmatch the armor of an Iraqi T-55.

The fatal long range blue on blue during Operation Telic in 2003 also happened with HESH. IIRC they needed 3 shots to hit the Challi which they believed to be an enemy AFV. The third HESH entered the commanders hatch...