KC-X goes to Northrop/EADS

Is Monday April 1st? It isnt right???

Lenta.Ru

Russian government company, United Aircraft Corporation
UAC
plans on participating in the RFP bid for the KC-X project for the US Airforce. This was revealed to Agence France-Presse the lawyer representing the corporation. This should be officially announce on Monday.

translate at your discretion

Lenta.ru: Îðóæèå: ÎÀÊ ïîó÷àñòâóåò â êîíêóðñå íà ñîçäàíèå çàïðàâùèêîâ äëÿ ÂÂÑ ÑØÀ

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
This has already been mentioned in the tanker deal thread. Merging.

EDIT: I knew it was too strange to be true. UAC representatives claim that nothing of the sort is in the works. They were allegedly approached by unreliable US intermediaries but have no decision was made.

Additionally, the Il-98 that was supposed to be entered doesn't even exist. What does exist is the Il-96 which is a passenger/cargo plane (different variants). The Il-98 is a proposed tanker derivative. Finally sources indicate that the UAC is not capable of producing the necessary aircraft in the given timeframe in the first place. (nevermind completing the design, experimentation, and testing of the new tanker).

http://lenta.ru/news/2010/03/22/tender/

Last edited:

Davyd

In a few ways that's too bad. The IL-96 is one of the few currently produced 4 engined large aircraft without being overly large. Something like that should appeal to the USAF since they seem to like leaning toward the 4 engine heavies, especially in so crucial a role such as this.

I've seen what i feel though: it's a shame the Hill doesn't truly care about the people who will need it, they just seem to care about the costs and construction and the like. I do so love the spirit of trade and everything, but i can't help but harken back to the 'good old days' when the in-country manufacturers would've either fought it out amongst themselves or one of the traditional 'heavy' producers would've just submitted the design and the AF would've ran with it. Now they can't even let it go until a foreign manufacturer gets in so it can be 'fair'. Meanwhile the current fleet just gets older and their crews have to suffer through it.

swerve

Super Moderator
EDIT: I knew it was too strange to be true. UAC representatives claim that nothing of the sort is in the works. They were allegedly approached by unreliable US intermediaries but have no decision was made....
The US lawyer who claims to have been approached fits that description exactly. He is a very unreliable character.