KC-X goes to Northrop/EADS

Grand Danois

Entertainer
lol. I'm not even sure you know what you're talking about.

Firstly, the bulk tanker fuel is carried in the wings. By only considering palletised cargo, you're already discounting a significant proportion of fuel load from the computation. Taking a 32/19 pallet ratio is already pseudo math not reflecting reality. We're talking tankers and you're talking cargo aircraft. I can't even consider that crude math.

What is reflecting reality is that when a plane goes on a sortie, it will use x lbs of fuel. When another plane goes on the same sortie, it will use y lbs of fuel.

Boeing is contending is that y > x where y = KC-45 and x = kc-767.

The question is simple. Do you agree with that?
I'm talking the use of the tanker as a cargo aircraft. The multirole in MRTT...

Commercial operators look at cost per passenger mile. Why should the USAF not look at pallet and passenger mileage?

I don't know why you try to divert into the tanker part.

You are letting x and y jet travel from a to b, then comparing them discounting what work has actually been done. This does not reflect the true cost per amount of work.

Underlining the importance of the cargo aspect and that the KC-45 is probably cheaper per pallet mile.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Last I heard, the USAF were buying a tanker rather than a cargo aircraft. Even if we're talking about MRTT, your computation on palletised cargo would only be 1/2 the story, assuming that the cargo element is 1/2 the role.
I have not contended that the cargo role made up for ½ or a 1/3 or whatever, but I do have the observation that the cargo role is currently done by C-17 and C-5. And that is an inefficient way of transporting palletized cargo.

So perhaps it is more important in the mission complex relative to the tanker mission, than the "KC" prefix suggests.

Even if let's say we're talking about cargo aircraft, if your computation is based on pallet, isn't that the same as saying fuel per lb? Of course it is. You're claiming that fuel per lb is lower. That again is pseudo math as you have acknowledge. Cos neither of us know exactly how much cargo will the plane carry. Cos that's not the requirement.
You are contending that a transport jet carrying pallets will reach MTOW before it bulks out when loaded - is this so? That would be the premise for what you claim.

I agree we cannot know precisely what the USAF wants from the aircraft. But the USAF knows and made their choice.

Apparently, now we're not even talking about tanker aircraft. That's what you're telling me. We're talking about cargo aircraft cos I'm only allowed to look at palletised cargo? Sorry, but I don't fall for that...

Let's look at the decision, shall we? Last I heard, the DOD was buying next generation air-refueling aircraft. Suddenly, now it becomes MRTT. Amazing...
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=49244
Actually I see a lot of advantages of the KC-45 over the KC-767. Where they differ a lot is in the passenger/transport part, just as more fuel is carried further with less consumption of fuel per lb mile.

What caused me to respond is that the Boeing paper on fuel consumption is every bit as "pseudo" (and perhaps even selective?) as the way I lay out things here, that I see no problem with my "pseudo math". Because it is on the same qualitative level. Actually mine provide a more accurate description, as I look at cost of the work carried out, rather than looking at the fuel consumption of two jets flying from A to B. That it is not perfect evaluation, well... but it is closer to reality. If it is just A to B without taking into account what has been accomplished by doing so, then a Cessna is even cheaper.

It has to be viewed in terms of the work done. What has been accomplished...

Lastly wrt to MRTT,

The primary mission of the KC-X will be to provide aerial refueling to United States military and coalition aircraft in the war on terrorism and other missions. However, the Air Force also intends to take full advantage of the other capabilities inherent in the platform, and make it an integral part of the Defense Transportation System.

"From addressing national security threats to supporting rapid global strikes to providing urgently needed humanitarian operations, joint and coalition operations depend upon the rapid global mobility capabilities which the Air Force aerial tanker provides," said the general.

The RFP stipulates nine primary key performance parameters:

1) Air refueling capability
2) Fuel offload and range at least as great as the KC-135
3) Compliant Communication, Navigation, Surveillance/Air Traffic Management (CNS/ATM) equipment
4) Airlift capability
5) Ability to take on fuel while airborne
6) Sufficient force protection measures
7) Ability to network into the information available in the battle space
8) Survivability measures (defensive systems, Electro-Magnetic Pulse (EMP) hardening, chemical/biological protection, etc.)
9) Provisioning for a multi-point refueling system to support Navy and allied aircraft

Ms. Payton stressed that the department has gone through a rigorous review process for KC-X and has validated the RFP accurately reflects the requirements as laid out by the warfighter.

The final RFP defines an integrated, capability-based, best-value approach. The RFP includes specific factors for assessing the capability contribution of each offeror. Along with cost and assessments of past performance and proposal risk, these factors provide the source selection authority with means to determine the best value between proposals of significantly differing capabilities and cost.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123039360
It seems the MRTT part is very important in context of the current and future overall USAF structure. Best value in contrast to the cheapest solution that makes the requirement.

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
Last I heard, the USAF were buying a tanker rather than a cargo aircraft. ...
Let's look at the decision, shall we? Last I heard, the DOD was buying next generation air-refueling aircraft. Suddenly, now it becomes MRTT. Amazing...
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/news....aspx?id=49244
Nope, it's buying a MRTT, to replace existing MRTTs. The current KC-135s & KC-10s transport cargo as well as acting as tankers. The USAF wants aircraft which can carry cargo & passengers as well as refuelling, and says so, to anyone who'll listen. Transport capability is defined as a secondary need, but it's in the System Requirement Document.

Gen. Norton Schwartz, Commander U.S. Transportation Command (TRANSCOM) testified to the Senate Armed Services Subcommittee on April 4th 2006 that "What we need is a multi-mission tanker that can do both boom and basket refueling, that can do passenger lift, some cargo lift, and have defensive systems that allow the airplane to go wherever we need to take it....if we’re going to war with Iran or Korea or over Taiwan or a major scenario, the first 15 to 30 days are going to be air refueling intensive. But what I’m talking about is the global war on terrorism, sir, for the next 15 or 20 or 25 years. That is not an air refueling intensive scenario and that’s why a multi-mission airplane to me makes sense"

And in this statement dated 27-09-2007 he said "The KC-X must be a dual-mission aircraft capable of multi-point refueling, have significant cargo and passenger carrying capability, and be equipped with appropriate defensive systems. The KC-X will not only fulfill its primary refueling role, but also provide an array of enhanced mobility solutions. A tailored cargo and passenger carrying capability will multiply our transportation options and mitigate wear on the C-17 and C-5."

He said exactly the same in this statement on 21-03-2007

In view of the consistent statements by the officer in charge, & the existence of a formal requirement for the KC-X to be multi-role, perhaps you will reconsider your suggestion that it's "suddenly" become a MRTT.

BTW, both NG/Airbus & Boeing complained during the evaluation that the cargo/passenger requirement statement was too vague, so it was hard for them to know exactly what to offer. It looks as if betting on it being more rather than less significant was the right call. Perhaps NG/Airbus were paying more attention than Boeing to what the USAF was saying about what it wanted.

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
Link pls. Your claim is that EVERY professional who has evaluated the 2 aircraft says so. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to find one.

Absolute rubbish even at cost per ton of fuel. Since your claim is that EVERY professional who has evaluated the 2 aircraft says so. Link pls.

No they didn't. If you say they did, it wouldn't be difficult to find a link that says it.

Pseudo math again. Its like saying the C-5 can carry the most so ALL transport aircraft should be the C-5. I won't even bother to argue this point.

Absolute rubbish. Since you claim that published evaluations show it can use shorter runways. Show it.

Not looking for your bet. You claim EVERY professional who have evaluated the 2 aircraft disagrees with it, link pls.

Thank you for agreeing despite saying EVERY professional who has evaluated the 2 aircraft disagreeing with it.

Is that a fact? Link pls to the top speed.

Is that so? Amazing that GAO mentioned they conveniently to include that in their requirements. See my link above.
I'm getting tired of this. You supply some evidence, & so will I. You made the first claim about top speed: back it up. You made the first claim about runway length: back it up. You made the first claim about range: back it up (and remember that absolute range is irrelevant in this context - it has to be range at which useful amounts of fuel can be offloaded). Etc. You can't make unsubstantiated claims then demand that others disprove them, & call what they say "Absolute rubbish" until they do.

So far, I've provided infinitely more evidence than you, because I've provided some. Put up or shut up.

Oh, and I don't need to provide any links to prove that every professional evaluation of the two aircraft has favoured the A330. The evidence is staring you in the face. As I said - 5 evaluations, 5 selections of the A330. What more proof could you ask for?

There's none so blind as he that will not see.

Pro'forma

QUOTE:weasel

Do you prefer traditional tanker to multi-mission tanker. If there is project
to make, choosing between short-range transmission t.ex. from
Danmark to Belgium, which one you'd thought to be better suited to
fulfill this mission requirement.

Organizational tier up to supporting role, relative conclusions, your mission
relevance is peg to these capabilities you do consider as importance.

guppy

I hope for the USAF that the decision is not overturned. I think either tanker would have worked out. I don't really care about the jobs that might be lost, because America, being the biggest economy in the world, has always been able to cope. Neither do I care about the politics. What I am concerned is that when the warfighter needs some gas, he gets it. Getting the decision blocked and redoing the tender will only do one thing => increase the probability that the guys are not going to get the gas when they need it.

cheers

guppy

Grand Danois

Entertainer
I meant KC-767. Apparently the USAF over-computed the cost relating to the KC-767. Accordingly, the USAF tot in comparison it was getting a bigger plane (KC-45) for the same operational life time cost, this was one of the reasons cited by the USAF to justify the selection of the KC-45.
Ah ok. I thought it was because USAF apparently had understimated KC-45 opreational cost.

superhornet

cheer for USAF

USAF choose a right plane. i really admire USAF which can hold a clean competition and make the best chosse. i like USAF rather than china air force. no tanker , no awacs, no jammer, forget it. it has been reported china has been developing tanker, while i don't see any trail. Is IL-76 is a good platform for a tanker?

as for KC-30, its main contractor is Northrop Grumman, which has lost three major bid . it can't bear another failure. so why USAF choose Northrop Grumman, i think in a large sense, it want to break the monopoly of boeing in tanker and cargo plane. if N G lose the contract, probably it will quit the avion market. this will enhance the lookheed Martin's leading position in plane manufacture.

Boeing wins tanker protest, but drama is far from over

The saga of the Air Force refueling tanker contract is not over by a long shot, though Boeing won a huge victory Wednesday when the Government Accountability Office (GAO) comprehensively backed the company's protest of the initial contract award.
The GAO said it found "a number of significant errors that could have affected the outcome of what was a close competition." It recommended that the Air Force re-run the selection process.
A GAO summary of its ruling outlined seven major mistakes in the Air Force procurement process that detracted from "full and open competition and fairness."

The GAO said the Air Force

• didn't assess the relative merits of the two contending airplanes in accordance with its stated criteria.

• gave Northrop extra credit for exceeding certain performance parameters, when this was expressly not allowed.

• failed to show that the A330 could refuel all of the Air Force aircraft it needs to service.

• misled Boeing about its failure to meet certain performance parameters, while giving fuller information to Northrop.

• dismissed a Northrop failure to agree to an aircraft maintenance plan as only "an adminstrative oversight" when it was a material requirement.

• made unreasonable estimates of the cost of constructing runways, ramps and hangars needed for the larger Airbus jet, which led to the conclusion that Northrop offered lower total program costs — when in fact Boeing's overall cost was lower.

• inappropriately rejected Boeing's estimate of its non-recurring cost to develop the program, using an "unreasonable" model to increase that cost estimate.
The Air Force must formally respond to the GAO recommendations within 60 days.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2008004116_webboeing18.html

Looks like its back to square one.

A

Aussie Digger

Looks like its back to square one.

Perhaps. Funnily enough, USAF doesn't have to agree with this and can plough on ahead anyway...

Non of this detracts however from the fact that the KC-30B IS a better air to air refueller than the KC-767.

Boeing's bid based a large proportion of it's "risk management" on the fact that it has built KC-767's and nominally had them in-service with current air arms around the world (Italy in particular).

It will not be able to claim even this marginal advantage with a KC-777, which IS why it was never provided to USAF in the Boeing proposal and won't be even if the competition is opened again for a 3rd time...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sea Toby

I wonder how much Boeing bribed the GAO?

I guess we'll do the bidding process all over again, and see who drops the price the most.

WALMART tanker buying!

Both aircraft will do the job.

swerve

Super Moderator
I agree that the KC-30 can carry more fuel than the KC-767 and thus measured in such terms can be considered a better aircraft.

I think where the GAO comes from and what I agree is the question of how this applies to the USAF. Questions like: does the USAF need the excess fuel carriage has not been comprehensively answered. That's where the problem lies. As mentioned previously, seen in this light, I think boeing had a case.....
"Where the GAO comes from" is whether the process was followed correctly. In this case, it appears not. It looks as if the USAF may have decided which aircraft it wanted, then used the evaluation to justify its decision, not the other way round.

Unlike last time, where Boeing & the procurement office were so deep in its others pockets Boeing may as well have been running the whole thing, nothing has emerged to suggest any dirty tricks by EADS or NG.

Fuel capacity is only one of the measures the KC-45A (not KC-30B - that's an Australian designation) scored higher on, BTW.

What should be done is not to re-open the whole process, but to evaluate the points where the USAF did not follow the process correctly, & decide whether they made enough difference to affect the result. Probably not, IMO.

Personally, I think Boeings complaints should be treated with contempt. Remember, this is the firm that last time had no credible competitor, & would have walked away with a fat contract for 767 tankers, if it had played it straight. But it couldn't resist cheating.